HDD Partition on my DS PCPost Date: 2014-11-29 |
Post Reply
|
| Author | ||
bmchan
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2009 Online Status: Offline Posts: 33 |
Quote Reply
Topic: HDD Partition on my DS PCPosted: 29 Nov 2014 at 11:06am |
|
|
Can someone explain the logic behind shipping a PC with three disk partitions on the hard drive containing 1TB as follows:
System Reserved (350 MB) - I get this. C: (111GB) - why this size? E: (931GB) - why this size? I'm not a computer geek (no offense - I wish I was) and discovered that my c: drive is full after one year. I can't merge the partitions as they are not adjacent without getting a utility. What is the reason DS does this? Had I been aware (my E: drive is empty) I would have begun to store files there. |
||
![]() |
||
bprat22
DS ELITE
DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Joined: 08 Jun 2011 Online Status: Offline Posts: 20391 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 11:35am |
|
|
If you're asking why a 120gb drive shows only 111GB actual, or a 1TB shows 931gb, then , first it is correct, and second it's because one figure is the decimal and what manufactures label them as for easier marketing, and the lower number is the decimal equivalent that the software actually uses. A drive's storage capacity is really only 93% or so of its advertised size.
1 GB =1024Mb. 1TB=1024GB, or so. Hope that helps a little. |
||
![]() |
||
bmchan
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2009 Online Status: Offline Posts: 33 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 12:25pm |
|
Thanks but my question was more along the lines of "Why does DS create a partition" and why do they allocated the size in this manner"? |
||
![]() |
||
bprat22
DS ELITE
DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Joined: 08 Jun 2011 Online Status: Offline Posts: 20391 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 12:36pm |
|
|
It looked like you had a 120gb ssd and 1Tb HDD, but if you have a single drive, no SSD, then my only thought is one partition for the Windows Recovery option.
Other than that, I couldn't say. Maybe someone else can help. |
||
![]() |
||
bmchan
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2009 Online Status: Offline Posts: 33 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 12:40pm |
|
Thanks for the reply. |
||
![]() |
||
FrankW
DS Veteran
Joined: 22 Feb 2010 Online Status: Offline Posts: 2254 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 3:04pm |
|
|
Reserve:
C: System/Windows E: Data storage That's my guess. You should be able to tell by looking at what is on the partitions. I bet you will find Windows on the C partition. Frank |
||
![]() |
||
bmchan
Newbie
Joined: 08 Jul 2009 Online Status: Offline Posts: 33 |
Quote Reply
Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 3:28pm |
|
Let me clarify further: Disk 0: System reserved 350MB C: 114.45GB Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition Disk 1: E: 931.51GB |
||
![]() |
||
Post Reply
|
| Forum Jump | Forum Permissions ![]() You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You can vote in polls in this forum |