FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HDD Temperature issue

Post Date: 2016-08-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HDD Temperature issue
    Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 1:08pm
Hi everyone!
I recently bought a new PC from DS, It's a Bolt 3 (ASRock X99 Version, with : GTX 1080, Intel Core i7, 16 GB of Ram, SSD Samsung 120GB, HDD Western Digital 1TB Black Edition)

I'm having a temperature issue with the HDD, I noticed this after a gaming-session in Batman Arkham Knight!
Normally the temperature of the HDD is from 25-30C° to 35C°, but during (and a little after) Batman Arkham Knight the temperature is from 45C° to 50C° [;)] [;)]

I use the PC moreless always in ''Extreme Mode'' selected from the DS Control-Center, and the PC is in a fresh place!

Please,Can someone tell me what I can do to solve this issue? And Can someone tell me also if this is normal or not? I didn't play other games yet,so I don't know if is a BAK problem or a PC/HDD problem!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
LowRoid99
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:00pm
Getting up to 50'C is cutting it close, it could be the graphics card dumping heat into the PC, not sure what your PC specs are. If you remove your side window, does the issue go away? We can help adjust airflow for you, even send you a side window with a vented hole design as well.

Feel free to contact our team directly for help.
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 3:32pm
Hi Alex!
First,thanks for the reply!

I think it's not GPU fault, becouse while gaming ALL other temperatures are normal (everything is moreless on 30C°), Only the HDD temperature rises up gradually from 30C° to 50C° and drops down gradually after I close the game!

I can try to remove the window side but I don't know if It can help becouse the HDD is on the opposite side and not in the side covered with the window so not with the GPU (I can take some pictures of It if you want). Tell me if you think I have to try or not,please!

My specs :
MOTHER BOARD : ASRock X99E-ITX/ac (Intel X99 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
GPU : GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
CPU : Intel Core i7 4.5Ghz (6 Cores)
RAM : 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital StormCertified Performance Series
120GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB HDD Western Digital - Black Edition

Thanks for your time!

Regards

Edited by LowRoid99 - 12 Aug 2016 at 3:46pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:03pm
60c is your max temp for that drive, above that you are over manufacturer's max operating temp.

What Alex is telling you is that the gpu gets warmer during gaming, which then its fan pumps up and throws the air out of the gpu into your case, that heat could be responsible for your hdd getting to 55c.

Now for as long as you are within manufacturer limits on hdd you are ok, needless to say we want lower temps, what is your case and give us a pic of your system and hdd.

btw your game is on the ssd or the hdd? I assume its on the hdd?

Don't worry about where the hdd is, remove the side window and see if the max temps do the same again, remember we only care about max temps and want them to be under 60c, lower the better. then lets us know the results and the pics please.

it is normal for your temps to go up if you are gaming off of that drive.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2016 at 4:05pm
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 2:23am
Hi guys!
First of all thanks for the suggestions!

Ok,so : I tried to remove the window side but seems to have no effect :/ I noticed just 1-2C° of difference,so from 50C° to 49-48C°, so nothing usefull :(

Here're the photos you asked : http://postimg.org/gallery/24yz4b16k/
The first one is the window side without window,the second one is the opposite side but I didn't opend it becouse as you can see in the second pic I have to remove the metal support on the base of the PC to remove the pannel on the right side (Of course if you need it I'll send a pic of it,keep me informed)

Can suggest me what I can do,please? I spend a lot on this PC and I want to keep it in the best condition I can :(

Thanks for your time!

Best
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:08am
On the positive side, your graphics card is the reference single fan type, where most of the heat is blown out the back. It's the multi fan types that dump heat into the case.

That said, graphics cards can still radiate heat off the pcb side of the card, the unseen side that faces the HDD.

My only suggestion would be to remove the right side panel and see if it helps. You might need to leave it off or have DS or someone mod the panel to accept a 120mm fan , maybe a smaller one, just to keep the heat moving.

I don't see the CPU cooler, the other source of heat, causing the issue.

Work with DS for a fix.   Your present temp is still good, but lower would be better for sure.

Hope this helps.
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:48am
Hi bprat22!
First,thanks for the answer!

I'll try to remove the right pannel and I'll see if it helps!
Yesterday I bought another game,just for be sure that it's not a problem releated to Batman Arkham Knight, So I bought Layers of Fear, with this game the max temp of the HDD is 40-41C°, so much better then 50C°.

When I'll buy other games I'll check the temperature, but for now I can say to you only the temperatures releated to these two games! (I can also send to you some screenshots of the DS Control-Center with temperatures while playing Batman and while playing Layers of Fear).

Sincerelly I don't know where the CPU cooler is :/ ,I'm going to remove the right pannel and I'll take a photo of it so you can see the internal situation! :)

I'm tring to solve the problem by myself becouse I bought the computer in America but I live in Italy so It's a little difficult to send or receive componets from DS :/ But if it will be ''obligatory'' I think I'll can send and receive them via my dad who lives in America.

I'll write again here after I'll do some tests without the right side pannel, in the maintime, please, if you have other suggestions write them to me here! :)

Thanks for help to everyone!

Regards
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 4:02am

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 4:07am
Our pleasure.

I really wouldn't get too concerned at this point. The Bolt is a small, closed case so a little higher temps can be expected, imho.

If you do see temps go higher, take the panel to a local shop to have some perf holes cut and a fan mounted.   It'll plug into one of the molex connectors from power supply.

Your CPU cooler is where the hoses go from the motherboard to the top radiator. Liquid flows from the CPU, lower side to the top rad and back. It's heat should stay up top and out of the case.     

Keep us updated.   Take some time to play games and check temps later after flinging Batman from building to building.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 4:10am
   Forgot about that fan mount location.   How's it line up with the HDD?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 4:14am
It does not line up at all bp but its worth a try, IMHO any fans you can get in that case is great.

I think he should:

1. check and make sure the radiator on the top of the case is pushing the air up and out of the case and not blowing it in. if that is ok next:

2. stick a 140mm fan on the back to see if that helps. if not next and what I think is gonna be the real solution is:

3. have DS send you a window that is cut and now has a 140mm fan on it so that you use that window and connect that fan to the motherboard or the power supply, we can help you connect it easy I would think.

For example here is a window for the hailstorm with four 140mm fans on it, you only want one tho.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Aug 2016 at 4:26am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 7:06am
Hi guys!

I did some tests : I removed both side pannels (the window and the other one) and temperatures while playing decreased a little, from 50C° to 45-47C° (it's more 47C° then 45C°)

Here's a photo of the opened right side : https://postimg.org/image/a4w82wpa3/ (I drew on it where's moreless the fan mount location).

The answer to DST4ME's question is : No, there's no fan there, as you can see in the pic
The answer to bprat22's question is : I think the HDD doesn't not line up at all with the fan mount location as you can see in the pic, so maybe that's the problem :/

What do you think about? A pannel with a new fan is the only possible solution or not? I have to mount the fan only on the window side, only on the other pannel or on both? It's safe to keep the PC without window and without the other pannel? (Sorry if I did a lot of question, but I want to understand the situation :/ )

Thanks for your time!

Cheers!

LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 7:09am
Originally posted by DST4ME

1. check and make sure the radiator on the top of the case is pushing the air up and out of the case and not blowing it in. if that is ok next:

2. stick a 140mm fan on the back to see if that helps. if not next and what I think is gonna be the real solution is:

3. have DS send you a window that is cut and now has a 140mm fan on it so that you use that window and connect that fan to the motherboard or the power supply, we can help you connect it easy I would think.

1. Checked,everything seems ok!
2. I'll try this as soon as possible, I don't have a fan at home unfortunatelly
3. Maybe this solution is better then the second one, Please tell me if this is FOR REAL the only possible solution I have, if yes I'll try to have it from DS :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 6:38pm
2. I would install a 140mm fan in the back side either way, its only gonna help the airflow be better, and it should not cost much at all, any good 140mm fan will do, so go to your nearest pc shop or order online.

3. You have to ask Alex if they can do that for the window on the bolt if not you may have to find a local shop that does do it for you.

While you are at it, ask them how much for a side panel incase you need to replace the one you have.

Your temps of 45c-47c are very normal for game use.

there is nothing wrong with leaving the panels off but you will get much more dust in the system depending.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Aug 2016 at 6:40pm
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 4:36am
Hi DST4ME!
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll first try a fan in the back side, if this will not solve the issue I'll go to a local shop who makes me a modified version of both pannels :)

I know 45-50C° it's not a very very high temperature but the strange thing is that GPU, CPU, and the entire system are on 30C° when gaming and the HDD is on 45-50C° (Oh,talking about this, A friend lent me Fallout 4 just for some days, so I did some screens of the DS Control-Center : https://postimg.org/image/3sb9s14h5/ these are the temperatures in Extreme Mode without gaming, https://postimg.org/image/yl8kwc8a1/ these are the temperatures in Extreme Mode with Fallout 4 opened)

Can you just tell me what do you think about the temperatures? After this I'll stop to bother you with this problem ahah   

Cheers!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 5:04am
Ok a few things:

1. keep in mind you have a closed loop cooler cooling the cpu and the gpu has its own fan inside of it keeping it cool, you hdd has got diddly keeping it cool, so its temps are going to be different of course.

2. only modify and add a 140mm fan to the window side, the back side already has a spot for a fan, no need to modify that one.

3. Before you modify the window find out where you can get a replacement and how much it would cost first. You don't want to get into a position where something goes wrong and you can't find a replacement window or the price is too high, find out now and not later.

4. I think the window is acrylic, so you need to find a good shop that has a good reputation for cutting acrylic so that they don't messup your window. If you are not asking DS that means you have to explain to the shop exactly what you want.

5. You need to explain to the shop that you need a hole in the window in the size of the fan but only its opening, in other word, the red circle on the fan is the size of the hole you want, plus the 4 small holes for the screws:

Make sure you pay attention and install the fan on the ouside of the window but the wire for it needs to come thru to the inside of the case, so make sure that can be done or you may need an opening for the wire too on the window.

The best idea is to get the 140mm fan you want and then take the fan and the window to the shop so they can see and measure what you need right there.

I would still think if you can ask DS to do it, its your best route as they do this all the time and know the measurements and etc.

6. your temps look fine but I like to do a different test if you will, Have a look here and get hwmonitor, install it and run it, let it run in the background while you game and then give us a screen shot of the hwmonitor so that we can see all your temps in it.

7. you are not bothering anyone, we are here to help so ask as many questions as you like.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Aug 2016 at 5:14am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 6:10am
Hi again,DST4ME!
Thanks for all these suggestions!

1. Yeah, I know that.
2,3 & 4. Yesterday I looked at the right pannel and at the right side of my PC and I understood some things :
Look at this pic https://postimg.org/image/a4w82wpa3/ (don't think about the drew things in red ) I noticed that top,top left and top right parts are ventilated, there's a ''cold'' air come from inside to outside. The bottom,bottom left and bottom right parts are NOT ventilated so I come to a (maybe wrong) conclusion : Can I solve the problem with an hole with a 140mm fan placed in front of the HDD? (maybe not totally in front of it,maybe in the centre of the right side pannel). This is just an idea I thinked, tell me please if it's a good idea or not.

5. Ok,got it! But,like I said up here What do you think about leaving the windows side like it is now and adding a fan only on the right side pannel?
6. I already have it, I'll do that test with the games I have atm and I'll send some screens!
7. I'm happy for that ahah

Cheers!

Edited by LowRoid99 - 14 Aug 2016 at 6:12am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:13am
After looking at the back side of your pc in your pic, let me as you something, is the red square where the 140mm fan in the back goes?

If yes, I think just adding that fan may solve your problem.

If no, then cutting a spot for a 140mm fan over(infront) or close to the hdd on the back side is the way to go, you gonna want it so that it blows in to the case.

Again just make sure you can get a replacement back cover incase this idea does not pan out so great, and the rest of the stuff we went over the window part, no just apply it to the back cover.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Aug 2016 at 7:16am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:40am
Thanks for the explication man!
Yes, where I drew the red square there's the fan mount location, So I think that mounting a fan in that fan mount location will be the first thing I'll do, Is the more ''safe'' solution becouse I don't have to cut anything! If this will not solve the problem I'll go ahead with the ''cut solution''.

Give me some minutes and I'll give you the screens with HWMonitor!

Edited by LowRoid99 - 14 Aug 2016 at 7:41am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:48am
sounds good
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:49am
I would take the Bolt's panel and fan and tell the shop to copy and install or drill for installation and not touch the original. That way if things don't go as planned, you still have a working panel. Acrylic is not that hard for a shop with the equip and material.
You want to keep positive pressure on the case, so if you add the rear fan drawing air out, you should add that side fan blowing into the hdd.

Like DST4ME says, every device in the case has some sort of dedicated cooling except the drives. They, the drives, tend to run hotter depending on where they are located in the case and you have limited space in the Bolt.

Good luck and enjoy your systemAwesome

Edited by hoserator - 14 Aug 2016 at 7:50am
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 9:54am
Hi guys!
Here're the pictures : First part without gaming https://postimg.org/image/qjnmypz1b/
Second part without gaming https://postimg.org/image/5o1cnh2u7/
First part while gaming Fallout 4 https://postimg.org/image/93tgx102n/
Second part while gaming Fallout 4 https://postimg.org/image/nbj5locrj/

hoserator, what you told me is not a bad idea, I'll keep in in mind!
Can you,please,guys tell me what do you think about temperatures checked via HWMonitor?

Thanks in advance!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 10:19am
Temps look great.  I don't see a problem from here.  StrongBig%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 1:53pm
@LowRoid99, hwmonitor is showing your hdd underload at 33c, so there is no problem there, was this with the window and pack panel on or off?
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 6:46pm
Hi guys!

I think temperatures are Good too!
But it's Strange that DS Control-Pannel says other temperatures, Do you have an explication?

I made the screens when PC was in Extreme Mode selected from the DS Control-Pannel but It was closed before doing the tests

Can you tell me if you think that's no problem or if you think I have to do fixes We talked about in past posts anyway,please!

Edited by LowRoid99 - 14 Aug 2016 at 6:50pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 6:56pm
For temps I would go with hwmonitor which is why I asked to run that one.

If I'm not mistaken DS has their own sensors.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Aug 2016 at 6:57pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:10pm
Your temps look great.

Regarding the Control Center, those are the thermal zone temps, the ambient air temperature around that area, they are not actual hardware temps, Hardware Monitor is perfect for that.
Richieboy67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 9:59pm
If you do decide to get another 140 mm Fan, in my opinion you cannot find better than Noctua.

It doesn't look like you need it though at this point.
LowRoid99 View Drop Down

Quote LowRoid99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 3:09am
Hi guys!
So,there's no problem?!?
If you think temperatures are great I'll go ahead without a new fan, but just for be sure in next weeks I'll put it anyway!

Thanks to everyone for the help guys,I really appreciated it! We can fortunatelly consider the topic closed

Thanks again!

Cheers!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 3:31am
Our pleasure and Enjoy .   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 1:05pm
Yes there is no problem, use hwmonitor for temps from now on
 Post Reply Post Reply