FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavily modded games and processor power

Post Date: 2022-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shigeo View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shigeo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Heavily modded games and processor power
    Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 2:31am
It seems like the more I play modded games the more I feel my system isn't keeping up. I have an Intel 9900k too, certainly no slouch even with the upcoming CPUs to consider.

Minecraft, Cities Skylines, and other heavily moddable games take a while to load those mods and process them before you even get into the game, not to mention the game running well afterward.

Anyone have an idea on what CPUs of today and tomorrow are best for these sort of games, loading the mods in fast and playing with good minimum fps, especially for server hosting needs? I want the best of the best in this regard.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 4:45am
A hard question to answer. Keep in mind that mods are not created by the original game publisher, nor necessarily approved by anyone. They are the effort of hobbyists and enthusiasts who may or may not have much skill in what they have crafted. The more of those you select, the more you may introduce poorly coded junk into your game files. The result may be enough for even the fastest CPU to choke on. It may be a combination of factors that defy a simple solution as to speed, or cores, or threads, and be game/mod specific as well.

In your case, the 12900K is rated faster in gaming by 19%; the 12700K by 18%; and the 12600K by 14%, but there are no mods used to muddy those results. The simple fact is, depending upon which mods and how many are in use on a given game there may be far less, if any, processing gains realized from a faster proc. IMHO, you would be far better served at this moment in time to explore the communities to determine which mods are the resource hogs, and choose wisely.

There is expected to be a new round of CPUs out from Intel and AMD by year end, so now is not the moment to upgrade, I'm thinking.    
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 11:45am
Are you sure that your performance problems are caused by the CPU? Typically it's the GPU that limits a game's performance (but not always.)

I would recommend installing some software to monitor the CPU and GPU loads. That'll probably give you some useful information about what is causing the bottleneck.

Here's a good article about what software to use:

https://fbx.gg/blog/best-performance-monitoring-apps/

Originally posted by shigeo

It seems like the more I play modded games the more I feel my system isn't keeping up. I have an Intel 9900k too, certainly no slouch even with the upcoming CPUs to consider.

Minecraft, Cities Skylines, and other heavily moddable games take a while to load those mods and process them before you even get into the game, not to mention the game running well afterward.

Anyone have an idea on what CPUs of today and tomorrow are best for these sort of games, loading the mods in fast and playing with good minimum fps, especially for server hosting needs? I want the best of the best in this regard.

Edited by JamesAstro - 30 Aug 2022 at 11:25am
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply