FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy photoshop / gaming use - suggestions?

Post Date: 2021-02-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fairwitness View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fairwitness Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Heavy photoshop / gaming use - suggestions?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:04pm
Hi all,
I'm digging into spec'ing out a new PC. I had a custom built by a local shop about 4 years ago, but the ram has gone bad, it's super noisy and I'm having all sorts of bluescreen issues plus video problems. It's time to upgrade!

I'm an artist, heavy photoshop work, some video in Premier, starting to also get interested in 3d modeling. ALso, I like gaming andwhat can I say, I still love Skyrim and am waiting on CPunk till the bugs are worked out....

My thoughts on the Sabrent drives is the main one is for OS/apps/files and the 2nd is the dedicated Photoshop scratch disk, with the others being my RAID backup.

Budget:
Would like to get good value, and not overspend if not needed, but was thinking this is likely in the 8-11k range.

Notes on monitors/video:
I am using 3 32" 4k monitors AND a Wacom Cintiq 24 pro which is a 4k display tablet for drawing. Currently with my 1080Ti, I am getting video stuttering everywhere and many of my photoshop brushes lag WAY behind my wacom pen when I'm doing digital painting.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 128GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1600W EVGA Supernova 1600 (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (8TB Sabrent Rocket Q) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (4TB Sabrent Rocket Q4) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (10TB Western Digital / Seagate - Ultrastar Data Center / IronWolf)
RAID Config: RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wired PCI-E ASUS XG-C100C (10 GbE) (1x RJ45 Connector)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3090 24GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 4:05am
We have a handful of folks who do what you do, but they are not regulars here and it might not be fruitful to ask us gamers to comment. The experts you really want feedback from is the workstation group at DS.

Looks like a killer rig to me with certain priorities out-weighing others by what might be significant compromises. BUT, I don't know. Seems to me you have an end-game quantity/quality of storage you may not need for a very long time, while you may be weak in CPU and/or GPU.

That's a question of mine, not an answer. Is a gaming motherboard better for you than a workstation board? I actually have doubts about that. Will a Threadripper be a year over year game changer over the 3950X?

I suggest you send an e-mail to the head of customer service   [email protected]     and have him set you up with the best advisor he knows. In my experience, DS will want a customer for life, not a max sale. IMHO, it's more likely you will get max performance for the money and no mis-matched parts. It's also pretty certain you won't be regretting your choices in just 4 years.

All the best!
fairwitness View Drop Down

Quote fairwitness Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:32am
Cretae,
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.
I'm struggling on the threadripper issue also... also on the graphics card. All the research is pointing to Quadro cards being awesome for computational work and rendering, but actually falling short on photoshop usage... Great idea reaching out to Alex. I'll do that. Thanks again!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 2:57am
I wasn't sure I could be any help. I don't know the details, but I am aware that certain workloads will accomplish a lot more with the appropriate match-up of parts. There will have to be some compromises along the way, and I'm confident DS can help you find the sweet spot that fits you best.

It is a pleasure to contribute.   
 Post Reply Post Reply