FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help 285 GTX SLI 2 gig

Post Date: 2009-09-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StrikeForce View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help 285 GTX SLI 2 gig
    Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 7:34am
So I have a question, i guess they stopped making the water blocks for the 275s I wanted, and DS is saying that I can either keep em and go air cooled or go with the 285s SLIed thing is they only have the 2 gig versions...Im leaning towards that right now...(well acutally i told them to go ahead) anyways what do you guys think about em....seems like the 2 gig vid cars are not very good....

Lemme know....

Thx
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 11:29am

I read a number of reviews concerning the 2GB boards, all they said was that the extra 1GB resulted in small performance gains for the price. I never read a review that said the boards were necessarily bad or faulty.

They'll run just as well as the regular 1GB versions, even slightly better, just don't expect outstanding performance gains over the cards with less memory.

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 4:12pm
Big%20smile Ah ok, I guess I must have mis-read some of the stuff...i thought they were saying that the extra gig ended up hurting the performance, and that they were worse then the one gig cards Cry Thx for the info bro!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 5:20pm
people on 32bit os will have a problem running gpus with high vram cause it eats into their os/apps ram use.

as for 2GB vs 1GB, you will see no difference.

they are using EK's waterblocks for the 275 gpus and ek still makes them:

see here

and here

so I'm not sure what this not making WBs anymore is all about.

ofcourse ek is only one company there are many other good companies that make waterblocks for the 275.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Sep 2009 at 5:21pm

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 4:07am
Thx DST...here is the email they sent me..

"Below is a communication note by  James on 9/25/2009 around 9:44:07 AM (PST).
Topic: Customer Service -> Other
Comments: Hey,
 I got some bad news man the water blocks for the GTX275 our discontinued because the GPU was changed so many time that the manufacturer gave up and decided not to make them any more we can ether take the water cooling off the cards or change to the GTX285 they still make the blocks for those but keep in mind that we only carry the 2gb ones for now"

So im not sure whats up and they havent emailed me back yet.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 6:03am
well if ek doen't fit them then koolance has some that will.

do you have to pay the price difference for the 285?

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 12:14pm
Im still not sure yet, Ive asked but I havent recieved an email back yet. I hope not since im kind of being forced to do it, but we will see what happens. Perhaps he meant to say, that I could switch to the 285 or wait for them to order the waterblocks?Cry Ill let ya know whats going on when I get an email from them.

EDIT* Here is the reply.

"Below is a communication note by  James on 9/28/2009 around 10:54:19 AM (PST).
Topic: Customer Service -> Other
Comments: So I am very sorry about this but we cant get those blocks any ware if we could it would not be a problem, So the cost difference is 100 dollars more for each card for the gtx285 1GB and its 200 more dollars each card for the gtx285 2GB. Or you can save 549 dollars and go air cooling on your GPU and you could get better cards or stick with the GTX275."

What do you think would be best? I mean I really want the 75s...but i also wanted them water cooled...so im kind of at a loss...should I just go with air cooled and save a few bucks? I just dont really understand since i could buy the water blocks myself...why cant they? Meh its been a long day, im sure they would be fine just being air cooled tho. Lemme know what ya think bro.

~Strike

Edited by StrikeForce - 28 Sep 2009 at 3:49pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 4:10pm
Hey bud, sorry for the issue with the water block situation. It's really tough, especially when manufactures change the layout design, etc..

My advice would be honestly to drop the liquid cooling on the video cards since they aren't really necessary (especially for the GTX 275 or the GTX 285) and use that saved cash to get even better graphic cards like the GTX 295's.

Water cooling a graphics card will make it cooler, but, it wont run any faster than an air cooled card. Also, in terms of upgrades, it will be very difficult to remove the water cooling system, and any upgrade means you will also need to upgrade the water blocks as well. The possibility of shipping damage also increases by a factor of at least 2x for dual liquid cooled video cards due to the extra weight on the slots, etc...

The air coolers are designed to work within maximum performance deltas, and if there are any overheating issues, etc... we test them in-house before the unit ships as a whole and you do have a 3 year warranty with us as well.

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 4:37pm

Alex,

Thanks for the info man, it helps a lot! Ill take a look at the 295s then.

Thanks again for the fast reply and information.Ouch

~Strike
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 4:47pm
Alex with all due respect, you are being contradicting, I can bring up your own posts that state that getting gpus LCed is a good idea and upgrades are very easy now due to the quick release valves, and now here you are saying the exact opposite.

upgrading should be easy due to the quick release, and with a new card of course comes the new waterblock, normally one gets the card with the waterblock on it, so that all that is left is putting it in the loop.

I believe he got the LC on gpu for temps not speed.

@StrikeForce, I guess go air cooled or just wait for the waterblocks.

if you got 2 x 275, then 1 x 295 is not an upgrade or a better card since 2 x 275 out performs the 295 in sli and in games that don't support sli.

the problem with the waterblocks seems to be that nvidia keeps changing the layout of the 275 and 285 (new revisions) and by doing so the waterblocks out on the market are not fitting the new design.

if you want them LCed then wait for the blocks.

Did you get this notice before or after you placed the order? and did you order by phone or web?

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 5:12pm

DST4ME,

I bought it online on the 14th of Sep, and did not get any information on the water block issue until the 25 of Sep, which i was kind of upset about. I dont think it should have been on the website as an option if that was the case. Anyways i sent DS an email that I just want to keep the 275's aircooled so ill get some money back. Air cooling should be fine since I also have max fans on the HAF  case.  Anyways Im off to bed, got an early day tomorrow...with any luck ill be back In Germany in about a month and will hopfully have my system by then! I just hope everything goes well from here...including the long shipping adventure to my rents house in oregon and then out to Germany where I am stationed!! Cry
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 5:45pm
Ya I agree they should have notified you of this at the time of order.

but anyways I think sticking with the 275s is a good idea.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 6:35pm
Well, its really difficult, if not impossible to know the latest info of all the various amount of parts, and have a system to inform customers of up to minute changes with all of the customizations we offer.

With the level of options we offer with the customized systems, I would it could be, but, it isn't that easy to inform customers of unique and rare occurrences such as the GTX 275 water blocks.

I looked it over, and I don't think I was being that 'contradicting' because, all I've said is, there is a delay on them, and the water blocks do have their advantages and disadvantages. If the customer doesn't want to wait, which I thought, I recommended to remove them and go with the GTX 295s for the price difference.

The Quick-Release valves do make it easier for replacements or if you need to send them to Digital Storm, but, they still require a customer to remove the water blocks off the card and purchase new models if the customer is doing it all himself/herself.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 6:56pm
I don't see why the gpu water-block needs to be removed, if one is doing an upgrade on gpu, the then whole gpu/water-block are removed together, and a new gpu with a new water-block on it is put in its place.

anyways I don't want to argue, but if you can't fit waterblocks on 275s then we need to let the customer know before they order, I have sent you guys a few members here to get their gpu's LCed that are 275, so I don't see how this can be rare, looks to me like we need to get on the ball a little better and not create a disappointment for the customer which is hard to remove once its there.

at the end all I'm saying is that from a great company like DS, we expect more, for example we expect you guys to tell us before we order if there is a problem.

it sure would be nice if you guys made an announcement here at the forum too, so that members like myself know ahead of time to not recommend 275s LCed to new customers also.

just my 2 cents of course, I still love DS

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Sep 2009 at 6:58pm
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:24am
Umm....now you guys have me a little worried because I ordered the liquid cooling for my 2 275 cards...is that going to be a problem?
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
INTELCORE EXTREME 4960X 3.6GHZ
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
16GB DDR3 1866MHZ CORSAIR VENGENCEPRO
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
256GB SSD SAMSUNG 840 PRO
2 SLI DUAL NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 3GB

Quote StrikeForce Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 2:29am
Well man, Im not sure. Shoot DS an email and ask them. They also didnt tell me that I had the option to wait, or that they were getting more in....but either way just send em an email and see whatthey have to say. Kinda sucks because from the emails I got, James said i would have to switch to dif cards or go without LC, but Alex makes it sound like I could have waited which i didnt know. Oh well, I just want my system to be at my place when I get back from Iraq so i can let off some major steam!Ouch
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 12:05pm
Will do StrikeForce...Thanks and good luck brother!
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I
256GB SSD SAMSUNG 840 PRO
2 SLI DUAL NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 3GB
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

the problem with the waterblocks seems to be that nvidia keeps changing the layout of the 275 and 285 (new revisions) and by doing so the waterblocks out on the market are not fitting the new design. 

There are only two reference 285 designs the P891, P892.  the 275 is the P897.
Only time that there is issues is with non-reference boards.
MADMAX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MADMAX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 12:15am
Thank you Justin.
SEMPER FIDELIS
HAILSTORMII
ASUS RAMPAGEIV X79
1200W CORSAIR AX1200I