FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help a mom out!!

Post Date: 2020-09-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TooShea View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TooShea Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help a mom out!!
    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 12:24pm
Hello configuration geniuses!

I am trying to surprise my HS freshman son with a new gaming PC. He made the varsity Esports league playing Overwatch and his ROG laptop isn't cutting it. I want to build something nice that will last him, but I'm kind of lame at this (I'm a Mac girl) and I really need some expert eyes to tell me if I've done a legit build or if it's an oopsie poopsie that needs some retooling.

He has a Sceptre 34" monitor and has a gaming mouse that he's added to his laptop setup, so he doesn't need the peripherals, just the PC.

This is the config I built 3413665

The budget is ok, although a 14 year old having the most expensive setup in the house is a hard pill to swallow. Cry

Let me know your thoughts before I pull the trigger.

Thanks so much!
JimBob View Drop Down

Quote JimBob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
I myself do not know much about computers, but from what I read from a bunch of other forums and the expert buying guide found on the website, this seems like a great configuration.

The only thing I will say is that maybe a 12 core processor isn't necessary.

If you are willing to spend a few extra dollars, I'd say change the SSD to a samsung 970 evo plus because I've heard that they are very reliable.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:03pm
There's nothing wrong with this build, there are some bells and whistles in there that extend more into "flash" than substance territory, which is certainly ok. Big%20Smile It might be helpful to know a bit more about what he'd be using it for. Is this exclusively an Overwatch machine? Is the Sceptre model he has the 2560x1080 version or something different?
TooShea View Drop Down

Quote TooShea Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

There's nothing wrong with this build, there are some bells and whistles in there that extend more into "flash" than substance territory, which is certainly ok. Big%20Smile It might be helpful to know a bit more about what he'd be using it for. Is this exclusively an Overwatch machine? Is the Sceptre model he has the 2560x1080 version or something different?

Haha. Yes, I admit, the fancy tubes were more for me. They make the machine way sexier. Sorta like red bottom shoes for your gaming PC. Drooling

His monitor is the 35" (I was wrong) curved ultrawide 21:9 creative monitor 3440x1440

He doesn't love OW the most, he actually prefers Rainbow 6 and COD. He plays OW because it's the only game (besides League of Legends and Fortnite) that his HS offers for league play.
TooShea View Drop Down

Quote TooShea Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by JimBob

I myself do not know much about computers, but from what I read from a bunch of other forums and the expert buying guide found on the website, this seems like a great configuration.

The only thing I will say is that maybe a 12 core processor isn't necessary.

If you are willing to spend a few extra dollars, I'd say change the SSD to a samsung 970 evo plus because I've heard that they are very reliable.

Ooooh. Good suggestions. I'll look at those. Thanks!!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
Welcome to DS. Awesome

That is a very nice gift. Strong

I am not the best on AMD chips but others will chime in with their knowledge. My understanding is that Intel chips are better for gaming and AMD for work. That is changing so...
Keep the Firecuda since it is a Gen 4 and AMD makes full use of it. If you change to Intel then do change to the 970 EVO or PRO.

Now, as to the Hydrolux Pro, be prepared to deal with potential leaks, topping of reservoir every once in a while, more complicated cleaning, harder maintenance, way more complicated gpu upgrades and very good temps if you are going to do some overclocking, which AMD chips are not the ones for it. I would suggest the Stage 2:DS Vortex AIO and leave the gpu card on air. I know this takes the red out of the case but...... your call. 

The warranty is one year parts. A year flies by quick.

Enjoy. Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:07pm
I think it's overkill for what you want. The Ryzen 3900X is better for heavy video editing/3d rendering and brings nothing to the table for gaming. The processor you want is the Intel 10700K because the 10900K is 1% stronger for $172, and the two extra cores don't mean a thing for gaming. the 1000W power supply is a waste.

Here's what I think:

Config ID 3414471

About $500 less, but that could be a whole lot more off. Please pay close attention to what hoserator has to say about the Hydrolux Pro above. He's our resident custom liquid cooling guy, and he knows. I can't recommend it at all for someone that doesn't really want to get their hands dirty rummaging around inside their case. An awful lot can go wrong in there, and it calls for way more attention than most people want to give it. If you want to, have at it, but it would save you around another $650. Get the dual fan all-in-one if you decide to forgo the custom loop.

For his monitor, the RTX 3080 is more powerful than needed, but the right card isn't quite out yet, and I feel guilty about being such a spoilsport. For the record, the RTX 3070 will lay waste to everything in its path at 1440p, but you'd have to wait maybe a couple of weeks for it's release.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades, but my mission here is to advise as best I can from what I know will get the job done. A lot of folks think the big, bad expensive thing is what they want, but computers do workloads, and there's a right tool and a lot of wrong tools for every job.

Hope it helps.
yayaticaya View Drop Down

Quote yayaticaya Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:58pm
I am so glad I ran into this. I am a great aunt wondering what to buy my nephew 14 yrs old who plays Fornite, Rainbow Six Siege, Watch Dogs 2 and I cant remembre any others. Sorry to intrude but can I use this same advise for him? oh wait his mom doesn't have cable things they have wifi. Any advise?
yaya
JimBob View Drop Down

Quote JimBob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by yayaticaya

I am so glad I ran into this. I am a great aunt wondering what to buy my nephew 14 yrs old who plays Fornite, Rainbow Six Siege, Watch Dogs 2 and I cant remembre any others. Sorry to intrude but can I use this same advise for him? oh wait his mom doesn't have cable things they have wifi. Any advise?

What resolution is the monitor you are planning to use? Also would you mind telling me your budget? Are you planning to run wired or wireless to connect to the internet? With these three pieces of information, I could make a configuration for you.

Edited by JimBob - 27 Sep 2020 at 8:28pm
TooShea View Drop Down

Quote TooShea Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Cretae

I think it's overkill for what you want. The Ryzen 3900X is better for heavy video editing/3d rendering and brings nothing to the table for gaming. The processor you want is the Intel 10700K because the 10900K is 1% stronger for $172, and the two extra cores don't mean a thing for gaming. the 1000W power supply is a waste.

Here's what I think:

Config ID 3414471

About $500 less, but that could be a whole lot more off. Please pay close attention to what hoserator has to say about the Hydrolux Pro above. He's our resident custom liquid cooling guy, and he knows. I can't recommend it at all for someone that doesn't really want to get their hands dirty rummaging around inside their case. An awful lot can go wrong in there, and it calls for way more attention than most people want to give it. If you want to, have at it, but it would save you around another $650. Get the dual fan all-in-one if you decide to forgo the custom loop.

For his monitor, the RTX 3080 is more powerful than needed, but the right card isn't quite out yet, and I feel guilty about being such a spoilsport. For the record, the RTX 3070 will lay waste to everything in its path at 1440p, but you'd have to wait maybe a couple of weeks for it's release.

I'm not trying to rain on any parades, but my mission here is to advise as best I can from what I know will get the job done. A lot of folks think the big, bad expensive thing is what they want, but computers do workloads, and there's a right tool and a lot of wrong tools for every job.

Hope it helps.

You. Are. AWESOME!!

Thank you so so much for taking the time to explain in detail all the things I feel so lost about! Going to add to cart!

Have a great week and good luck escaping the rest of 2020 unscathed!
TooShea View Drop Down

Quote TooShea Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:17pm

Welcome to the thread! We’re all in this together

Btw, you sound like an AWESOME aunt!
TooShea View Drop Down

Quote TooShea Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Welcome to DS. Awesome
That is a very nice gift. Strong
I am not the best on AMD chips but others will chime in with their knowledge. My understanding is that Intel chips are better for gaming and AMD for work. That is changing so...
Keep the Firecuda since it is a Gen 4 and AMD makes full use of it. If you change to Intel then do change to the 970 EVO or PRO.
Now, as to the Hydrolux Pro, be prepared to deal with potential leaks, topping of reservoir every once in a while, more complicated cleaning, harder maintenance, way more complicated gpu upgrades and very good temps if you are going to do some overclocking, which AMD chips are not the ones for it. I would suggest the Stage 2:DS Vortex AIO and leave the gpu card on air. I know this takes the red out of the case but...... your call. 
The warranty is one year parts. A year flies by quick.
Enjoy. Big%20Smile

Thanks for the welcome! I’m SO GLAD I found y’all!

I’ve decided that the sexy tube cooling is more hassle than it’s worth, so I’ve ditched that idea. Although my son is a genius (natch), I’m afraid that the first sign of trouble he would ha e the whole dang rig taken apart and rendered trash. We’ll just add more pretty RGB thingies so that it’s plenty flashy for me. Haha

Now, I’m off to demand he do more unexpected chores to see if deserves this new beast of a machine without telling him why. Ah, the joys of being a mom.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:45am

So happy we could help.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:59am
Originally posted by JimBob

What resolution is the monitor you are planning to use? Also would you mind telling me your budget? Are you planning to run wired or wireless to connect to the internet? With these three pieces of information, I could make a configuration for you.

Yep, the monitor resolution is about the most important info along with the budget.

It appears you need built-in Wi-Fi. I think the best option is to go for the Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero motherboard with Wi-Fi built in. If that's not in the budget, I recommend you get that $73 Asus add-in card you can find in "Internet/Network Access". You don't need more, but you might not be well served with less.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:08pm
You will be really happy with the system you get here and it will provide your son with a lot of motivation to get good grades and do some chores. Big%20Smile

Enjoy him, he will be gone too soon.
JimBob View Drop Down

Quote JimBob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Cretae

Here's what I think:

Config ID 3414471

Hope it helps.

I was randomly looking through forums, and I think your config id might be wrong. Just a heads up.
yayaticaya View Drop Down

Quote yayaticaya Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:38pm
Hi. Thank you all for your help. My sister suffered a brain hemorrhage and is hospitalized, so this wiLl have to be put on hold. She was so looking forward to getting this for him and I'm sure that once she comes out of issue she will. THANKS A MILLION.
yaya
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:43pm

Hi. Thank you all for your help. My sister suffered a brain hemorrhage and is hospitalized, so this wiLl have to be put on hold. She was so looking forward to getting this for him and I'm sure that once she comes out of issue she will. THANKS A MILLION.

To be clear, this is not the mom in the original post with the medical issues.

To yayaticaya, best thoughts and wishes for your family at this time.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:28pm
@yayaticaya: I am sorry for your sister's issues and pray for a speedy recovery. 
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 3:18am
Echo that. We are pleased to be of any help.
 Post Reply Post Reply