FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help a newb out! Config advice.

Post Date: 2020-06-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jammya View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jammya Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help a newb out! Config advice.
    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:05am
Budget:
I would like to stay under $4000 even less the better

Expectations/Usage:
I currently play a MMORGP Final fantasy Xiv, I would love to be able to playing on the highest settings without my computer having a asthma attack. I spend long hours logged in so need the pc to be able to handle extensive use. I will also be using it for streaming and general video watching.

Saved Ticket #: 3205794

This is the build I made but am unsure if the settings are the best for what I am planning on using the pc for. I currently have a Alienware laptop but really want to have a stationary pc for gaming. Since I am transitioning from a laptop I would also need to get the monitors/speakers. I do want to have duel screens for the monitor tho. I do have mouse and keyboard that I will being using.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:55am
Lots of issues.
Apparently you want to game on a 2K (1440p) monitor. you should know a pair of those could cost upwards of $1000. They don't have to match, or even be the same resolution. Get a good one to game on, and save some money on the other one. I wouldn't get two at once, you could decide you don't really need two.

The 10900K is overkill for a gaming machine. You will never use 10 cores.

You will never need a 1000W power supply.

You have overlooked the most cost-effective improvement you could possible get in your computer. An NVMe M.2 form factor SSD is up to 5 times faster than the SATA SSD you selected.

The 2080 video card is more than you have to have, but if you want it, fine. Do Not overclock the video card. It will run very hot and the fans on it will be louder, longer. "Asthma attack."

Motherboard audio is very good, and has been for a long time. I would check that out before you buy an expensive sound card.

The window on the Velox is on the right side, so you should be aware if you want pretty lights to display, the computer will be to your left. The motherboard and all affixed to it will be upside down. Not a problem for the parts, but your GPU will have its name upside down.

This is a better solution. It will do everything you want:

Saved ticket #: 3205866

After discount, $3042. If you want, you could get 32 GB of RAM for $140, and you could add another 1TB SATA SSD in addition or instead of the HHD. Instead of, the Samsung 860 EVO would be $109. In addition, it would be $193. I would not recommend you get more or larger. The bigger ones are just not a good deal here. they are really simple to install yourself, really.

I've checked out the ASUS 27 inch VG27AQ (G-SYNC) (2K Resolution) (165Hz Refresh) (1ms Response) (2560x1440) (HDR10) monitor they offer here, and it's a pretty good deal on a solid name brand monitor if you want a 27".
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:51am
I generally agree.

You can save money if you decide to go to the Lumos case. I have one and really like it.

I also agree about adding a 1 TB SSD. If the 1.5TB of combined storage is insufficient you could get a 2-4TB HDD and use that as storage. I have a 1TB Firecuda NVM2 M.2 and a 3 TB HDD which I use for storing image backups and RAW photography files.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:18am
I agree with both choices mentioned above regarding the 10700K and the Lumos in lieu of the Velox. But, I have to mention that both Intel and AMD are essentially end of life for the existing motherboards. My understanding is that next year will be the last for the AMD's AM4 socket; next year will also be the last for Intel's new LGA1200 socket.

The reason I mention is that you should get the best CPU (and motherboard) right now. GPUs are easily upgradable. With at least an 850 watt PSU you would have no problems overclocking both CPU and GPU should you choose. It's much harder to upgrade the motherboard.

8 cores/16 threads is more than enough for the latest and unreleased games to come. By the time you are ready to upgrade again (say 5 - 10 years), you can get the latest CPU/chipsets.

The cost delta between the 10700K and the 10900K is small relative to your total system budget. By small consider the almost doubling in cost between the 2080 Super and 2080Ti. If you are good with tinkering, I would recommend pushing more towards a budget-oriented build that you can completely upgrade on a DIY basis. If you are like me and not an experienced tinkerer, I would get the best within your cost expectations.
 Post Reply Post Reply