Post Date: 2008-03-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chris couleur View Drop Down
  Quote chris couleur Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: help building new pc
    Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 9:19pm
Hey all,
Trying to put together a new pc. I'm really out of touch with things these days but have been reading trying to catch up but still need some help.

I'm not too good at solving pc problems and troubleshooting. Still running a 10 year old Dell. I'm not really on a budget but trying to keep things at 4000$ or so without monitor but can go higher or lower.

What i want to do is put together a high perfomance system but also keep it simple and stable because i'm basically an idiot when it comes to this stuff. The one thing i really want is a 27 inch monitor. From my understanding a 27 incher is meant to run at 1920 x 1200. Me being me i'll never mess with this which means i'll never go higher or lower unless i have to and would prefer not to. I also pretty much just like playing first person shooters and will be looking at Half Life2 and Crysis first off.

I briefly talked to a rep at DS and at this point here is The basics of what i have so far.
950 case (shorter depth works better than 850)
750 watt ps
qx 9650 cpu
780i (nforce 780i sli)
2gb ram
2x sli 8800gts 512mb
vista 32
3 stage cooling

here's concerns and thoughts i have based on high perfomance, simple, stable and 27 inch monitor. Video card/s is major concern with 27 inch monitor.

Don't want anything overclocked. No overheating and want pc to last a good time.

Run a 27 incher at 1920 x 1200. Can drop to 24 inch if need be.

My gut says no to sli. Reading forums last week or so i see alot of people saying to stay away and go with single card. It's confusing all these cards. What would be best for me? I don't mind putting in a new card after a while. Do i need sli? Would a single 8800 gts or gtx be ok for a couple of years? 2x gtx over 2x gts (+250$ not a big deal)? Wait for a week or so for a 9800gtx? Any others? Don't like messing with changing drivers but if tech support will help me do it right then no problem.

Would love to get any help on this .

Thanks, chris

Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 10:50pm
For the resolution you will be playing at, I honestly believe you should at least consider SLI.

On the overclocking, I think you might be at least somewhat surprised at what can be done to overclock without increasing temperatures, or even voltages from stock. Right now, my voltage is still under the max value for operation that Intel suggests. I have a Q6600 running at 3.1GHz, and my idle and load temps are lower than those experienced by people running stock speeds with a standard heatsink. It's up to you naturally, but this is also something you can explore on your own after you have the system.

So.. a build, assuming no overclocking:

$3510

Post Reply Post Reply