FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP Digital Art, CGI, 3D Rendering build

Post Date: 2021-06-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ODCreate View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ODCreate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HELP Digital Art, CGI, 3D Rendering build
    Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 4:02pm
Budget:
[$5000]

Expectations:
[Run Adobe apps smoothly, 3d rendering/modeling, video editing, cgi animation]

Usage:
Daily professional usage and mid-level gaming]

Special Needs:
Can support a minimum 3x 4K displays

Please recommend a build???/?
HI!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:49pm
I am not good at all in configuring to your needs. I can tell you that moving 3 x 4K monitors is a monumental task and will need (and I don't know if it will do) an RTX 3090 at least and maybe 2. There goes your budget!

The configurators will chime in and tell us why I am wrong or not.

Enjoy.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:05am
I have some limited knowledge of what it takes to power your workload. We have a designer or two around that may speak up if they see your post.

This is what I came up with at your budget:

3935559    $4868.

Mr hoserator is mistaking gaming for relatively static images on three high-res monitors. Where all the power goes is producing very high gaming framerates, but that's not what you are doing with three monitors. I'm pretty sure an RTX 3080 will allow that as well as game very well on one monitor when you choose to.

The AMD 5959X (16 cores/32 threads) is actually a might better than the 24 core Threadripper because it is so much newer and faster. It's a very strong proc for what you want. 64GB of RAM is going to render faster. I upgraded the mobo from standard because generally a better mobo handles thermals better for longer life and it has Wi-Fi.

I prefer a lean and mean Primary ("C") drive for Windows and all your apps. The 500GB 980 PRO is as fast as it gets these days. You want to be able to get those apps up and running at a high speed, but also be able to scan the smaller drive efficiently when needed. In second position, another, larger 980 PRO for handling and rendering large files. A strong, high-capacity mechanical drive for storing lots of results of your efforts, if you need that.

Top it off with an RTX 3080, and a dual-fan all-in-one CPU cooler.

I'm no expert, but I think it checks all the boxes. I hope others will comment. Please check other sources for more info. I believe I have confirmed that 3x 4K monitors displaying relatively static images can be easily run by a 3080. It may be that a workstation GPU (a PNY Quadro or an Nvidia RTX A4000?) might be a better selection for you, but the only way you get that brilliant 5950X is on a gaming build on our Configurator. DS will do their best to put anything you ask for in there.

Hope it helps.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:31am

I stand corrected.
I suggest you go to the Nvidia forum and check out "3090 3 Monitor Issue"  It might be relevant to your needs.

ODCreate View Drop Down

Quote ODCreate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by hoserator

I am not good at all in configuring to your needs. I can tell you that moving 3 x 4K monitors is a monumental task and will need (and I don't know if it will do) an RTX 3090 at least and maybe 2. There goes your budget!
The configurators will chime in and tell us why I am wrong or not.
Enjoy.
Smile

Thanks for the input!
HI!
ODCreate View Drop Down

Quote ODCreate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Cretae

I have some limited knowledge of what it takes to power your workload. We have a designer or two around that may speak up if they see your post.

This is what I came up with at your budget:

3935559    $4868.

Mr hoserator is mistaking gaming for relatively static images on three high-res monitors. Where all the power goes is producing very high gaming framerates, but that's not what you are doing with three monitors. I'm pretty sure an RTX 3080 will allow that as well as game very well on one monitor when you choose to.

The AMD 5959X (16 cores/32 threads) is actually a might better than the 24 core Threadripper because it is so much newer and faster. It's a very strong proc for what you want. 64GB of RAM is going to render faster. I upgraded the mobo from standard because generally a better mobo handles thermals better for longer life and it has Wi-Fi.

I prefer a lean and mean Primary ("C") drive for Windows and all your apps. The 500GB 980 PRO is as fast as it gets these days. You want to be able to get those apps up and running at a high speed, but also be able to scan the smaller drive efficiently when needed. In second position, another, larger 980 PRO for handling and rendering large files. A strong, high-capacity mechanical drive for storing lots of results of your efforts, if you need that.

Top it off with an RTX 3080, and a dual-fan all-in-one CPU cooler.

I'm no expert, but I think it checks all the boxes. I hope others will comment. Please check other sources for more info. I believe I have confirmed that 3x 4K monitors displaying relatively static images can be easily run by a 3080. It may be that a workstation GPU (a PNY Quadro or an Nvidia RTX A4000?) might be a better selection for you, but the only way you get that brilliant 5950X is on a gaming build on our Configurator. DS will do their best to put anything you ask for in there.

Hope it helps.   

I appreciate the input…this helps me tremendously 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽
HI!
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:18pm
I think, @Cretae's suggestion is probably your best bet. A 3090 would be nice to have for the 3D rendering workloads, but you're going to be hard pressed to get one at that budget in the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, the 3080 isn't bad.

To give you an idea, my recently received 3080 FE scored 589/590 in OctaneBench 2020.2.3 using Nvidia driver 462.65.

System specs:
Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.6GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard : ASUS B550-I ROG Strix Gaming
Memory : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz (2x16GB)
CPU Cooling : Stock AMD air cooler
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Operating System : MS Windows 10 Home
Operating System Drive : 960GB Corsair Force MP510 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
Power Supply : 750 watt Corsair SFX Series

Edited by MrCheetah - 09 Jun 2021 at 12:40pm
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:24pm

I stand corrected.
I suggest you go to the Nvidia forum and check out "3090 3 Monitor Issue" It might be relevant to your needs.

Good catch! Fortunately, it has been fixed (or so is the claim).

GeForce Hotfix Driver 461.51 (Released 2/5/21)
• [Surround][RTX 30 series] PC may display no signal message when enabling NVIDIA Surround [3230565]

Edited by MrCheetah - 09 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
ODCreate View Drop Down

Quote ODCreate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:27pm
I figured my budget may be exceeded based upon my requirements. I may have to just up my target and spend the extra. 😓😓
HI!
ODCreate View Drop Down

Quote ODCreate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by MrCheetah

I think, @Cretae's suggestion is probably your best bet. A 3090 would be nice to have for the 3D rendering workloads, but you're going to be hard pressed to get one at that budget in the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, the 3080 isn't bad.

To give you an idea, my recently received 3080 FE scored 589/590 in OctaneBench 2020.2.3 using Nvidia driver 462.65.

System specs:
Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.6GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard : ASUS B550-I ROG Strix Gaming
Memory : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz (2x16GB) CPU Cooling : Stock AMD air cooler
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Operating System : MS Windows 10 Home
Operating System Drive : 960GB Corsair Force MP510 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
Power Supply : 750 watt Corsair SFX Series

Sweet! Thanks for the info!
HI!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:19am
Let us know how you decide.
Crossrange View Drop Down

Quote Crossrange Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 5:24pm
Hey just saw your post I am creating a similar build for interior architecture. In have done a ton of research basically 8 hours a day everyday for the past 3+ weeks. Learning from articles, videos, people on these forums, other designers, engineers etc.

Here is my build for reference you can ignore everything past the cup, GPU, PSU, ram, and SSD. As they are my personal preference/opinion and not absolutes.

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-Core) 4.8 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Halo (RGB Fans) (Remote Control Only)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)

I have made changes almost every other day as I learn more and as the DS website makes changes. One of the changes I may make is from 64gb 3200 to 64gb 3600 g skill as this was not available until just recently.

I would suggest the 5900x as the rendering/3D modeling we do is more dependent on single thread and the benefit you get from the 5950x is not worth the price. Also check what GPU score min you need for your programs/projects that will help cut some fat :). Also keep asking questions as both Hoserator and Create have helped me learn and make better decisions about my config.

Reference: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X/3870vs3862&ved=2ahUKEwijmqWY7JXxAhUIgp4KHU8yCZ0QFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1Cn5aADhvF-p9KPRS6Vx1T&cshid=1623629937784

I use programs like Lumion and escape for my reference guides. The best thing to do is go off of the hardware specs required by the programs you will be using because it could be that your programs/projects might be more multi-threaded. Only you will be able to find out exactly what is the best fit for your needs.

Hope this helps and keep learning! :) From one Designer/interior architecture/future architect to another :)

Quote Crossrange Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 5:51pm
In addition I will be changing my storage set 2 to the cheapest sad 860 evo. For me personally I won't need that much storage as I will be making use of cloud storage and also I can always purchase one down the road and SSD will rapidly become cheaper. Also they are one of the easiest if not the easiest parts to install in a pc as I have learned in these past few weeks.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:42am

SmileThank you but most of my suggestions only serve for Cretae to explain why not. lol

That looks like a great system. For single thread the 11900 is marginally better but not worth it IMO. I agree that only using one M.2 (for OS) is best. They generate a lot of heat and new boards reflect that fact in better heat distribution but it's still on the mobo. A SATA  SSD Second Storage is plenty fast.

Good luck in your endeavors. Awesome 

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:47am

SmileThank you but most of my suggestions only serve for Cretae to explain why not. lol

Dude! it's nowhere near THAT bad!! I appreciate you.

Thank you both for chiming in! A little out of my expertise, I did the best I could, but both you guys brought very useful info to the party! We can use a little more of that around here.    

@ ODCreate:

These are suggestions worthy of your consideration along with all the other info IMHO.
ODCreate View Drop Down

Quote ODCreate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Crossrange

Hey just saw your post I am creating a similar build for interior architecture. In have done a ton of research basically 8 hours a day everyday for the past 3+ weeks. Learning from articles, videos, people on these forums, other designers, engineers etc.

Here is my build for reference you can ignore everything past the cup, GPU, PSU, ram, and SSD. As they are my personal preference/opinion and not absolutes.

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-Core) 4.8 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Halo (RGB Fans) (Remote Control Only)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)

I have made changes almost every other day as I learn more and as the DS website makes changes. One of the changes I may make is from 64gb 3200 to 64gb 3600 g skill as this was not available until just recently.

I would suggest the 5900x as the rendering/3D modeling we do is more dependent on single thread and the benefit you get from the 5950x is not worth the price. Also check what GPU score min you need for your programs/projects that will help cut some fat :). Also keep asking questions as both Hoserator and Create have helped me learn and make better decisions about my config.

Reference: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X/3870vs3862&ved=2ahUKEwijmqWY7JXxAhUIgp4KHU8yCZ0QFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1Cn5aADhvF-p9KPRS6Vx1T&cshid=1623629937784

I use programs like Lumion and escape for my reference guides. The best thing to do is go off of the hardware specs required by the programs you will be using because it could be that your programs/projects might be more multi-threaded. Only you will be able to find out exactly what is the best fit for your needs.

Hope this helps and keep learning! :) From one Designer/interior architecture/future architect to another :)

NICE! I was also advised to maybe switch the 5950x for a 5900. Most of my decisions are based upon being future proof but 5900 I won’t negate that goal.
HI!

Quote Crossrange Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by ODCreate

NICE! I was also advised to maybe switch the 5950x for a 5900. Most of my decisions are based upon being future proof but 5900 I won’t negate that goal.

The difference between 5950x and 5900x for angle thread operations is merely 6 points! The price difference is however $139 which can be used elsewhere or saved . In regards to future proofing there is no such thing at this time (probably won't be for decades).

Think about it what does future proofing really mean?
That you wont need to buy a new processor/motherboard/memory/etc.
That the programs you use won't get updated/a new version that requires the latest hardware or possibly more memory.
It's not possible for anyone to determine that I mean you could but the best of the best and a few months later a way better processor could be released and/or one or more of your programs might be updated to include better software that requires that new CPU.

You see what I mean there is no such thing as future-proofing. I believe this word is misused a lot by many. The word your looking for is either efficient or just what is best for my needs because that is the beauty/problem with PCs is that you can just keep upgrading them infinitely at least for now.

So that is why I mentioned that the most important thing is for you to find out what the requirements are for the programs you will be using as there are a huge variety that have vastly different specs for hardware/software. Also when it comes down to it it's your computer/money.If you feel like the 5950x is better for you or whatever the case may be then go for it. Just make sure you reference the programs your using because that is what helped me create a baseline for what I needed and what was optional.

Good luck dude!
ODCreate View Drop Down

Quote ODCreate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Crossrange

Originally posted by ODCreate

The difference between 5950x and 5900x for angle thread operations is merely 6 points! The price difference is however $139 which can be used elsewhere or saved . In regards to future proofing there is no such thing at this time (probably won't be for decades).

Think about it what does future proofing really mean?
That you wont need to buy a new processor/motherboard/memory/etc.
That the programs you use won't get updated/a new version that requires the latest hardware or possibly more memory.
It's not possible for anyone to determine that I mean you could but the best of the best and a few months later a way better processor could be released and/or one or more of your programs might be updated to include better software that requires that new CPU.

You see what I mean there is no such thing as future-proofing. I believe this word is misused a lot by many. The word your looking for is either efficient or just what is best for my needs because that is the beauty/problem with PCs is that you can just keep upgrading them infinitely at least for now.

So that is why I mentioned that the most important thing is for you to find out what the requirements are for the programs you will be using as there are a huge variety that have vastly different specs for hardware/software. Also when it comes down to it it's your computer/money.If you feel like the 5950x is better for you or whatever the case may be then go for it. Just make sure you reference the programs your using because that is what helped me create a baseline for what I needed and what was optional.

Good luck dude!

Sorry for not listing the software in use lol. Blender, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Cinema 4D, Octane, Photoshop.

In terms of future proof, i define it as not needing to spend thousands on a complete new build. A system that will last me 3-4 years minimum to do professional grade (based on industry standards set at a given time) work.

Most of my work is self produced content, written by my team. We are an independent group so my needs are based around “can i be efficiently affective?” For example, I need multiple monitors partly from a “personal” comfort standpoint. Center monitor for main work, right monitor for reference, left monitor communications (email, messaging, social media, etc.) I COULD use just one monitor that was very large but I don’t want to have to look at any other device while working. Tech wise I need to be able to produce solely for my art direction without compromise.
HI!

Quote Crossrange Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:21am
Ah okay so it seems you are more more on the video editing side. I know very little about that ATM and am only familiar with a couple of the listed programs so I'll let someone else who is experienced with those chime in. Also I don't know much about multiple monitors but a good source where I was be going to learn more about it was LTT on YouTube.

P. S. I guess I got too excited when I saw rendering and 3d animation lol I thought we were both in the architecture field haha. My build is not based on any of those programs but just fyi my fi or usually requires the most intensive building the world in terms or cpu/gpu/memory so I think you're fine there. I just don't know what you need for The Multiple monitors and such
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Cretae

[QUOTE=hoserator]

Dude! it's nowhere near THAT bad!! I appreciate you. 
...................................."

I meant it in a good way. I post and you explain the why. It works! StrongAwesome
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 2:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply