FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help for a mom looking for a killer Xmas present?

Post Date: 2015-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mdmom23 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mdmom23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help for a mom looking for a killer Xmas present?
    Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
Hi there,

I know nothing about PCs or gaming, but my son loves everything gaming related so I want to surprise him for Xmas with an awesome machine. Well, awesome and between $800-1200.

I'd prefer to start on the low end and upgrade components (if that's possible).Any of your machines would be a huge step up from what he's using now (a laptop which he tells me gets about 3fps :) ).

So it looks like I need to pick between the Vanquish I or II. I was also looking at the basic Eclipse but it's a little above my price range. Can anyone help me decide between these models? Will he be happy with a Vanquish I for a year or two until we can afford to upgrade?

Also - could you clarify if these have WiFi connectivity? Thanks! I'm so tired of reading about GPUs, Intel vs. AMD, graphics cards, etc, etc. - please help a mom out! Thanks!!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 8:24pm
The vanquishes don't have wifi built in, you will need to buy a wireless usb adaptor which you can find for cheap on Amazon or something. I think one that comes recommended by some is this:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N300-Wi-Fi-Adapter-WNA3100/dp/B003G2Z1M6
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
FearNoPain View Drop Down

Quote FearNoPain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:17pm
If the laptop your son currently uses only gets around 3fps in games, then yes, even Vanquish level 1 will be a huge improvement.
mdmom23 View Drop Down

Quote mdmom23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:43pm
Well, there is a chance that he said that so I'd get him a computer. 3fps seems pretty slow!! I'd just like to know if the lowest model would be good enough. Does it depend on what he is playing? At what point would an average user be able to tell the difference between I and II?

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 3:26am
Hi mdmom23... The level 1 or 2 will game decently but it does depend on what he plays, the monitor resolution and if he needs high in game graphics settings.   The entry level Vanquish lvl 1&2 will play well on a 1080p or less monitor/tv with graphics set to medium on some games.   So many different games with different requirements it's tough to answer.   

They are both excellent gifts.    

I do understand tough budgets, but buying low and updating in a few months just means buying the same parts twice. But, the wallet does tend to dictate.

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Nov 2015 at 3:29am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 3:58am
Here's a link that compares the gtx 950 and 960, video cards in the Vanquish lvl 1 and 2 , with various games.    

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/review-nvidias-gtx-950-is-a-highly-capable-good-value-gpu-for-1080p-gaming/

The gtx 950 or 960 both game well on Ultra with some games.   Drop the settings to High and the fps will rise considerably without sacrficing much in enjoyment.   You can see the difference between the two.   Assuming a tv at 1080p, you'll be miles ahead of typical box store computers that don't even have a seperate graphics card or a much slower one.

The graphics cards are the biggest difference in gaming. Level 2 is faster and has an SSD, solid state drive, for booting to Windows in seconds. Level 1 is a bit slower but still beats anything else out there for the money.

Hope this helps.

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 6:48am
Hey, and welcome to the forums. Buying your son a nice gaming desktop is an amazing christmas gift idea. I wish my mother would have thought of that back in the day when I first got into the PC gaming scene.

So let's start with the first part of your question. Which one to buy. As Bprat pointed out that lvl 2 offers an ssd with a slightly larger power supply, and a better GPU. If you can afford it in your budget, then hands down get the lvl 2. The difference in performance between lvl 1 an lvl 2 will definitely be very noticeable.

Now with that said, I'd like to talk about why I don't think either is a very good option and how you should be looking at possibly the level 3 (at least).

You talk about buying low, but allowing your son to update later. Save up a little money, buy a new part. Great idea. I think it would be excellent for any new PC gamer, as it gives you the ability to customize your own system (a pride thing), learn about different parts, brands, etc.. find what you like from aesthetics to performance. But the problem with that is, when buying the lvl 1 or the lvl 2, we're very limited. The GTX 960 is a great card, and for it's price, it's an amazing card to buy a second one of and sli later on. You can get the performance of a $550 card, by buying 2x $250 card in sli. Save a little and get roughly the same performance (IE 2x GTX 960's vs a single GTX 980).

But let's look at the power supplies. upgrading to more than one card (while doable on a 600w) it isn't exactly ideal. So we are basically limited the ability to upgrade. On top of that, the H110 chipset motherboard being used only supports a single gpu. So, upgrading future GPU's is out of the question, unless you want to buy a GTX 970 or higher later. But then you're just throwing that GTX 960 you just bought out the window as you have no way to use it (in your current build... can always save it and put it in a different pc or sell it I guess). But you see the issue here. Buy cheaper with the idea of upgrading later and we've already hit a few walls. You'll need a new motherboard, a bigger psu, and another GPU. Price is now more than what it'd cost to have just bought the lvl 3 or lvl 4. While the purchase is cheap now, in the long run, it'll end up being more expensive.

With the lvl 3, you get a motherboard that can support another GPU, with a power supply that is definitely able to support dual GPU's. We get a larger SSD, better cooling, a better chipset/motherboard... just overall better. It will allow you to upgrade in the future for less (both financially and stress).

I do get a budget. Sometimes, even when you want something nicer, it just can't be done. Assuming you still need to buy a keyboard, mouse, and possibly a monitor. that $1200 on a pc is really just part of a $1500 total set up. So adding on the cost of the lvl 3... well I get it. But, we need to look at the set up:

Between the lvl 1 and the lvl 2. Definitely, hands down, the level 2. It's not even a comparison.

But a personal recommendation is get at least the lvl 3. Buying cheap to upgrade later can (and with the lvl 2 will) cost you way more in the long run. The lvl 3 will let him dominate 1080p gaming on high settings with a lot of games no issues at all. While the GTX 960 in the lvl 2 is an absolutely amazing card, that GTX 970 will just destroy 1080p for him. And later down the road that $350 GTX 970 will drop in price, so saving and upgrading with be easier. And dual GTX 970's in the level 3 will cost way less than upgrading a level 2 to support another video card.

But, that's just me. I'm just trying to point out the big picture and down the road views here.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 6:51am
Originally posted by mdmom23

Well, there is a chance that he said that so I'd get him a computer. 3fps seems pretty slow!! I'd just like to know if the lowest model would be good enough. Does it depend on what he is playing? At what point would an average user be able to tell the difference between I and II?

Thanks!

I nearly forgot. At what point would the average user be able to tell the difference? From the moment they turned the pc on, logged in, and started using programs. The SSD will offer ~ 4x the speed of a hard drive.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 1:51pm
i get what Meller is saying and he's right when it comes to an upgrade path; however, this mom's obviously on a strict budget.  i'm looking at her situation and son's needs and a level 2 w/o upgrade path looks perfectly fine for 1080p gaming.  if the son wants/needs something more powerful a few years from now then the best bet anyway would be to get something entirely new at the point.  there will be marvelously new tech out at that time anyway.  and let's be honest, a level 3 out the door is more like $1500 (way over her budget).  she's also facing the prospect of needing a wi-fi card. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:34pm

But as far as she's concerned, she mentioned buying cheap so that he can upgrade in the future. I'm merely pointing out the financial stand point of buying cheap with the idea of letting people upgrade in the future. That's all. Educating people isn't a bad thing. You are allowed to embrace it. I promise you, it will be ok.

... content removed

Edited by Snaike - 01 Dec 2015 at 7:19am
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:28pm

better advice would be to save that $400-ish you would have her spend on a level 3 and put it towards a real single card graphics upgrade (980ti) in the future if her son decides to move up in resolution rather than up selling her on the idea of sli'ing 2x970's.  he can either sell the 960 at that point or keep it as a backup.

... content removed  

Edited by Snaike - 01 Dec 2015 at 7:19am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:41pm
Well thought out post, Meller.  I learned something.

Nice.
HAF-X, i5-4670, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780Ti, 512GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD, 1 TB Western Digital Black, Noctua DH-15
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:16am
db188 / Meller... the personal attacks have been removed.

They not productive in helping the OP in her quest to find a machine for her son.

Please remember that this is a "Digital Storm" forum. Should you wish to find a corner of the internet to continue your personal discussion, please feel free.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 4:26pm
of course you're right Snaike, my apologies to mdmom. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Snaike

db188 / Meller... the personal attacks have been removed.

They not productive in helping the OP in her quest to find a machine for her son.

Please remember that this is a "Digital Storm" forum. Should you wish to find a corner of the internet to continue your personal discussion, please feel free.

Don't worry about it Snaike. This is why I go afk from the forums for months on end. This just isn't the place it use to be. Hopefully we've helped with whom ever needed the help.

If I don't see you guys again, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 2:05am
Thank you for your understanding, gentlemen.

Have a great day.
 Post Reply Post Reply