FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help from a pro, please.

Post Date: 2010-08-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Skuncap View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Skuncap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help from a pro, please.
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 1:41am
Hi, I am currently using a Dell XPS 410, Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 and 3gb of some crappy ram. For gaming I have a Geforce 9800gt. I am way over do for a upgrade and I figured I could do it for around $1000. But after reading these forums, and playing around with the builds, I just can't seem to keep it under $1800.

Basically I don't want to upgrade for another 4-5 years. I'm lazy and cheap like that. So if some of the pro's here could review my build, and give me some much needed info, Id appreciate it.

I basically play WoW, AoC, SWG and I plan to play SWTOR when it comes out. I beta tested SWTOR with my current pc..and that's why I'm here

Thanks in advance.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=433339
teaiewold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote teaiewold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:10am
I would get the 1st Noctua fan if you're going to OC. don't go with the stock cpu cooler.

also noticed you didn't choose an OS i assume you have one?

other than that it looks decent.
Skuncap View Drop Down

Quote Skuncap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:20am
Yes, I have Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. The only OC that the PC would be receiving would be from DS. Is it it still necessary to upgrade? I thought I read here that the money for that was well spent else where.

CynicalMoogle View Drop Down

Quote CynicalMoogle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:25am
no, the measure of the OC that you get from DS is dependent upon the ability for the processor to stay cool under the 72 hour stress test. Both Noctua fans are the best deals for air cooling, and will allow for easily 3.6-3.9ghz overclocks.

Definitely /don't/ pass on the cooling.
teaiewold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote teaiewold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:26am
yes, get the free OC from DS, but you're going to want to put a better CPU cooler on that. the stock fan is poop. get the cheaper Noctua and you'll be fine.
Skuncap View Drop Down

Quote Skuncap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:31am
K, so ill upgrade that. Other than that it looks "decent"?

Was hoping for "Yeah, that will kick ass in all games and last you forever!"
Im kidding!

Thanks
CynicalMoogle View Drop Down

Quote CynicalMoogle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 3:07am
yeah dude, pretty solid, just definitely get that first or second noctua fan so your OC will be nice and high while staying frosty.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:26am
the noctua u12p dual 120 mm fan can get the 930 to 4.0 ghz easily it has even been benched higher with that exact cooler. i am gonna steal ender's quote on cpu coolers. not getting a cpu cooler is like driving your car only in first and third. yes you do get a cheesy one from intel but it will not cut the mustard.

cooling is esential to oc since the cooler it is the faster you can push it. the difference between the two noctua coolers is a extra fan and 3-5 c.. not entirely worth the rxtra money for the noctua 14. it also has a dded bonus since the ram is right next to the cpu your ram will be cooled with excess air from the cpu cooler as well.

if you can't afford this then drop the ssd, ssd is a luxury and your better off getting more power over it. yes ssd has its advantages but it is not really in the budget... your scrapping the holy grail of parts (cpu cooler), the best case ( haf 932),  and your choosing a modular psu,

other then that everything is solid, if you can't switch the 750 corsair then it is ok, but do not scrap the cpu cooler! the first thing to go should be the ssd since most of its gains are when you start up, install, delete and therefore wont give you the boost in gaming that you think you will unless the game likes to load a lot like oblivion for ex

also if your res is 1680 x your gonna be ahead of the curve a little longer, if your 1920 x your right in target. a cpu can outlast a couple gpu changes before it is irrelevant. in computers nothing will last you a long time especially now at days b/c of how fast they pump out new tech

Edited by Raif - 18 Aug 2010 at 4:32am
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
Skuncap View Drop Down

Quote Skuncap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:33am
Ok, so let me get this straight. Punt the Power Supply in favor of the 650w Corsair. Kick the SSD in favor of the upgraded cooling, and I'm solid?
Skuncap View Drop Down

Quote Skuncap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:41am
Oh, and switch the case to the larger one..and then solidness will occur?
Also I am using a 1920x1080 22' Led monitor.
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:52am
the coollingon the 932 is a little better and is worth the money if you can afford the space, keep in mind it is one of the heaviest cases dso offers. the cpu cooler is a must, the 750 corsair psu would be better since it isn't modular and there for is more efficient and is wired better from what i understand

the ssd is not all that important, your focus now is performance and power. you can always add a ssd later and clone hdd1 to it and then reformat the original hdd and use it for everything else.
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
Skuncap View Drop Down

Quote Skuncap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:48am
Thanks so much for the help, I am going to play with that set up now.
Skuncap View Drop Down

Quote Skuncap Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:47am
Ok, re built, and for some reason ended up under $1800. I have no idea how. May be something being sold became cheaper?

Here is the new build.
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=433393

New total $1790 before shipping.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:01am
looks great!

you said it ended up over 1800? i see 1790
 Post Reply Post Reply