FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP, Limited Space For Desk

Post Date: 2020-04-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Grey Wolfe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Grey Wolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HELP, Limited Space For Desk
    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 7:13pm
Ok, slight dilemma. If you look at the picture, imagine the TV and stand are not there. The area in green is the area I have to put some type of desk before my computer arrives.

So, I have a 54" length against the wall. I "could" go an additional few more inches to the left if needed.

The 46.5 height is the green line going horizontal. At that point the ceiling starts at an angle.

I ordered the MSI 31.5 inch MAG321CQR Curved Series monitor with my computer. The dimensions for the monitor itself is: 28"W x 20"H x 10.3"D. This measurement does not include the stand height for the monitor.

The Velox tower dimensions are: 19.5"L x 9.25"W x 22.2"H.

From my research, the average computer desk is 29" tall. Add the height of the monitor (20") and you have a combined height of 49". I am going to say that the stand for the monitor will add an addition 5". Through my research I was unable to find what additional height the stand adds to the monitor. With the additional 5" that gives us a total height of the monitor on the desk at: 54".

Due to the angle of the ceiling, 54" height would mean the monitor would sit out from wall approximately 8.5".

Due to the curve of the monitor, it has a depth measurement of 10.3". Add that to the 8.5" the monitor would need to be away from the wall and the total measurement 18.8". So the center of the curved monitor would be 8.5" from wall and each curved ends of the monitor would be 18.8" from the wall.

I'm thinking I could get away with a minimum depth desk of 30". That would still give me room for a keyboard and mouse, not much, but, I could live with it.

I would hope the stand for the monitor will add less than the 5" I am estimating. If so, the less total height of the monitor means the further back to the wall I could move it.

I am seriously thinking I DO NOT want tower on top of desk considering the limited real estate I will have on my desk top. Additionally, I don't want it to sit on the floor. I like the thought of the tower stands with wheels I have seen. I realize that with a heavy tower, this could be a tipping problem due to being top heavy. I would be very interested in hearing members thoughts who have actually used these.

These are my thoughts. I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

GW
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 4:51am
Are you certain you want to make all those accommodations for a curved monitor? Some folks don't like them much. I don't have an opinion, just an observation.

The heaviest item in a computer case is the power supply, mounted at the bottom, so it helps to combat top-heaviness. My radiator is installed at the very top,
the CPU with the AOI attached is only down about 6" and it's still not top-heavy at all.

Quote Grey Wolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Cretae

Are you certain you want to make all those accommodations for a curved monitor? Some folks don't like them much. I don't have an opinion, just an observation.

The heaviest item in a computer case is the power supply, mounted at the bottom, so it helps to combat top-heaviness. My radiator is installed at the very top,
the CPU with the AOI attached is only down about 6" and it's still not top-heavy at all.

Cretae,

I usually do a lot of research, but, I dropped the ball on this. The monitor is included with my order. And I didn't take into consideration prior to ordering that the curve of the monitor would cause the monitor to have a 10.3" depth. So I have to come up with a solution.

So as for the wheeled stand for the tower, you don't see any problems with using one? I don't want one real high, probably between 12" and 24".

GW
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 4:37am
I don't see why a wheeled stand would make it any more "tippy" than placing it on a desktop, say. My experience is desktop cases are not top-heavy.

You do know you have plenty of time with the current build time frames we're looking at that you can easily change your order? Perhaps the ASUS 27" flat panel would solve a lot of issues? Then there's always the wonderful world of Amazon/Newegg and a couple hundred other choices. Just sayin'.

Y'know, You've got me pretty well invested in this thing with you. I'm nearly as excited for you as you are. I'd like to see you get the very best outcome you can have!

Quote Grey Wolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 6:30am
Cretae,

I changed the order and got the 27" monitor instead of the curved minitor. Thanks for your advice.

GW
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 5:51am
Hey, my pleasure, Grey Wolfe. I just hope you have no regrets. I'm still gaming on a 10 year old IPs panel at 1920x1200, 1080p. Once I get in the game, that doesn't matter anymore, as the immersion takes over. I'm not at all anxious to spend hundreds on a "better" monitor I might not really notice is so much "better".
 Post Reply Post Reply