FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me build a new PC

Post Date: 2020-09-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
10rkid View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 10rkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help me build a new PC
    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 4:21pm
Looking to replace my digital storm vanquish that i've had for probably over 10 years now

I had one of the customer support help guys build me this, I told them I basically only play WoW at the moment but would basically like to play 90% of games without issue in the future

I am looking to expand in what games I play and my old rig is tired and only has 112 GB of SSD storage

I feel like this build is a little overkill? but I know absolutely nothing about building a pc so any opinions would be much appreciated.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 2:32am
Welcome back! Awesome

I really have no knowledge on AMD's chips so I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable members but the rest is great. Should have another number of years ahead of you with it. Big%20Smile

BTW: did you make any changes to that Vanquish? Is it still working?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:14am
There's not enough information here. What monitor resolution are you using, and do you intend an upgrade? If this is essentially a rig to play games on, with some general computing chores now and then, there is no need at all for a 12 core CPU. What the DS helper did was nudge you over the $3000 mark so you could score an extra $100 discount, but he may have overspent by at least $400 to get you there depending on your needs.

Key for you is the GPU. A 3080 is best for gaming on a 4K monitor. It will provide over 60 frames per second on every game at the highest settings. It will do better than, say, 90 frames per second on about 98% of all games. I'm betting you have a 1080p monitor like mine. Perhaps 60 Hz refresh rate? An overkill card that will never falter on any game at that resolution would be an RTX 2060 SUPER that would save you almost $500.

So what do you intend for the next 5+ years? If you want to upgrade to the next level at 1440p (2K), the monitors start at around $450, and the supercard is the RTX 3070 that will be out soon in October. I expect DS to be offering that card about $300 less than the 3080, and it is more powerful than the former champion 2080 Ti!

So please give some thought to what you will need going forward. I spitballed a couple of builds (Intel and AMD) based on a 1080p monitor, and primarily a gaming rig, and came out ~$2200 with stronger motherboards. If I have guessed at DS's pricing for a 3070 coorectly, you can get into one of those for $2500-2600.

More info, please. A budget target would also help.
10rkid View Drop Down

Quote 10rkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:32am
I'm probably going to buy a new monitor to go with the new rig

i'm looking for longevity as I usually buy a new PC every 8-10 years and don't really do much upgrading between then

anything at 3k or under is really what i'm looking to spend and i'd like to get the order in sooner or later so waiting till mid october for card releases isn't really in the game plan unfortunately

10rkid View Drop Down

Quote 10rkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:33am
Originally posted by hoserator

Welcome back! Awesome
I really have no knowledge on AMD's chips so I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable members but the rest is great. Should have another number of years ahead of you with it. Big%20Smile
BTW: did you make any changes to that Vanquish? Is it still working?

the vanquish still runs flawless after all this time and i haven't touched it for upgrades or anything. It's just becoming outdated and storage is becoming a real issue ( 112 gb ssd is almost all gone)
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:53am
Excellent build for World of Warcraft, and for any other game you throw at it.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:40pm
Okay, so you're going to get a new monitor. Wanna share what resolution it might be?

Not positive about a Ryzen 3700X, but I am sure an Intel 10700K will likely power a gaming rig as long as the silicon holds up. More cores won't take you any further into the future.

If you want to overpay for a GPU please do. If you are going to want really high performance at 1440p, the 3070 is your card. At this point in time, you would not take delivery of a DS computer before the 3070s are available, I'd bet. For $300 it's a question I'd not hesitate to ask them.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:30pm
It also depends if you would be comfortable in upgrading yourself down the line.

AMD has new processors coming out in a few months which will run on many of the current Motherboards including the X570 you selected.

So an option if you can not wait would be to step down some and get a ryzen 5 3600x or ryzen 7 3700x cpu saving some money now and using that money to buy a new cpu later that you would need to install yourself.

Or obviously you could wait assuming your current system could limp along for a couple of months and maybe play the start of Shadowlands WOW expansion on that old system while you get a new AMD CPU.

The resolution you will play at will matter as to if waiting for an RTX 3070 and saving a few hundred dollars will work for you or not.

Edited by Ariktu - 23 Sep 2020 at 7:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply