FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me config a VR mega machine

Post Date: 2021-05-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MothCrossing View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MothCrossing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help me config a VR mega machine
    Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:27pm
Budget:
Looking to spend around $2k. But I'm looking for a PC to be quite good at this specific thing, so I could go higher if it'll make a big difference.

Expectations/usage:
This will be a machine used almost exclusively for VR gaming/recording. I want to run VR games, older and brand new, at high performance. Occasionally I'd like to record those games as I play. Everything else is secondary, it will be used for little else.

Special Needs:
If it matters for cooling, it will likely be kept in a fairly small room. Also I will be keeping it somewhat inconspicuously, so no need for lots of pretty glowing bits.

Thank you! My computer knowledge is about 13 years out of date. And I'm absolutely hopeless at what is and isn't necessary for Virtual Reality in terms of PC hardware.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2021 at 4:17am
This will get the job done very nicely without breaking the bank:

3896575        $2177

To see it in the Configurator, go to the Forum main page, upper right, "Load Config". Copy and past that number in the widow.

This is the latest AMD Zen 3 CPU. 6 cores/12 threads is perfect for you, and just happens to be the least expensive processor. It's also the only one I could recommend be air-cooled.

I highly recommend the power supply upgrade so you'll never have trouble upgrading anything.

16Gb of RAM is what you want.

The new RTX 3060 Ti is a huge GPU choice at this price point. It is the one I would most recommend if you had even more to spend.

The case comes standard with the RGB fans. It's the least pricy one here is why it's selected.

This is just what you asked for IMHO.
MothCrossing View Drop Down

Quote MothCrossing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Cretae

This will get the job done very nicely without breaking the bank:

3896575        $2177

To see it in the Configurator, go to the Forum main page, upper right, "Load Config". Copy and past that number in the widow.

This is the latest AMD Zen 3 CPU. 6 cores/12 threads is perfect for you, and just happens to be the least expensive processor. It's also the only one I could recommend be air-cooled.

I highly recommend the power supply upgrade so you'll never have trouble upgrading anything.

16Gb of RAM is what you want.

The new RTX 3060 Ti is a huge GPU choice at this price point. It is the one I would most recommend if you had even more to spend.

The case comes standard with the RGB fans. It's the least pricy one here is why it's selected.

This is just what you asked for IMHO.

Thank you! This is super helpful, and I’m glad I asked because I was initially looking at much bigger CPUs. Nice to know I don’t need one for what I’m trying to do.
Question: you suggested the RTX 3060 Ti as the GPU for me if I want to spend a little extra, but that’s the card I see in the config you put together for me. Did you mean to suggest a different GPU or am I misunderstanding?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2021 at 3:14am
What I meant was even if your budget was bigger, I would still pick the 3060 Ti for VR. An overkill card will not do any better, and they are outrageously expensive right now. The 3060 Ti is all you need. Maybe in 2 or 3 years, the resolutions will get to where you want to upgrade, but this is the GPU sweet spot right now. It's great that you can get everything you want at your price!

The CPUs have improved tremendously in the past 3 years, and it doesn't take a monster to give great gaming results.

Glad I could help.   
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2021 at 5:09pm
Speaking of VR...anybody tried a Valve Index? I have done zero VR gaming and just from the 2 minutes I poked around it looks like it could go either way - totally a game changer or still gimmicky and lacking decent titles. Anybody do any VR gaming want to chime in?
 Post Reply Post Reply