FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help my configuration

Post Date: 2010-06-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BobTheSkull View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BobTheSkull Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: help my configuration
    Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 12:14pm
Hey guys im a new member to this site and lack most of the knowledge needed to configure a computer.  I did a little research which led me up to this.  Please give me any advise you can.  i do have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse already.  resolution for monitor is 1920X1080.  Ticket number is 414290.  Oooh and i will use this computer for gaming mostly, looking to be able to run most games at max settings.  Budget is $2500.

From my understanding the 930 processor is just as good as the 960 when overclocked. a little confused if i have a solid motherboard, but i heard EVGA was good and i needed one that supports SLI just in i will be getting a second vid card.
Speaking of vid cards i wasnt sure if i was better off with a really great video card or two good ones.  Also not sure if with my resolution i need better than what i have currently. Also the Noctua seemed to be highly respected for their efficiency and noise level, not sure if id need a bigger one then the one i have currently selected.  Any and all advice is very much appreciated
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 12:40pm
Hey man,

Ok so you selected a 5970 2gb. That card is very hot and is just like stuffing 2 5850's into 1 big card. Bad idea, instead I selected the 480 which is currently getting the best reviews. The only problem is it requires alot of power so it is better to get a 1000 w supply but a 750 will do you just fine.

You selected the Hailstorm which is alot of money. A HAF X is great and 127 cheaper. No use in spending money on a case and running out on essentials.

Your CPU was great and you chose the right thing.

Ram was the same.

Now the cooling wasn't that great. Another thing you'll learn about 480's is that they run hot unless you get a good case HAF X and cooler Noctua NH-D14. Here is a link to Noctua. It will keep your system quiet and cool.

I selected an 80gb SSD which has amazing benefits. You use it for Apps and OS while the 1tb is for Music, Games etc.

Here is your ticket.

If you've got any questions just post 'em here!

Quote BobTheSkull Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 1:20pm
Ok thanks alot, ill go with the modified ticket and toss in the 1000w power if you think id be better off with it.  Reading over the SSD and definitely seems like a good idea to use.. any idea on the life expectancy on them?
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 1:32pm
Um... no not really but it has a LONG life!

Quote BobTheSkull Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 1:36pm
ok thanks for the great response time, ill put my order in and start counting down the days.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 1:37pm
Just make sure you write a review!
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 2:43pm
The only changes I'd make to Bullseye's build:

-I'd switch the powersupply to a Corsair - you don't want to cut corners with your power supply and Corsair PSU's are pretty solid.  If you think you may add in a second GTX 480 at a later time, I'd go with the Enermax 1250.

-I'd go w/ Windows 7 Professional to get XP mode.

EDIT:  And I like the Dresden reference :-)

Edited by JJJJ_Shabadoo - 13 Jun 2010 at 2:55pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 4:31pm
hey bob,
looks like bullseye has you going in a good direction, few things to consider:
unless you have a specific need, the hafx and haf932 arent going to serve you differently, it comes to looks.
if you are not going to sli, the 922 will also seve you well. so its budget and looks

the ssd and storage drives are a good idea if its in well within the budget. keep in mind this basically lowers load/save times and does not really change game performance much or if at all. doubtful you would notice the change with an oc'd 920 and a 480

definitely take the 480 over an ati card imo

unless you are going to be doing some pretty extreme overclocking, the noctua d12 is plenty worth it compared to the d14. with the budget builds dso will only overclock to a max of 3.9, you wont need a d14 for that.

same applies to the power supply. if you are leaving alone what dso does for you. it will be fine. if you want to get into some extreme overclocking. spring for the corsair.
and also as was said, youll have to go to at least 1000w if you want to add a 2nd card later, even if i personally think thats not a good idea

consider this as a build: $2326 (with current $100 off promo, also free shipping)http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=414371

all but the ssd and with this you get the way better warranty
also you could move up to the 80gig ssd + 500gb drive, this would only bring you up to $2590. which is pretty darn good considering what youd be getting
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 5:40pm
That extra year of parts warranty with the Black Ops systems isn't worth the large price differential in my opinion.  Stick with the special deals build.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=414374

On top of Ender's build this gets you:
The Corsair 750w power supply (as opposed to the generic PSU).
An 80gb SSD and a 1TB standard HDD (as opposed to a 500gb standard HDD)
A 4 year labor 2 year parts warranty (as opposed to a 3 yr labor 3 yr part)

Price: $2354 plus shipping (my shipping was $66 when I ordered my comp last week) (as opposed to $2326 plus free shipping).

So basically for ~$100 more you get an SSD (which will be a HUGE boost to your boot/load times), double your storage drive space, get a name brand power supply, and an extra year of labor warranty (though you lose a year of parts warranty).
 Post Reply Post Reply