FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP - nvlddmkm driver error

Post Date: 2009-09-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
B-Comp View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B-Comp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HELP - nvlddmkm driver error
    Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 10:36pm
Just got my new computer and installed Arkham Asylum. I'm running dual gtx 275 cards in sli. About half hour into the game it starts to drag and then eventually my screen goes blank and into power save mode. When I manually shut down the game I got an error message from the task bar saying nvdia nvlddmkm driver malfunction- the error has been fixed. However the next two times i start the game I get the same issue. The only difference is that "sli" appear on the upper left side of the screen with two vertical bars.

So I think perhaps it is a problem with sli. So I turn it off and the game runs fine.

Anyone else have this issue? I know some games may not be optimized for sli but the game should still function properly I think. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 11:19pm
Yeah, this has been going on a long time now .  It's not specific to any one brand or OS because it happens to many.  It happened to me, and as harley stated, there has been a whole bunch of speculation on what actually is happening.

All I can tell you is what fixed mine and what I know worked for me.  There were a combination of things that I did so I really cannot say exactly what did it, but I've never had the problem return after I did these things.

1) I flashed my BIOS to the most current version for my MOBO.  I was one version behind when I got my system from DS two years ago.

2) When I flashed my BIOS, I lost my OC from 3.15 and it now runs at stock speed, 2.4.  I have not OC'd it back yet.

3) I've gone from 2 GIGS to 4 GIGs (2x2) of RAM. 

I have researched this issue extensively and read many articles and testimonials, and I believe the common thread is that when RAM does not communicate with your MOBO properly, for whatever reason, you get this error.  I have never adjusted drivers when I got this error and always used the most current driver when trouble shooting, so I personally do not believe it has anything to do with the GPU drivers.  I believe it has everything to do with RAM communicating improperly with your MOBO.  The funny thing is that the error code points to the GPU driver.  But as I already stated, I've never adjusted the driver when trouble shooting this error.

One thing I also know in flashing my BIOS, the new version I flashed to had an improved fix that helped the RAM's communication with the MOBO.  It stated that in the fix.  I believe that was a defining factor in the fix also.

In summary: The three variables that I have come to believe did the trick were...
1) Losing the OC
2) Flashing the BIOS
3) Going from 2GIGS to 4GIGS (2x2)

Again, this is not specific to just a certain type of GPU, MOBO or RAM manufacturer.  If you read up on this as harley suggested, you will find a wealth of info of people having this issue with all makes and models.  Keep in mind too, there are a number of things that can manifest this error.  That's why it's hard to pinpoint it to a specific piece of hardware or driver.

Good luck and God speed.

Edited by EdH63 - 17 Sep 2009 at 11:30pm
B-Comp View Drop Down

Quote B-Comp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 9:28am
ugh.  i think i'm going to have to call DS tech support.  Do you think they will help with something like this?  There is something wrong with SLI i think and perhaps that's due to the OC liked you suggested.

Afterwards i installed Crysis.  loaded the game up and tried to start a new game.  But the game crashes trying to load the opening sequence in the plane.  Tried multiple times and cant get into the game.

Alex - is this something DS tech support can help with??
phantomdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phantomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 12:23pm
I was in this group of frustrated users as well (hi EdH63).  As EdH63 points out, it may very well point to the communication between the memory & mobo. I tried just about everything BUT setting evrything to default.  My fix was to lower the clock speeds on the memory to mfg specs (they were oc'd from DS) and bump up the voltage on them.  Since I did that not one problem.  But boy, what a pain in the rear it was trying everything under the sun that didn't work.
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
2 Quad Core Q9450 3.5Ghz
8800GTX 768MB SLI
Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU
X-FI XtremeGamer
850W SilverStone PSU
TJ-9 Extreme
Vista 64
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by phantomdog

I was in this group of frustrated users as well (hi EdH63).  As EdH63 points out, it may very well point to the communication between the memory & mobo. I tried just about everything BUT setting evrything to default.  My fix was to lower the clock speeds on the memory to mfg specs (they were oc'd from DS) and bump up the voltage on them.  Since I did that not one problem.  But boy, what a pain in the rear it was trying everything under the sun that didn't work.

Hey buddy, good to see you.
 Post Reply Post Reply