FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help on this build please!

Post Date: 2013-05-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Deathdenial View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help on this build please!
    Posted: 29 May 2013 at 6:29pm
Budget: Around 3.5k

Expectation: Play some new MMO coming out this year, and single player games like Watch Dogs

Usage and Special Need: Doing video converting, *Not heavily* Playing MMORPG, and surfing the web. Will be using a 27'' 2560 x 1440 monitor.

Initially I wanted to wait for Haswell drop.. but the wait is killing me! With E3 around the corner, I am sure that release date will start dropping. I want to be prepare for that! DroolingThinking of placing this order Friday or Monday... Weekend are the worse! No work to keep me busy, so I drool over by soon to be PC Cry

Went with the 3930k cause I seen on several site MMO rely more on CPU than GPU, so a strong CPU would be a +

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Storm Stryker
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow 120mm Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

So a few question on the highlighted area:

Processor: Comparing to the 3770k, how hot does this get? I read that with the 3770k it has problem staying above 4.5 and the heat is excessive, should I lower the overclocking on this build to stage 1 only?  >>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html <<<<

Motherboard: I don't really know which one is good, kinda choose the most expensive one! Not wise so I would be open to suggestion please! Only doing some video converting, editing and burning. Primarily for family! Otherwise it will be for surfing and gaming!

CPU Cooling: I am unsure on a lot of thing here, considering how bulky the Noctua is, I opted for the corsair h100i. But then thinking regarding shipping if it goes out of place or leak, I don't really know how to fix! I know that air required much less worry and maintenance but it seem like it would be very big, hence obstructing space where air could freely flow in the case?

Chassis Airflow
: The Stryker has an optional 2 bottom fan, will DS be able to install this with the option I selected? Between the LED fan and the Corsair one DS offer, which one would be best to keep the system cool and quiet?

Internal Lighting: Is it possible to have 2 different lighting in the system? Can I mix green and blue to make an aqua-ish color? Or white and blue to make a lighter blue? Confused

Noise Reduction: I understand that the 2 rear fan can be switch so air would come in from the front, will DS do this automatically or should I leave a note?

If nothing come up, I plan to order this soon! Patience is not my greatest virtue... Ninja something I should work on Oops

Thank you everyone for your help! Big%20Smile

Edited by Deathdenial - 29 May 2013 at 7:35pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:34pm
Hi that is a good build. I believe you have to put down in the special comments section for them to rotate the 2 side cages to where air is blowing in from the front. I had them do that with the Storm Trooper.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:36am
Not sure the six core chip will help much in MMOs.  The 3770k with stage 2 oc will give you the same performance for lots less.  But, the 3930k six core might help with your video editing if the programs you use can utilize the extra cores.  You'd have to check their website/forums.

The Extreme mobo is more for those that like to tweek, overclock , etc the mobo.  That board is great for that. If you just run it as it comes in, then the Sabertooth or Deluxe will be all you need.  Its a great mobo, but you might not use its features.  The Deluxe has Wi-Fi built in and the Sabertooth has a longer warranty. 

Instead of adding fans to the bottom, I'd add one to the side panel, to feed fresh air right to the mobo/ graphic card.  But, you probably don't need to add any.  I would have DS move the front fans to face front.  Much better air to the mobo cavity where its needed the most.

Cooling... The sealed Corsair 100i  is a good cooler and the chance of a leak is pretty small, but can happen of course, but doubtful.  The bigger air coolers like Noctua will not interfere with airflow, and will actually enhance it.  Its two fans move a lot of air quietly and out the back.  If you go with 100i, it does mount under the top and I believe means the top 200mm fan that's there is replaced for the radiator.  I vote Noctua.  Other than overlapping a memory slot or two, its great. 

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 May 2013 at 8:46am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by bprat22

Not sure the six core chip will help much in MMOs.  The 3770k with stage 2 oc will give you the same performance for lots less.  But, the 3930k six core might help with your video editing if the programs you use can utilize the extra cores.  You'd have to check their website/forums.

The Extreme mobo is more for those that like to tweek, overclock , etc the mobo.  That board is great for that. If you just run it as it comes in, then the Sabertooth or Deluxe will be all you need.  Its a great mobo, but you might not use its features.  The Deluxe has Wi-Fi built in and the Sabertooth has a longer warranty. 

Instead of adding fans to the bottom, I'd add one to the side panel, to feed fresh air right to the mobo/ graphic card.  But, you probably don't need to add any.  I would have DS move the front fans to face front.  Much better air to the mobo cavity where its needed the most.

Cooling... The sealed Corsair 100i  is a good cooler and the chance of a leak is pretty small, but can happen of course, but doubtful.  The bigger air coolers like Noctua will not interfere with airflow, and will actually enhance it.  Its two fans move a lot of air quietly and out the back.  If you go with 100i, it does mount under the top and I believe means the top 200mm fan that's there is replaced for the radiator.  I vote Noctua.  Other than overlapping a memory slot or two, its great. 

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

The stryker doesn't have the option to place a fan on the side unless it has a different side panel and i don't even know if a side panel like that is available for the Stryker. I know for the trooper it is.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 30 May 2013 at 9:20am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 11:00am
Yep, you're right. Oops

I think its a big oversight on CM's part.    Sure would make sense, but .....

If someone wants added cooling, I'd go with the Trooper or HafX.    Just me. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 May 2013 at 11:01am

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:00pm

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Thank you for your help as always!

Regarding the CPU if it helps for MMO, I think it really depend on the game. I came across this review for Neverwinter, it is an interesting read. I didn't know the CPU has such an impact on MMO in general and can actually bottleneck it as well!

>>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/neverwinter-performance-benchmark,3495-9.html <<<<

Motherboard: Like you say, I will probably just use it as DS configure it... so what would be better Deluxe or Sabertooth? I have WiFi in the house due to several electronic and the router is in a place where I cannot run a direct line into my PC. I recently bought a wireless adapter, will the Deluxe interfere with this? Or should I use the on board Deluxe WiFi?

Cooling: When you say the Noctua overlapped memory space, is this the RAM?
Also, with the Noctua, do I still have access to the top 200mm or is it also replace like the h100i?

Thanks for the help! Big%20Smile

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:30pm
Noctua replaces the h100i because it is a cooler also. You can still have access to the top 200mm with the Noctua and yes it does overlap the ram.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 30 May 2013 at 12:31pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 12:38pm
What Arkansas said.

Plus, if you don't need the WiFi function, go with Sabertooth for its 5 year vs 3 year warranty because of more robust parts.

I think that article refers to better 4 core cpu like 3570 k or 3770k that can be higher overclocked.    
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 2:20pm
Looks like a great configuration!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 5:23pm
I like the config!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:07pm
Here it is an updated ticket, I opted for the h100i because I like the cleaner look. Talk to Gerardo briefly and he suggested the h100i for the Stryker case. Hoping to place this order tomorrow! So excited! Thanks everyone for the help! Big%20Smile

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Storm Stryker
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Samsung) (Model: 840 Pro Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow 120mm Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by Deathdenial - 30 May 2013 at 7:09pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:06am
Looks excellent
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:56am
Nice.  Awesome

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:25am
Order placed! Now the wait! LOL
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:41pm
The infamous wait.    Been there, done that.         Stay busy.

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:02pm
I want to change the thermal compound on the H100i, I heard the stock one are pretty bad! I am at stage 1 and payment already process... Is it too late to fix? Forgot this!!! Upset
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:14pm
Not too late if assembly hasn't reached that point. Worse case they charge a little extra for a re-do but not if you call early.

Call or email right now to request the change.    

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:23pm
I think I panic and emailed everyone... Think DS pretty much ignored me now LOL
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:25pm
Yeah, I would image you can still change the thermal compound at this point, but definitely do as bprat suggested and contact them asap.

EDIT: LOL

Edited by Tidgxor - 31 May 2013 at 4:25pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:34pm
Panic is sometimes a good thing.    

Your change is miniscule compared to some. DS is a custom builder.

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:53pm
From Gerardo,

"My mistake, HC diamond is mainly used for my laptop orders. For the h100i we do not use the stock coolant that is in the box but moreso we use th stock cooler that Corsair provids us for their units"

I don't get it! Aren't those the exact same thing? Both are stock and provided by corsair?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:02pm
You really do not need to change the thermal material, it's not bad at all. If it was, we would be doing it for every system, and Corsair would have addressed the issue.

Even if there is a difference, it's going to be a very small one. It's really not worth going through special ordering it and having our team charge you a premium to do it.

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Alex

You really do not need to change the thermal material, it's not bad at all. If it was, we would be doing it for every system, and Corsair would have addressed the issue.

Even if there is a difference, it's going to be a very small one. It's really not worth going through special ordering it and having our team charge you a premium to do it.

Oh alright, well that ease my mind. Thank you! Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:04pm
The coolant and paste are two different things.    The h100i is a sealed unit with coolant sealed inside and not changeable.      

Maybe he means they use the stock paste affixed to the cooling block that comes as an assembly from Corsair.    
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:09pm
No problem. If there ever was a need for thermal paste upgrades on desktops, we would have been offering them on our configurator. Manufactures have caught up and offer better thermal interface material with their coolers as a default now.

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:20pm

The coolant and paste are two different things.    The h100i is a sealed unit with coolant sealed inside and not changeable.      

Maybe he means they use the stock paste affixed to the cooling block that comes as an assembly from Corsair.    

Whenever I try to to quote you, the forum say this has been locked, contact the administrator Hahaha

But yeah thank you for the clarification, made a lot more sense!

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 6:30pm
bprat22 secretly has admin rights even above those of Alex.

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:22pm
LOL
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:37pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

bprat22 secretly has admin rights even above those of Alex.

LOL  Must be my aura.  Or, something. Hahaha

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 8:38pm
Will get pic before my system ship! So excited!

Just noticed the summer sale Oops sad day! Ordered 1 day before Cry

Edited by Deathdenial - 01 Jun 2013 at 8:47pm

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 7:06am
Quick question, I understand there are several manufacture for video card.. But what manufacture does DS uses? I plan to SLI in the future and does it matter say if DS uses EVGA and I buy an ASUS? Does it messed up the chemistry ? Confused
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 8:03am
No problem using different manufacturers.  Unless it says like EVGA in parentheses then it could be MSI, Zotac, Galaxy, etc, whatever they can get. 

Chemistry stays good. Big%20Smile

email them about the sale.  If it hasn't shipped, then maybe....but only they can say for sure. 

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Jun 2013 at 8:05am

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 8:27am
So everything will be fine great to hear. Alex was able to upgrade my warranty to four years like the promotion! Love it.

Quote Deathdenial Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 9:58pm
Having the patience of a 10 years old I decided to upgrade to priority build.... Should ship by Friday I hope!

Edited by Deathdenial - 03 Jun 2013 at 10:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>