Post Date: 2010-08-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HELP US: Feedback on our Buying Gude
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:40pm
what do you want to see in the guide?
so ive been adding things here and there since the guide went up, several sections have been updated and expanded on.

so let me know, what do you want to see discussed? or explained further? or addressed differently?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:52pm
Just to chime in and explain:

!ender_ has created us a really good buying guide (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=11911) and we're looking for feedback on what else needs to be added or addressed differently to make it a complete one stop guide?

Any feedback on additional frequently asked questions, or suggestions on some sections that aren't explained well would be awesome.

Edited by Alex - 18 Aug 2010 at 9:53pm
CynicalMoogle View Drop Down

Quote CynicalMoogle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:57pm
This would probably be too demanding, but the questions I've been asking recently have been about what resolutions my selected videocard could handle, and whether it could handle a dual-monitor set up while browsing the web/desktop-ing on one and gaming on another.

If there was any way to get in depth into that in the videocard section, it'd be a big help to people in the dark like me.

Otherwise that guide is pretty spot on to me.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:34pm
did you check out the Selecting a new monitor paragraphs on the faq 3rd page? i just reread it and added a little bit, let me know what you feel could answer your question better

Quote CynicalMoogle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 1:02am
Originally posted by !ender_

did you check out the Selecting a new monitor paragraphs on the faq 3rd page? i just reread it and added a little bit, let me know what you feel could answer your question better

Yep, that tidbit at the end is definitely what I would've been looking for :D Good on ya, mate.
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:57am
It might be of use to give people a template that they can use to post configuration help requests.

Something like what you already have in the OP but prettier and more functional.

And this isn't really a configuration subject, but an explanation of the stages and approximate times to complete each along with some unpacking and shipping tips (links to DS YouTube videos? Pictures of the packing, box/crate?) could be added if you wanted a true start-to-finish guide.

You could also put in a general list of peripherals common in the gaming community with short descriptions.

Edited by Runes - 19 Aug 2010 at 2:59am
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:08am
For the packing you could have something like this:

When DS packs up your computer to send out, they first put an expanding foam product inside the case to help prevent any parts from shifting in transit. It can be seen in action at 1:15.

That video is actually old, and they use a different external packing method now. Instead of using foam on the outside, they use a suspension system that sandwiches the computer on its side between two plastic sheets that are stretched over a reinforced cardboard frame. This is a picture of one side of the framing.

Think of the packing like a sandwich. The frames are like the bread and the computer is the meat in the middle, protected from any harm by the bread.

Edited by Runes - 19 Aug 2010 at 3:15am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:13am
im not sure what you mean by making the "show people how to post" section more functional, though everyone looks at things differently, so if you had more specific suggestions please post them. i thought it was pretty simple considering the vast difference in levels of tech knowledge that we get

as far as the packaging and stages, the idea of the thread is really to help you make and understand your choices. ideally, if you are already posting for help in the configurator, you dont need a lot more convincing to buy here. i really dont want it to give any impression of trying to sell anything, just a source of information/reference
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 1:54pm
a common question seems to be what is stage x?  I think a good explanation of each stage would help.
I know this is after the initial purchase, but still, would be nice to be covered, and easily found.  and even maybe a bit better explanation than DS  uses. Big%20Smile

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:41pm
Very true.
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:05pm
What I meant was something for the reader to simply copy/paste and add their information, but the more I think about it, the less I think it's in any way necessary.

I realize that the intent is to serve as a configuration guide, but those (stages and shipping) are two of the most common questions I've seen asked past config questions. They might not fit in this specific guide, but another made to address those two might be useful.

Edited by Runes - 19 Aug 2010 at 5:07pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:26pm
It would be real helpful if there were some good pictures of the recommended cases and how they come equipped with standard options. Like the number of fans, position and direction they blow. The number of Sata, USB or Fire Wire connections. The dimension of the cases. Maybe not all of this but more than is available now. This information is available from other sources but it would be better to have it on DS.

For instances, when I ordered my HAF 922 I thought it had a side fan. It would have been better to know that before I received my computer. It would have given me the opportunity to add it as an option.

Frank

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 7:00pm
understood, stage info will be added soon and some case overviews of the most popular choices:
haf 932
haf 922
assassin (fortress)
what else? hailstorm too i guess
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 7:01pm
can I do the HAF overview? please please? LOLLOLLOLLOL
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 7:02pm
We are working a massive gallery of photos for customers to get a good idea of how their configuration will look like.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 7:07pm
well there you go, ill add the stage information and we'll wait to see what kind of pictures alex can come up with :)
jstncbllr View Drop Down

Quote jstncbllr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:48pm
I'd be happy to see some information about what components do/don't contain toxins like BFR, PVC, mercury, arsenic...

I'll definitely avoid toxic crap when there's an option to.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:52pm
guide updatde, lost the sticky Oops
Runes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Runes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by !ender_

guide updatde, lost the sticky Oops

Stage 8

Quote CynicalMoogle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Runes

Stage 8

Quoted for truth. Estimated delivery is tomorrow and I almost just want to go to sleep so that the time passes.
 Post Reply Post Reply