FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help With a Cool, Quiet, Multi-Tasking Build

Post Date: 2010-06-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
149203 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 149203 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help With a Cool, Quiet, Multi-Tasking Build
    Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 4:44am
I've been going over this stuff for the past week and my head is about to explode... I appreciate any feedback!

What I'm looking for in a new computer:

Corsiar's 64GB SSD (CSSD-V64GB2-BRKT) or Intel's 80GB SSD (SSDSA2MH080G2R5) for OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
COOL - will be working in a small, enclosed room
QUIET - I record music in this room as well
no LEDs or lights - sleeping in the same room
a Hard Disk Drive that is cool, quiet, and high performance
a monitor to fit 12 tables at Full Tilt with no overlap in a 4 across, 3 down fashion
the ability to use 2 (for sure) or (possibly) 3 monitors in the future
3x2GB or 4x2GB RAM
a CPU powerful enough to perform the following things simultaneously and instantly:

-Running 12 6-man tables on Full Tilt Poker (from SSD)
-Auto-Importing hands with PokerTracker3 (program on SSD writing to database on HDD)
-Running PT3's HUD on 12 tables (each player at each table has 400+ statistics in the HUD (program on SSD reading from the HDD)
-Surfing the internet (SSD)
-Downloading music with Amazon's downloader (SSD)
-Importing or burning a CD (program on SSD, writing to HDD)
-Playing Itunes (from HDD)
-Pasting a screenshot into Paint (on SSD)
-Viewing an Excel document with Open Office (from SSD)
-Backing up data onto an external hard drive (from HDD to an external HDD that I already own)
-Running TagScanner and tidying up my MP3 collection (from HDD)

I'll not be playing any state-of-the-art video games on this setup.
I own a keyboard, mouse, and external sound card that goes into a PCI slot (M-Audio Delta 44).
In order to keep heat output down, I will not be overclocking.

Budget for the whole package: less than $2700. I MUST purchase in the next few days - though I don't need it operational until late June.

I'm interested in the quietest and best performance cooling system... The H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System seems solid - though I don't know how much noise it puts out. I need quiet AND cool. :)

I appreciate any advice!
rholyrag View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote rholyrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 6:26am
149203 Welcome to the forums!  My stage 4 liquid cooling came with Zalman ZM-F3 1800 rpm fans on the radiator and running at full speed they are not what you would call quiet...lol.  By the way, somebody will be along shortly to give you a rock solid configuration.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Maximus from Gladiator
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 8:37am
im going to assume based on your post that you are including the monitor in the 2700 price, lets see what we can see...

alright, so first i would say that you dont really need liquid cooling if you are not going to oc, especially if you dont even game, you wont be putting much pressure on the current GPUs. Most of of your needs rely on the HDD, intel's will serve you well

you could also consider talking to dso about getting you some super low noise fans to replace the case ones if you want, these are quiet cheap and shouldnt cost much extra at all

the case i have here is a placeholder, for your setup, you should just pick one that matches the size and appearance requirements for you. if a case comes with a lit fan, dso can easily replace it with one that is not lit, so dont let that deter you

Total: $2222
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH160G2R5)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

looking for some monitors for you now...

alright check this out, monitors are really about preference, especially when you dont game. some of better ones unfortunately have speakers, but obviously you dont need to hook them up, here are some ideas for you

a double shot of any of these or similar monitors will keep you looking great and under budget. you may consider, for a cleaner set up, to go with one gigantor monitor. you have about $500 left in your budget, that could get you a very large very pretty screen

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

to be realistic, this is a little overkill based on the requirements you listed, do you play any games besides this poker deal?
you could probably get a way cheaper system that will work fine, but this one will actually laugh at anything you throw at it based on the needs you posted 

Total $1667

this build is a lot less fun and exciting, but it will still accomplish the needs you listed at $550 less cost. it will drive the same monitors and it will be every bit as snappy doing the things you need it to do. you could use the difference in the money to get yourself a dual monitor mount (should run less than $200), these make your workspace incredibly neat and open

Edited by !ender_ - 01 Jun 2010 at 10:17am
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:10am
Ok so you might want to go with a dual 17inch set up or a 26inch setup.

Here are a couple:

a 25 inch dual setup for 229.99 each. http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5943&CatId=3774

Or a single 28 inch setup for 299.99 dollars.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043

You could even get a 5 monitor setup each one being 19 inches.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5581270&CatId=12

It really is up to you and what you prefer
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:16am
Ok with his new build which I just saw you can go insane with your monitors...and I mean INSANE!!!! 1033 for a monitor is quite a bit :)

But the bigger surface are for monitors the better video card required. So I suggest you get a single normal sized monitor because your video card is gonna struggle with all those monitors...

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:20am

149203, let us know what youre thinking as far as if you like big monitors, if you would prefer one big over 2 not as big, do you do anything besides what you listed in your post... why such a high budget when you dont game?

im starting to get a picture in my head of something still way under your budget but can perform all you need and give you amazing visual enjoyment, brb

Computer $1743

1x Planar stand $140

Total comes to $2343ish thats still pretty far under budget and a killer set up

please note that i did not verify that this stand will hold these monitors, becuase i dont know how to be sure of that lol

Edited by !ender_ - 01 Jun 2010 at 10:58am
149203 View Drop Down

Quote 149203 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 5:06pm
Thank you for all the quick replies!

There is a lot to consider, and I'll keep you posted on my thoughts as they progress! :)
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 12:24am
K man get back to us soon
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 12:53am
I like the build !ender_ suggested
 Post Reply Post Reply