Post Date: 2022-04-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Greebo28 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Greebo28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with build, please
    Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 2:36pm
Hi,  I need advice for a new PC(build) for my high school age son.  He games a lot and has gotten into animation studies in school.  Thinking that's where his career path may take him.  I'm looking to have some that will last a number of years.  My pcs usually last me close to 10 years.  He needs lots of storage. (total war wahammer 3 ended up being double the size of the last edition)He has a ton of Steam games.  Plenty of USB ports and a highest end graphics card in budget.  I'm looking to spend around 3k.  Is liquid cooling on its way out?  Any towers have expansion bays for dvd/blu-ray drives or portable drives the thing now?  Thank you for your help.  He uses two Dell monitors atm.

Edited by Greebo28 - 22 Apr 2022 at 2:47pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:56am
About 5-6 years is likely to be the lifespan of a gaming rig in your budget. It you're talking about custom liquid cooling, that's not in the budget, and I don't recommend it anyway. It's not maintenance friendly. CPU cooling these days is by liquid, but it's a completely sealed, maintenance-free, all-in-one heatsink, pump and radiator. They almost never leak, but they can fail eventually, like other parts.

It's important we know the screen resolution and refresh speed of the monitors for best choices. You may or may not be aware that the current crop of video cards is selling way beyond MSRP for a lot of reasons that made them in very short supply. They are a scant 5 months or so from being replaced by a whole new generation of cards expected to outperform the current cards by a wide margin, and may well come in at more reasonable prices. One reason this is so is that the current gen was pounced upon by crypto miners, but Nvidia for one has deliberately made their gaming cards a poor choice for mining while they developed an alternative line.

I'd like to know the monitor specs, because in this climate it's not wise to pay exorbitantly for any more GPU than you need. It would also be helpful if your son is going to migrate over any storage he currently uses. This is quite easy to DIY, there are plenty of YouTubes that show how. Please come back with the info, and we can make some solid recommendations.    

In the meantime, you can look at a couple of recent builds and comments we've had for others in that same price range.

Edited by Cretae - 24 Apr 2022 at 3:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply