FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Build

Post Date: 2019-07-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Superkid View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Superkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with Build
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:13am
Budget:
[1200]

Expectations:
[Gaming]

Usage:
[Gaming]

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the market for a new PC after having the same one for 7 years. I would like to run a dual screen set up and will mostly be playing WoW Classic and running some voice programs and web browsers in the background. I don't play FPS on PC only console with friends. I would like to play the occasional new PC game on high settings if possible. Any model recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
NightDiver67 View Drop Down

Quote NightDiver67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:25pm
For those limited uses and price range, you'd probably be best served going with a tier 2 Lynx build for $999. It should more than satisfy your current needs, but leave you with the ability to move to higher level gaming on your PC if you ever get to that point.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2247323

Edited by NightDiver67 - 09 Jul 2019 at 12:46pm
Superkid View Drop Down

Quote Superkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:34pm
Hello, thanks for response. I think the highest my budget could go is 1500. I don't know if I need that extra power or not. I'd like a cpu that could last a while and I'd like to be able to upgrade the gpu in a few years.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
Good suggestion, but since you're already at $1200, go $1399 for the level 3 and you'll get way more bang for the extra $199. 16 GB of RAM, a much stronger processor and motherboard, and a killer RTX 2060 GPU that will blow that GTX 1650 out of the sky. That rig will carry you for several years without needing any upgrades.

Quote NightDiver67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:52pm
I agree with Cretae. If you can bump your budget to that point, definitely go with the level 3. For the added cost, it would definitely be worth it for the leap in performance, and as he said, it wouldnt need to be upgraded for years.
Superkid View Drop Down

Quote Superkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Good suggestion, but since you're already at $1200, go $1399 for the level 3 and you'll get way more bang for the extra $199. 16 GB of RAM, a much stronger processor and motherboard, and a killer RTX 2060 GPU that will blow that GTX 1650 out of the sky. That rig will carry you for several years without needing any upgrades.

Awesome I think I may do that. Just one last question..

Would it be worth it it to upgrade to the next model so I can customize and get a 3600x CPU? It would be an extra 150$ and I would couple it with a GTX 1660ti. Is the difference in performance between a 2700 and 3600x noticeable or needed? Thanks 😊

Quote NightDiver67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:06pm
at that point, yes, it would be worth the change from the Lynx to the Lumos. Even though it may not be needed now, or even the near future, for roughly the same money, you would be getting a major upgrade to both CPU and Video card. The down side would be there would be nothing left of your budget to put into additional lighting, upgraded fans, or new keyboard...

Superkid View Drop Down

Quote Superkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:29pm
But what's the better purchase?

The pre built Lynx 3 for $1400 with a Ryzen 2700 CPU and an RTX 2060 gpu or the Lumos 1 for $1536 with a Ryzen 3600x CPU and a 1660TI gpu.

I'm torn between the two since the benchmarks say that the 2060>1660TI but the 3600x>2700

Quote NightDiver67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:44pm
for gaming, youre typically going to want to go with the better video card as it will make a larger impact on what graphics level you are able to run your games at. For your needs, I would go with the level 3 Lynx and save a few bucks... I would recommend adding a wifi dongle if you dont have a hard wired connection to the internet...

Superkid View Drop Down

Quote Superkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 4:29pm
Will the Ryzen 2700 CPU coupled with an RTX 2060 last for a few years for high settings gaming. Mostly Classic WoW and RTS games.

I will be playing on wifi unfortunately, but I have a USB device that picks up my modems signal.

Quote NightDiver67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 4:52pm
Consider for a moment that Classic WoW is a relaunch of a 15 year old game. Modern day CPU's and GPU's are barely going to notice its running, even at high settings. Currently I am running a 7 yr old CPU and a 3 year old 1050ti and Im running my games at medium or high setting depending on the game, so you should have no issues with what you'll be running on the Lynx.
Superkid View Drop Down

Quote Superkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:03pm
Ok thank you, I will go with the Lynx. Sorry for the questions, I am not very knowledgeable with this stuff. I have a linksystem USB wifi plug in that hooks into my current 8 year old pc. Should I get a new wifi dongle? I won't have access to a wired connection since my PC will be located away from the modem and wires can't be ran to it.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:39pm
That's (the 2700) a very good CPU for gaming well into the future, and the 2060 beats the 1660 Ti by about 18%. That's where the gaming happens. If your dongle works, go ahead and use it.
 Post Reply Post Reply