Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kev12313 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kev12313 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with desktop build
    Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 4:29pm
Budget: $2000 (around)

Expectations: I want a good computer to run with no lag and best or close to it.

Usage: I plan to only use computer to play one game I play called Everquest. I raid with 54 players a few days a week and when not raiding I like to run 3 characters at once.

Special Needs: I have been told Everquest is CPU type game so wanted to see if doing the cpu overclock was ok. I don't want my PC to overheat or have any problems tho. Would like PC to be semi quiet if possible but ok with sound if needed for better performance.

Saved Ticket # 1491251

Just looking for your expert help before I put in my build. Thanks in advance!   

Edited by Kev12313 - 17 Sep 2016 at 4:30pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 4:36pm

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

noise reduction is a waste of your time, if you want storage drive go with wd black edition for quality.

If you know the 1060 will give you what you need then stick with it, if not see what gpu is suggested.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

noise reduction is a waste of your time, if you want storage drive go with wd black edition for quality.

If you know the 1060 will give you what you need then stick with it, if not see what gpu is suggested.

DST, why didn't you select stage 2 OC? The reason I'm asking is because the build I'm going with is very similar to the one you just created. Wouldn't the Corsair LC sufficiently do the job, or is it because of the vcore levels?
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:29pm
Well few reasons.

#1 no reason to stress a component when I will not see much gains from it. In gaming you are not even gonna notice the difference between 4.4 and 4.6Ghz oc. For gaming you won't even need an oc higher then 4.2/4.4GHz. have a look:

#2 vcore, higher vcore can kill a cpu faster. but also keep in mind just because your cpu is oced to 4.8 does not mean that it will hold that oc for the next 2 to 4 years. With age oc can drop and faster you age your cpu the faster you will have to lower your oc.

#3 I find users here can push their stage 1 oc from 4.3/4.4 to 4.5/4.6GHz easy themselves with a better vcore on noctua then I have seen from DS's stage 2 oc.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 5:40pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:45pm
Thanks for the response professor! You always manage to answer my questions clearly and concisely. Much appreciated!
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
Kev12313 View Drop Down

Quote Kev12313 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:50pm
Thanks for help. What is vcore and is overclocking cpu worth doing if kills cpu faster?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:59pm
@Batman34 my pleasure.

@Kev12313 with a safe oc your cpu will outlast the pc itself.

the problem is when the oc is too high and requires high voltage to stay stable. You run into this problem when trying to go for a high oc. With stage 1 here you are not gonna run into that problem.

vcore is the voltage of the cpu if you will.

The cpu is the brain of your pc, when you oc it, you are making it run faster, if the brain of your system is faster that means your system is faster.

You always oc the cpu it brings forth the most performance gain for little money and no repercussions.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 6:01pm
Kev12313 View Drop Down

Quote Kev12313 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 6:15pm
Great I feel better now with the build you suggested. I plan on making that purchase soon. Thanks for the help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 6:44pm
My pleasure

Bit of info:

1. Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET ( number 3 on the list ) Or any other good light Anti Virus will do.

2. With extra fans request that DS changes all case fans and connects all your fans to the mobo so you can control them via free software. This way we can control the fans without needing anything else (aka fan controller and etc).
Also be sure to pick the color of the ring you wan the fans to have (red/blu/white).

3. The warranty here is 3 year labor and 1 year parts so if you want higher part warranty be sure to raise the warranty level to the desired level.
 Post Reply Post Reply