FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with my build (first timer)

Post Date: 2016-01-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pherzhus View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pherzhus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with my build (first timer)
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 12:35pm
Budget: $2,500 - $3,000

No accessories.

Expectations:

I am not looking for any sort of fancy setup with multiple monitors or anything. I expect to play games at 1080p or 1440p with max settings and no performance loss.

Usage:

Gaming exclusively. I will not be streaming or editing. Purely looking for a gaming machine.

Special Needs:

Since I am looking for system purely for gaming, I don't want to overdo it on anything and I really don't know anything about processors and cores and all that stuff. For my budget and needs it seems like I have a choice between i7 6700K and i7 5820K. From doing a little research it seems like the 6700k is better if I am just gaming and the 5820K would be great if I was also doing other things too; would love some feedback on this.

I also know absolutely nothing about motherboards, what is the difference between X99 and Z170? Those seem to be the two choices for Apollos.

Also, I am 99.9% sure the Apollo is right for me along with a single GTX 980 Ti 6GB.

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White) Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1) Expansion Bay: - No Thanks Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB SeagateWestern DigitalToshiba)

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks RAID Config: - No Thanks RAID Card: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

HPC Processor: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)

H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>

Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <br><strong></strong>

Airflow Control: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only) <br><strong></strong>

LaserMark: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard) <br><strong></strong>

Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong>

Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory

Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition) Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD) Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 12:51pm
I think it's a good idea to go for a bigger SSD, 250 gigs will get filled up so fast and it won't even be a full 250 gigs if you put windows on the drive. Also if you're looking for future upgrades or sli, might want a bigger power supply, I'm also thinking about buying the same system.
Pherzhus View Drop Down

Quote Pherzhus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 9:54pm
Thank you for the feedback. I don't know much about SSD vs. regular; what are the benefits? Any benefits for gaming? Yea I will likely up the power supply, it isn't much of a price increase.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 3:07am
Just as an aside, because not many people know. That is a white case. There is an option to get it in black.
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Pherzhus

Thank you for the feedback. I don't know much about SSD vs. regular; what are the benefits? Any benefits for gaming? Yea I will likely up the power supply, it isn't much of a price increase.

SSd drive are a lot faster than regular hard drives.  From what I have read a SSD really only helps with the load times of games but like I said that is what I have read so take it for what it is worth.  If you have the extra cash the I would absolutely go for a larger SSD.  You can also add one at a later date.
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:50am
Like snowandsand said, you will for sure want to install your games on the ssd, so if you play a lot of games at the same time, they will up really quick these days. I mean the new big games are huge.
Pherzhus View Drop Down

Quote Pherzhus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:25am
Cool, thanks everyone. Any thoughts on the processor/video card? All the research I have done seems to consistently show that the 6700K is going to be best choice for gaming. I also wonder about the importance of SLI. Is one 980 Ti sufficient? Is SLI only really important for multiple monitors?

And yes I know it comes in white and black and I actually prefer the white as that is what I have now on my ODE (r.i.p)
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 7:58pm
A few thoughts:

CPU: I think you're making a good choice by going with the 6700K. It's a good gaming CPU, and it will give you the most modern architecture.

SSD: Yes, SSDs are very fast, and you definitely want one as opposed to a traditional hard drive. It will speed up boot times, and game loading times. Anything that your computer loads from storage will be faster.

Video cards: The GTX 980Ti ASUS Strix is an excellent choice. It should be fine for playing games at 1440p.

SLI: It doesn't sound like you'll need SLI right now, and perhaps you never will. However, I would recommend buying a system that can at least handle it as a future upgrade. It might come in handy if you ever decide to upgrade to 4K or an ultrawide monitor. Having this upgrade available may keep you from buying a whole new computer several years from now.

Good luck on your quest!

James
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Pherzhus View Drop Down

Quote Pherzhus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by JamesAstro

SLI: It doesn't sound like you'll need SLI right now, and perhaps you never will. However, I would recommend buying a system that can at least handle it as a future upgrade. It might come in handy if you ever decide to upgrade to 4K or an ultrawide monitor. Having this upgrade available may keep you from buying a whole new computer several years from now.

Good luck on your quest!

James

Thanks for the feedback. What would you suggest? Bigger power supply?
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:14pm
I think a slightly bigger power supply would be good for future-proofing your system. Maybe something like 1000 watts would be good.

Also, I would remove the option for "Overclock the video cards." It's super easy to overclock the ASUS Strix cards yourself. ASUS has an application called "GPU Tweak." You simply launch the app, and choose between 3 different modes:
     • Quiet
     • Gaming
     • Extreme

Just press the button of your choice, and you are overclocked!
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply