FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with purchase and advice costume config

Post Date: 2020-07-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FrankShoot View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FrankShoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with purchase and advice costume config
    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 1:04pm
Hi,
This is my first time buying a gaming PC, and I need help with which PC to buy and is the best configuration for my needs.i do a lot of video and photo editing and some times play games online, only on consoles or mobile devices.But now I’m looking to play on a PC. Not a hardcore gamer, but I‘m really looking forward on playing COD Warzone. I really don’t care that much about resolution, or 4K,anything decent is fine. I’m still 50/50 on streaming my games, and so am not sure which to get. The Lumos or Lynx leve 4? My budget is between $1500-1600. I may not need a lot of memory as I got a 1 terabyte SSD portable card and cloud to store up my video files.

Any advice on what configuration I should go for between a Lumos or Lynx is greatly appreciated.

F

Edited by FrankShoot - 02 Jul 2020 at 3:26pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 4:06am
With your budget, you have very little choice beyond the Lynx 4. It will do what you need it to. If you're planning on a 1080p (1920x1080 Hi-Def) monitor, the Lynx Level 3 would be just fine. The video card that comes with the Lynx 4 is almost the whole difference, and it is overpowered for 1080p.

The most inexpensive Lumos you could get closest to the performance of a Lynx 3 would run over $1800.

Hope it helps.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 7:45am
I agree with Cretae. I was going to answer and had checked out a configuration. But with your budget and the stated need to do video editing I just didn't feel like being the first one to say "budget".

If you can expand the budget a Lumos case would give your system more space to breathe. I would also suggest a 2070 Super, although a 2060 Super may work. I just have a philosophy of buying the most computer that I can afford and have it as future-proof as possible. But that is me.

Quote FrankShoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:41am
Originally posted by John18

I agree with Cretae. I was going to answer and had checked out a configuration. But with your budget and the stated need to do video editing I just didn't feel like being the first one to say "budget".

If you can expand the budget a Lumos case would give your system more space to breathe. I would also suggest a 2070 Super, although a 2060 Super may work. I just have a philosophy of buying the most computer that I can afford and have it as future-proof as possible. But that is me.

Hey thanks..yeah, I’m really pleased with the Lynx leve 3. I feel that meets my needs. Will take your other suggestion into consideration

Quote FrankShoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by FrankShoot

Hey thanks..yeah, I’m really pleased with the Lynx leve 3. I feel that meets my needs. Will take your other suggestion into consideration

I forgot to add that I want to upgrade my graphics around next year. Like a 1080 ti. Will a 1080 ti or something equavelent work on this machine?

Edited by FrankShoot - 03 Jul 2020 at 10:03am
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:19am
Let me give you two options to at least consider.

First is a Lynx that has been customized based on your video editing requirement.

Config Number 3224707

I intentionally got you over $2,000.00 so you would get a $200.00 rebate. So your real price is $1,859.00.

This CPU is an i7-10700K. I added RAM getting you to 32 GB of RAM, I added a third storage device of another 2 TB HDD, a single stage liquid AIO CPU cooler and I also upgraded you to a RTX 2060 SUPER. (For $40.00 you can get a two stage cooler)

My other comparison is Configuration #3224719, which is a Lumos that prices at $2,117.00 after discount.

It has an i7-10700K, 32GB of RAM, the same storage and I did put in the Stage 2 CPU AIO liquid cooler and the RTX 2060 Super.

I'll let Cretae or someone else make any comments about a 1080ti vs a 2060 Super. But the Lumos case has plenty of room to move air around. What my build did not do is add the RGB lighting on the fans. DS does have free case RGB lighting (that I forgot to add to the configuration).

Anyway, I gave you options to think about.

Quote FrankShoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 6:32pm

Let me give you two options to at least consider.

First is a Lynx that has been customized based on your video editing requirement.

Config Number 3224707

I intentionally got you over $2,000.00 so you would get a $200.00 rebate. So your real price is $1,859.00.

This CPU is an i7-10700K. I added RAM getting you to 32 GB of RAM, I added a third storage device of another 2 TB HDD, a single stage liquid AIO CPU cooler and I also upgraded you to a RTX 2060 SUPER. (For $40.00 you can get a two stage cooler)

My other comparison is Configuration #3224719, which is a Lumos that prices at $2,117.00 after discount.

It has an i7-10700K, 32GB of RAM, the same storage and I did put in the Stage 2 CPU AIO liquid cooler and the RTX 2060 Super.

I'll let Cretae or someone else make any comments about a 1080ti vs a 2060 Super. But the Lumos case has plenty of room to move air around. What my build did not do is add the RGB lighting on the fans. DS does have free case RGB lighting (that I forgot to add to the configuration).

Anyway, I gave you options to think about.

I have made up my mind on having a Lynx level 3: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2486287

with the Lumos case you recommended.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 5:35am
A Lynx Level 3 comes in a Lynx case. It's a solid system for 1080p gaming.

You can upgrade up to an RTX 2070 SUPER ( or equivalent power draw) on your 600W power supply. If you intend to game at 1080p for awhile, you will not need a GPU upgrade. The RTX 2060 will get up to 90-110 frames per second on high settings in a ton of games.

Nvidia is coming out with a whole new line in the Fall for your reviewing pleasure. You should never want to go backwards to an older tech in gaming. If you meant to say a 1080 Ti EQUIVALENT card, you don't need that for 1080p, and you would have to be mindful of the power draw of whatever card you upgrade to. The RTX 2070 SUPER draws 215 Watts. A 1080 Ti draws 250 Watts.

Hope it helps.

Quote FrankShoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Cretae

A Lynx Level 3 comes in a Lynx case. It's a solid system for 1080p gaming.

You can upgrade up to an RTX 2070 SUPER ( or equivalent power draw) on your 600W power supply. If you intend to game at 1080p for awhile, you will not need a GPU upgrade. The RTX 2060 will get up to 90-110 frames per second on high settings in a ton of games.

Nvidia is coming out with a whole new line in the Fall for your reviewing pleasure. You should never want to go backwards to an older tech in gaming. If you meant to say a 1080 Ti EQUIVALENT card, you don't need that for 1080p, and you would have to be mindful of the power draw of whatever card you upgrade to. The RTX 2070 SUPER draws 215 Watts. A 1080 Ti draws 250 Watts.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. Yeah I just discovered 1080 ti is a classic gpu is still going strong. That’s what got me hooked

I appreciate you guys tip
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:43am
Our pleasure. Please let us know how it works out for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply