FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with selecting a case for my configuration

Post Date: 2016-06-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Phyneas View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Phyneas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with selecting a case for my configuration
    Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 6:49am
Budget: CDN 6000-7000

Usage: Single-monitor gaming at High-Ultra for games that are GPU, and especially CPU, intensive (Arma3, the Witcher 3, GTA 5 and so on), heavy video editing, large engineering drawings review, lots of multitasking

Special Needs: None

Saved Ticket #: 1433248

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed <br><strong></strong>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Hi there, this is my first time with Digital Storm (my previous custom-build was from Origin) and I have been reviewing components for several months and I've got my build right where I want it - though any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. It is a home computer that will be used for both gaming and work (video editing, reviewing engineer drawings, general business multitasking) and as I only buy one ever 5 years or so I want to make sure that it will last me well. The only part of it that I would theoretically upgrade is either the GPU or the RAM, but otherwise I'll be leaving it alone.

I should note that I have asked DS for a few alterations in the above config:

- Replacing the listed mobo with the MSI Gaming Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION
- Replacing the RAM with CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz RAM (from the mobo's QVL)
- Replacing the PSU with an EVGA 1000W Platinum model

I've selected Win10Pro over Home since it gives me control over updates and lets me downgrade to Win7Pro if I want to - I'm a bit wary of Win10.

All the hard drive space is for the OS and essential files on the C, gaming (Steam and Origin) on the D, and then video editing and storage on the remaining two drives.

I've gone with a single GTX 1080 as I don't game in 4K or use multiple monitors or anything like that, and I can always add another one later on, or replace it with an upgraded model.

The one thing I don't know about though is the case. There are so many different cases available and reviews for them, and I don't have any experience with cases or how to pick them. I have selected the default cause for the Hailstorm config, and I think that it is based on the Corsair Obsidian 900D, but I don't know if it is the best one for my build, or if there is another case in the options which is superior. I don't know how much space I should want or need for my build, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's the last part of my build to figure out before I can pull the trigger and finally play Witcher 3 and GTA 5 in anything approaching high settings :)

Thanks very much.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 7:33am
Hi Phyneas....   The Corsair 900d, Hailstorm 2, is an excellent case.  If you want something a bit smaller and with great airflow, the Velox fits.  The Velox  however is  a right facing case with inverted motherboard with graphics card fans facing up.  Depends on your desk situation or just aesthetics.

The Apollo, Corsair 760 t, is also a nice case with decent airflow. 

For your build, they all work.  Personal choice , looks, etc. plays a big part. 

If your apps can use more than 4 core and its worth it for you, the X99 with 5820k/5930k or newer, but more expensive, 6800k might help out.  The x99 also has quad channel ram vs Z170 dual channel.  You'd know your needs better than us.   Difference between 5820k and 5930k is the number of pcie lanes from cpu. 

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Jun 2016 at 7:34am
Phyneas View Drop Down

Quote Phyneas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 8:35am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Phyneas....   The Corsair 900d, Hailstorm 2, is an excellent case.  If you want something a bit smaller and with great airflow, the Velox fits.  The Velox  however is  a right facing case with inverted motherboard with graphics card fans facing up.  Depends on your desk situation or just aesthetics.The Apollo, Corsair 760 t, is also a nice case with decent airflow.  For your build, they all work.  Personal choice , looks, etc. plays a big part.  If your apps can use more than 4 core and its worth it for you, the X99 with 5820k/5930k or newer, but more expensive, 6800k might help out.  The x99 also has quad channel ram vs Z170 dual channel.  You'd know your needs better than us.   Difference between 5820k and 5930k is the number of pcie lanes from cpu.  Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Thank you for your reply. Is there a downside to having an overly large case? Does it impact airflow or anything like that? I was also look at the Velox as well, so I'll try and do a bit more research especially as regards air flow and where the fans are and so on.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 8:40am
No downside to a larger case.  Its pretty much what you want, the room you have, etc.  Both the 900d and the Velox will keep temps in check. 

The Hailstorm 2 is usually used for full water cooled setups, cpu and gpu, like the Pro with separate reservoir, rads, pump etc. and has the room  for multi rads, but its fans do a very good job for air cooled cards. 

Your rig with the Lite Hydrolux is like a self contained, sealed unit, but with the option to add to the loop. 

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Jun 2016 at 8:44am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 1:18pm
i'm no thermal dynamics expert, but i'd venture the more confined a space is the hotter it gets.  the closer components are to each makes heat transfer more efficient.  dead air space can occur between two vid cards that are close together.  with a larger case you can use a larger motherboard, which spreads things out a bit.  you can use more fans, bigger fans, more radiator space, more mounting options, etc.

the downside is, of course, space considerations of where to put it.  how much it weighs makes it difficult to move around and shipping costs if you were to have to send it back for service or any other reason.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Phyneas View Drop Down

Quote Phyneas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:09am
Thank you for all of the replies. I've decided to stick with the Hailstorm case, more space, more cooling options.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 2:53am
Great choice. Strong More room makes it easier to clean and work in it, if necessary. It will stay very cool.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 2:59am
Agree with hoserator. Congrats on the Hailstorm case. It's gonna be big, but lots of breathing room to play in.   
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 2:52pm
I'd possibly consider getting RAM that is at least 2400 mhz if it were me. The original standard for DDR4 was 2133mhz, but it's been bumped up to 2400mhz. While this won't cause you any issues, and probably won't effect anything you'll do, the price difference is minimal and 2400mhz RAM ran to make a RamDISK, you'll appreciate it.

When building a nice high end system, why pick lower speeds of memory?

But that's personal preference for me. The rest of it looks straight. I think you'll love the 900D. It's getting kind of old now, but it is a case that will last you for a very long time. So much room to build into, expand, and have fun with.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Phyneas View Drop Down

Quote Phyneas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Meller

I'd possibly consider getting RAM that is at least 2400 mhz if it were me. The original standard for DDR4 was 2133mhz, but it's been bumped up to 2400mhz. While this won't cause you any issues, and probably won't effect anything you'll do, the price difference is minimal and 2400mhz RAM ran to make a RamDISK, you'll appreciate it.

When building a nice high end system, why pick lower speeds of memory?

But that's personal preference for me. The rest of it looks straight. I think you'll love the 900D. It's getting kind of old now, but it is a case that will last you for a very long time. So much room to build into, expand, and have fun with.

I see what you're saying. When I was reading up about the Z170 it said that 2400MHz was the minimum you should go for. I went on newegg and a couple of other sites and cross-referenced price, performance and the QVL for the mobo (which I am married to, love its reviews, options and price) and the above was the model I thought that was the best available. The alternative would be the CMD32GX4M4A2400C14, but I chose against it for several reasons:

- the 2133MHz is a lower price, the 2400MHz model costs almost twice as much (CAD 329 vs 169). When you try and find something at CL12-13 for 2400MHz you're pretty much in the CAD 300-400 range which is way too much extra for RAM (for me at least).

- the 2133MHz comes with an XMP that you can upclock to 2400MHz (at 1.35V). I'm not too worried about overclocked RAM causing a problem, if it fails it's easy to replace, and I've been on overclocked RAM for 5 years now with no problems.

- the 2133MHz's timings are far better than the 2400MHz's. I've read consistently over the years that lower timings on a lower speed is still superior to higher timings on a higher speed. With the 2133 you are getting 13-15-15-28, whereas the 2400 is 14-16-16-31.

Because of all of that I think I've made the right choice, but I'll do a bit more research into it to make sure.
Phyneas View Drop Down

Quote Phyneas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 3:20am
I'm finalising my build and preparing to order it today, but there's still one issue left unresolved - I know it's a small one, but I thought I'd ask just in case; it's about the two fan options that are available. One is the Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition, and the other is the Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans (CAD 36 more). The Thermaltake's have less volume but are also quieter and I suspect slightly higher quality.

My question is, in practice is one known to be much better than the other? I know that the main cooling part is on the CPU and the GPU but you should also keep the case cool and dust-free, so I don't know how much of a difference there really is between the two. On amazon and newegg and such the Thermaltake has slightly better reviews though the control mechanism for it seems a little bit awkward. I don't really want to have to purchase a Fan Control module from Airflow Control, so I don't know which will be easier to operate and still get the job done. Should I ask DS to use entirely different fans, or are the ones I've selected fine?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 4:00am
IMHO, the Hailstorm stock fans are all you need, especially with your CPU and gpu under water. The choice would be aesthetics.....color, led or not, etc.       Bios and other 3rd party programs , even mobo FanXpert, can be used for fan control, if noise reduction is wanted.

Same for the ram conundrum.... The actual real world difference in gaming and all but heavy productivity in both speed and timing, latency , is minimal. Is there some differenc? Yes, but not very noticeable for most.    That said, I haven't spent a lot of energy researching it, I never thought it worthwhile. Could be wrong.

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Jun 2016 at 4:08am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 4:02am
those TT Riing fans are high static pressure fans for radiators, not case fans.  you can use them as case fans in areas where you need to push air thru tight spaces (like hard drive and optical drive cages), but for a rear exhaust or open areas of the case like in the top or bottom where nothing is blocking air flow you're better off getting air series fans.   as far as how they perform vs. the competition, i don't really know.  i suspect they're probably not very high performers thermally and/or acoustically, at least not compared to some of the better options out there (like EK Vardars). 

also, these fans come with a fan controller per 3 pack. 

Edited by db188 - 13 Jun 2016 at 4:04am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Phyneas View Drop Down

Quote Phyneas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 4:22am
Thank you @bprat22 and @db188 for both of your replies - I'll take your advice and stick with the Corsairs.

Edited by Phyneas - 13 Jun 2016 at 4:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply