FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with selecting a case for my configuration?.

Post Date: 2019-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iosman123 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iosman123 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with selecting a case for my configuration?.
    Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 11:47pm
Hello,

Budget: CDN 6000-7000

Usage: Single-monitor gaming at High-Ultra for games that are GPU, and especially CPU, intensive (Arma3, the Witcher 3, GTA 5 and so on), heavy video editing, large engineering drawings review, lots of multitasking

Special Needs: None

Saved Ticket #: 1433248

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed <br><strong></strong>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Hi there, this is my first time with Digital Storm (my previous custom-build was from Origin) and I have been reviewing components for several months and I've got my build right where I want it - though any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. It is a home computer that will be used for both gaming and work (video editing, reviewing engineer drawings, general business multitasking) and as I only buy one ever 5 years or so I want to make sure that it will last me well. The only part of it that I would theoretically upgrade is either the GPU or the RAM, but otherwise I'll be leaving it alone.

I should note that I have asked DS for a few alterations in the above config:

- Replacing the listed mobo with the MSI Gaming Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION
- Replacing the RAM with CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz RAM (from the mobo's QVL)
- Replacing the PSU with an EVGA 1000W Platinum model

I've selected Win10Pro over Home since it gives me control over updates and lets me downgrade to Win7Pro if I want to - I'm a bit wary of Win10.

All the hard drive space is for the OS and essential files on the C, gaming (Steam and Origin) on the D, and then video editing and storage on the remaining two drives.

I've gone with a single GTX 1080 as I don't game in 4K or use multiple monitors or anything like that, and I can always add another one later on, or replace it with an upgraded model.

The one thing I don't know about though is the case. There are so many different cases available and reviews for them, and I don't have any experience with cases or how to pick them. I have selected the default cause for the Hailstorm config, and I think that it is based on the Corsair Obsidian 900D, but I don't know if it is the best one for my build, or if there is another case in the options which is superior. I don't know how much space I should want or need for my build, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's the last part of my build to figure out before I can pull the trigger and finally play Witcher 3 and GTA 5 in anything approaching high settings :)

thanks
iosman
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 3:04am
This is a fake post. It's original can be found here.

This imposter has been suspended and blocked.

This is only here to show regular users what to watch for on these scams. One of the best "tells" is someone who wishes to utilize high end functions like "video editing" etc with a GPU from 2 or 3 generations ago (1080). Also, listing older games (GTA5) and applications can also give them away.

Edited by Snaike - 17 Nov 2019 at 3:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply