FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HERE IS $2700. Now go build a PC!

Post Date: 2008-06-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarkT View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HERE IS $2700. Now go build a PC!
    Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 4:46pm
Hi Gang.

After spending 3 weeks comparing Cyberpower, Vigor, Digital Storm, IBuyPower, reviewing reseller ratings, reading hours of forum posts, and running several hundred configurator PC setups, I am ready to slit my throat!

Ok, not really. But, I have made one decision. It will be a Digital Storm system. So, with the Who question now answered, the next question becomes WHAT, as in what do I buy.

As a 43 yr old father, who never gets to see his PC anymore due to his 9 yr old playing HL2 and TF2 all day, I have decided it is time for a second computer.

Here is my current one.

Dell Model 410

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz,1066FSB) with 2MB cache

1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 1GB Ram

Sound Blaster Audigy MB Audio

Cable Modem

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005,English

I am sick of DELL! I tell this to you only because the new computer will go next to it and I will want to network the two together. It doesnt have to be wireless since they will be in the same room. I currently have a cable modem and Canon 830 printer.

Enough background. Here is the juicy part. I have about $2700 to play with. Of course, less is better, but I can go that high if necessary, perhaps even higher if my wife never sees the invoice...lol.

So, what would YOU do with that kind of money. Digital Storm? Feel free to way in!!

A couple of things I am struggling with. ATI vs. Nvidia. The July issue of PC GAMER rates the ATI HD 3870 X2 1GB card much better than the Nvidia 9800 X2 1GB, basically because it costs $200 less retail. Anybody have a preference? Or a clear reason for one over the other?  Or another option?

RAID vs. SATA? RAID 0, 1? All I hear are nightmares about RAID, but it seems gamers think it is necessary? Any advice here would be great. Do you really notice the difference.

I am willing to spend the money on a cool case, strong motherboard, Corsair Memory, Top Video card and anything else you all think is key! I dont need a monitor (Have an LG 26") or Speakers. I don't know what I need for networking the two computers together, so any advice there is greatly appreciated.

I AM NOW AT YOUR MERCY.

Any help would be met with free food and coffee, but since that won't be possible, please accept my undying gratitude. I can make my way around the inside of a computer. I have replaced video cards, hard drives, sound cards, but a little knowledge is very dangerous, so I am doing the very unmanly thing and stopping to ask for help. yeah, I know, don't tell my wife.

Thanks, in advance, for taking the time to read this, and for any replies.

MARK
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 5:12pm
Wait for the new cards to come out. The GTX 280/260 and the ATi 4850/4870. The GTX comes out mid June. The ATi a bit later. So its less then a month. Probably a month+ for variations though. From all rumors and spec wise they will be superior cards bang for the buck wise then the cards out now.

I will list my order namely because it was right at 2702 dollars. Should be arriving June 11th. But by all reguards, wait till the new cards come out...you wont be let down. As said its under a month wait. For the GTX its a little over a week now.

As to the reasoning behind my build. I wanted flexiblity. I wanted a nice system, but one that could be improved upon for quite a while. Keep in mind im fairly skilled at making a computer, so if this isnt your game you might not wanna try this build.

- The Power Supply should be more then enough for SLI 280s. I dunno about tri sli as i dont know how much power those cards will pull. But i do know that itll be able to run Quad 98GX2.

- The Ram is only 2GB mostly because I wasnt sure of the ram speed i wanted. I think actually ill be going with 1600 speed and 2x2 which ill be installing myself later on down the road.

- I went with mobo sound because i heard that its improved a lot since back in the day, so i figured id give it a shot. I can always add a card later if I dont like the sound. If im okay with the sound then i just saved myself a bit of cash.

- The case was just a personal perference, I liked the large 200mm+ fan on the side that blows on the graphic card plus its very large size. You can save 25 bucks by going with a 850 or 950 case thatd drop it under that magical 2700 line you have.

- I set up a 80GB drive for the OS. I like to reformat a lot and having the OS seperate will save me some time, or if the OS has problems and needs a reinstall i wont lose any of my data on the other drive.

- I plan to overclock everything myself, it isnt that hard to do. Plus i know overclocks can be lost so to me at least having DS overclocking wasnt a good value for me. Video card overclocking you can do mostly through a bunch of free programs out there. The Ram timing overclock does give you a cool ram fan, but you can get one of those fans on newegg for 20 bucks.

-- I have my qualms about the 790i mobo, sure it uses the new DDR3 which makes it future proofed at least in that reguard, from what ive read on various forums it seems rather quirky and prone to fail a lot. But we will see.

Anyways enough rambling. Like i said, this is a nice build if you like to improve your computer yourself a lot.

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop 60166 Quantity: 1 $2,702.00

System Configuration:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S (Black Aluminum Edition)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz (1333MHz Front Side Bus) (6MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra  SLI) (DDR3 Only)
Memory: 2GB DDR3 Corsair at 1333MHz
Floppy / Card: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: 80GB Western Digital (8MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800GX2 1GB
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)
Case Lighting: - No Thanks
Round Cables: - No Thanks
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Overclock Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Overclock Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Sub-Total: $2,702.00
Tax: $0.00
S&H: Ground $0.00
Grand Total: $2,702.00

Edited by SunfighterLC - 09 Jun 2008 at 5:14pm
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
gdhart View Drop Down

Quote gdhart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 5:27pm
A few more questions before getting to a configuration.  What are you going to be using it for - Exclusive gaming, gaming and home/office, gaming and video editing...?  The answer to these will let us know what type of hard drive configuration is best.

For instance, for me I do both gaming and video editing and I have 1 500 GB drive for my system drive and 2x500 GB drives in a RAID-1 to protect the home movies and pictures and important documents.  I original had just 2 drives in a RAID-0 but one of the drives failed.  I was lucky in that a local company was able to recover the files from the failed RAID-0.

Do you need two optical drives or will one do?

Are you planning on using two video cards in SLI (This can be helpful when you have a display greater then 22")?

Do you have a preference to XP or Vista?

Here is a configuration to get you started - when you answer the questions it can be tailored to your needs.

850W PSU/Pro Case
Q6600-G0 2.7GHz
nVidia 680i A1 Revision
4GB 800MHz XMS2
1x500 GB WD, 2x500GB WD RAID-1
2x500GB Ext
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
ATI TV Wonder 650
Air Cooled Stage 3
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 5:40pm
@sunfighter, Unless you play @ 2560x1600 with max settings or these cards will outperform the current gen by 100%, there is no way a $449+ card can be considered the best bang for the buck.

@mark, Will this PC be used for gaming, business, editing, or other stuff?

How long do you intend to keep this PC?

Do you intend to do your own upgrades such as add more ram or add another GPU?

Edited by skyR - 09 Jun 2008 at 5:42pm
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 6:12pm
I do have a 28in monitor =P. But yea, when your spending 2700-2800 bucks on a computer, i think a top notch graphic card is in order!
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 7:35pm
First, THANK YOU for the input. Well thought out, and all your questions will be answered.

1. I prefer XP, only because I haven't seen any rave reviews about Vista. I have heard it is a mother to uninstall, but a breeze to upgrade. So I figure start with XP, upgrade later when Vista proves to be mainstream for gaming.

2. I will be doing some video editing, and I do have a lot of movies, pictures, family stuff. I use Ulead Media Studio Pro, I think Version 8. I am by no means a pro, but my family seems impressed with the 10 min videos I produce with music timed to cuts, etc.

3. It will be mostly a game PC. I like FPS games, like HL2, TF2. Haven't tried Bioshock2 or Crysis yet, waiting for this PC. I have 20 games on Steam. Track Mania, Tomb Raider Anniversary, etc.  And, I play alot of online poker, but that doesnt stress my current machine, much less a new one.

4. Since I am not a techno geek, I am not sure I want the absolute latest card, since if there is any problems, with drivers, or compatibility, I don't want to be the guy on the cutting edge, trust me, I will only get fragged!

I want a strong video setup that will be good for the next few years. If I put in one card, I have two slots free to upgrade to more video power with the 3 way SLI later, so I can improve it that way. But, thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like it would work for you, but I still don't even have a webpage on Myspace.com!! I am old school.

I would like this config to last 2 years, with ability to buy another 2 years with upgrades (more memory, more video, etc.) I realize that I will need to shell out more money down the road, so that is not an issue.

One last thing. And, this will clearly point out how little I know. What is this Operating Drive vs. Data Drive. I have never had 2 different ones. If I install a game, would I put it on the data drive? If so, then why get the superfast 10,000 RPM operating drive? How do you guys use the separate drives? Educate me, if you have time. Thanks.

I hope I covered everything. I hate not being able to see my original post, so I am guessing. Thanks again everyone. KEEP THE FEEDBACK COMING.

MARK

Edited by MarkT - 09 Jun 2008 at 7:37pm
Mark T.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 11:19pm
Heya Mark.

$2500ish is a nice place to be if you don't go too nuts with any single component. Personally, I would not bother with a 10k RPM HDD. I use multiple HDD's as a convenience. I can install my OS on one drive, and leave data and games on another. Truth to be known, you can do much the same thing by creating partitions on a single large drive, but I prefer the multiple drive approach as it makes life easier when I defrag or do a scan of my system. It also provides a performance boost when multi-tasking (two heads are faster than one), and allows for easier reinstallation of my operating systems when it comes time for that. I would classify multiple drives in the "nice but not neccesary" category.

No $2700 system is going to run Crysis at max settings, but you'll be able to make it run with enough eye candy turned on to get a very palpable "wow effect". Once you get over that, you'll probably do what most FPS gamers do and toss Crysis on a shelf somewhere while you play CoD4 non-stop. LOL

If it were me, and I were looking at a maximum of $2700, I would lean this way:

You should see a very good value for the dollar out of this system, and the PSU, while more than you really need at 750W, allows for future upgrade without the fear of "cutting it close", provided you don't see yourself dropping $2000 on GPU's in two years. If you do, go with a 1000W power supply.
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 7:49am
Tyler and all. Thanks for the configs....based upon several recommendations, here is what I have so far.

Some things to keep in mind. The $2700 number is a guide. If an extra hundred buys me $200 worth of performance, I will gladly spend it.

This system comes to $2705. What would you change????

Copy of Specifications:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S (Black Aluminum Edition)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (nForce 780i SLI)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Card: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Blue Cables)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Overclock Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Overclock Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Corsair Dominator Airflow Fan Upgrade)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Includes Service Pack 2)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support
Mark T.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 9:43am
i would personally suggest that you take the asus rampage over nvidia, drop sli and get a single 9800gtx as it will easily outpreform 2x8800gt cards
single top end card > SLI'd lower cards

love the processor/ram/hdd/PSU (assuming you drop the SLI)

the enhanced airflow option will serve no purpose with this build as all your hardware is SATA, there are no cables to make round

ive said it 100 times, i was an xp user who didnt want to switch too, but the fact is that your doing little more than resisting the inevitable, a brand new system should not be installing software that will stop production June 30, 2008; get vista, youll be happy you did, i know i was

revision:

the gpu is quite obviously not the top of the line, this is for 2 reasons:
1 get this card and upgrade it in 6-8 months when the new ones are out and cheap
2 leave this as a placeholder in your build and dont order until the new cards become avail

final thought:
dont come to a site like this and build a system that you plan to "upgrade later" as some say.. your spending well over 2,000, just get whatever peice you plan on adding later now! while you can get it in the warranty! the difference in cost for ram (for example) between now and 8 months from now will in NO way cover a 3 year warranty that dso slaps on every system that goes out the door. if you want it, get it now

Edited by !ender_ - 10 Jun 2008 at 9:49am
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 9:53am
Thanks for the config lender...couple of questions..

Why the asus rampage? Just curious. Don't know anything about them.

If I am going to bail on the 2 8800 cards, what about the 9800 GX2 1GB? From PC GAMER July 2008, they like it? Is there something about the 9800 GTX that is better? I am totally ignorant of this stuff.

I agree Vista is coming. But I have another PC with Windows XP that I will need to network to this new one. They will both be in the same room, so it doesnt need to be wireless, but thought it would be easier to have both systems running the same OS? No?

MARK
Mark T.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 10:07am
nah, i have my vista beast hooked into my xp machine regularly for data transfer, i kind of use it as my "back up hard drive", the different OS's have never given me a problem, in fact, ive gone as far as installing software on my old machine (free junk, the kind that messes you up) to test it, then literally moved the installed programs to my vista machine with 0 issues

i personally like the asus for several reasons:
if you scan through all the problem posts on the site, as i have for some time, i have never, with the exception of myself, seen someone post with a problem with as asus board (and my problem was ram) theres a notorious couple posts, outlining the epic fail of the nvidia 6 lines, being (i believe) directly linked to the nvkklm driver stop errors. furthermore, on some of the other sites i troll, the asus boards seem to pop up on most of the better overclocks and sweeter builds.
is any of this conclusive? absolutely not, i just have a personal soft spot for them

the 9800gtx v the gx2: obviously the gx2 will yeild more power, but realistically, the card is nothing more than 2 8800gts cards smashed together, i fell the gtx is a better value and, in light of these new cards RIGHT around the corner, would be a better investment if you want to buy one of the new release cards in 5-8 months
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 10:27am
I trust your call on the MB...thats the last piece of equipment I want a problem with.

and if Vista and XP can live happily, then I can see the reason for going with it.

The GXT value equation is a tough call. I probably will not buy the new cards, now or down the line, but instead add another duplicate card to my system. Of course, who knows what I will be doing 2 minutes from now, much less 2 years....

also, any discounts available around here. It is just frustrating to price this out at 2100 bucks on cyberpower, using the coupon they offer. its a lot of money. but it seems the quality of service here is much better....ahhh, the dilemnas!
Mark T.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 12:40pm
Mark,

Based on configurations I see listed on these forums, I would say the number of systems built by DSO using the ASUS intel based motherboards is a small percentage of the number of systems built using the NForce 600 chipset. It stands to reason that there have been more reported failures given the difference of total systems in operation. I simply disagree with the "epic fail" assessment. Any NVidia driver failures I have experienced were the direct result of too aggressive an overclock, or a software/driver conflict. I have never seen any evidence, from any credible source that shows a direct link between nvkklm errors and the NForce 6 based motherboards. The only "motherboard" issues I have ever experienced were actually bad RAM (Crucial had a batch that seems to have a very high failure rate, and I was one of the unlucky), not the motherboard.

The decision between SLI and single GPU will probably come down to desired gaming resolution. The cards I recommended are a step up from mine, which are capable of running Call of Duty 4 multiplayer at an average of over 110 FPS with 4xAA, and 16xAF, max details/textures, at a resolution of 1600x1200. This is actual gameplay, not a canned demo. A single higher end card may or may not perform better than SLI, it depends upon the quality of the SLI profile for the game in question.

Please have a look at this link. Note the last paragraph. Personally I went with a pair of 96GT's and have not regretted that decision. Had I had a little more in my budget, however, a pair of 88GT's would have been my selection.

After seeing how SLI works first hand, I can say it has it's positive and negative points, but I do think it's something you do as an initial purchase plan rather than an upgrade path. Given what I have seen, IMO, two years down the road, you are not going to want to sink more money into a card that is past it's prime to gain +25% performance when you could just purchase a new card that is twice as fast.

I looked at Cyberpower and Ibuypower too. Reading accounts of systems arriving with the components simply thrown into the case lose and *shipped that way* if you can imagine, convinced me that saving a little bit on the inital purchase price while looking at taking a huge hit on build quality and customer support was simply not worth it. 

When it comes to the case, any of the three high end selections will offer oustanding performance. Each of these cases will have outspoken proponents, but this bias is largely unjustified in practical terms. Pick what you like. Smile

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 10 Jun 2008 at 12:55pm
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 12:53pm
Tyler....

Thanks for the link. That was a huge eye opener article, especially since it came out this month....

This message board is a double edge sword. I have only ever bought machines from DELL, obviously very little tweaking due to the very limited options they offer in their configurator. So, I have never had to answer, or even ask, these questions.

That being said, I TOTALLY appreciate all the info, from everyone here. It has really made me question a lot of what I am buying.

Bottom Line. There are hundreds of ways to configure a PC that will ultimately end up performing very similarly. It will no doubt come down to personal preference, and I am thrilled just to have people like you all who care enough to post your preference, even if it is different that someone else.

THANKS! You guys are awesome.

MARK

P.S. I am dying to try CoD4 on this new machine.....I have never played the game before, but PC Gamer raves about it on their podcasts, so I want to try it.

Edited by MarkT - 10 Jun 2008 at 12:55pm
Mark T.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

I looked at Cyberpower and Ibuypower too. Reading accounts of systems arriving with the components simply thrown into the case lose and *shipped that way* if you can imagine, convinced me that saving a little bit on the inital purchase price while looking at taking a huge hit on build quality and customer support was simply not worth it. 

After I read various customer comments from various online retailers, I've come to the conclusion that you can go discount, but expect the "service" to basically be a partial assembly of parts (not everything will be fully installed probably due to inattentiveness or carelessness). If you want an actual prebuilt system, then you pay extra for the expert construction and service. Basically, with DSO, you're buying peace of mind in knowing that they will stand behind their product and resolve issues that may crop up with your system.

There are indeed plenty of choices to be made at your price point, but don't forget to leave some cash for accessories that may need upgrading too. Do you need a better gaming mouse? How's your keyboard for gaming? BTW, don't forget cash for that router and connectors to run your two pcs together...
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 3:23pm
I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but $600 in savings is tough to swallow. I will buy here, just wanted to see if anyone knew of an online coupon code or something. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Routers? Connectors? Oh my. What have I gotten myself into!

I still need all that stuff which is why I agreed to spend only $2700. The last $300 is for the extras. You wouldn't have known that, but I figure I will need a Keyboard, Mouse, Routers, connectors, and possibly speakers if I want to upgrade mine.

Thanks for the heads up.
Mark T.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 11:35pm
well just because your budget ceiling is 2700 doesnt mean you have to spend that much, especially if you have not yet picked a gaming mouse/kb/headset

you can get very comparable power for several hundred less:
thats almost my exact system, and i see little need for more with all the gaming and editing/modeling i do

MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 7:43am
Thanks for the config suggestion. Trust me, if I can save money, I am all for it. I just need to pull the trigger and get on with it. Next week new cards will come out, next month new processors. and before you know it, next year is here, and I still haven't gotten my computer!
Mark T.
 Post Reply Post Reply