FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey guys

Post Date: 2010-06-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Spook View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spook Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hey guys
    Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 3:30am
Hey guys, been browsing the forums and doing some research for what my new computer should be (love what I hear about DS). I am a novice when it comes to building a pc and its been years since I have had to. I have come up with a build that I think I like but want to have it checked out. Here it is:

Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,742.00
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Green)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Parts)

I am in love with the Dell UltraSharp U2711 monitor and I think I will be going with that.

Let me know what you guys think.

I have a couple questions for you too.

1. This system needs to last me at least 2 years being able to play the latest games at max or very high settings. Would this build get me there or should I add more memory/faster processor?

2. It gets pretty warm in the summer at my house. Will the air cooling still be sufficient or would liquid cooling be safer?

Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 5:14am
Hey man,

Ok so your rig looks pretty with the 160 gb SSD. Intel is highly supported in the forums so a ssd from the is a great option. Everything looks pretty good to be honest, you have the right processor and all. It would be better for you to go with LC if you have the money and OC your processor. If you go with LC I suggest stage 6 especially since it is hot in the summer. This would jack up the price about a thousand but it gives you the ideal temps. This would mean you have to buy from special ops section which would mean about 1700 more. If not you could always go with stage 4 for your processor. THIS is how it would be. It depends on how much money you're willing to spend.
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 5:17pm
Bullseye's right about the LC, its def going to cost a lot more than what you got right now but im sure youll survive with the  D14. You dont need anything other than the stage 1 OC for gaming i believe and plus stage 1 is free. Your house gets hot anyways so no point in getting it even more hot. should go get a AC for your room where you use your comp, better than spending 1700 on the LC id say. Drop the 1500W to a 1250W, thats all your going to need unless your going to go tri sli. and why the blu ray?? if you dont need it, drop it. Oh yea drop the OS tweak, it wont do anything for your apps or games and if you need something re enabled youd have to call DS n ask for a walkthrough. Make sure on which sound card you wanna get, if you even need one. If you use headphones then you can get one but yea thats your choice.

As for your questions:

1. Your system is fine even without a little touch here and there. Itll def run for 2 years playing most games in high settings. No need to get any other processor or higher ram.
2.Again the air cooling is fine but in a hot room itll run a few degrees high of course compared to LC but im sure if you just get a AC for 100 bux off sears or something then the D14 would be ideal.
Mr.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 1:20am
To be honest you're only gonna want a sound card if you are getting speakers, otherwise it is a waste of money and you won't see a difference
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 10:21am
Is that true about speakers and the soundcard?  My current rig has a sound card and a 5.1 speaker system...  But I know lots of guys who run speakers, 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 off of the motherboard?

KK
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 10:28am
Ya you will be fine if you don't get the sound card and remember that a sound card is only if you have left over money, don't get carried away with them.
JJJJ_Shabadoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JJJJ_Shabadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 12:33pm
Lose the OS Boost.  You won't notice a performance difference and if you need/want any of the disabled services it's going to be a pain to figure out how to re-enable them.

Personally I am a sound card guy.  Onboard audio is fine for most people, but if you are really into audio and have good speakers or headphones, I'd go with it.

One thing to keep in mind with the Silverstone 1500w is that it uses a proprietary power cord.  It's no big deal for most people but if you are thinking of taking your computer to LAN parties (where you may accidentally leave the cord behind - in which case you'd be screwed until you could order another cord) you may want to go with the Enermax 1250w instead.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 12:48pm
Another way you can find out if you are gonna use your card is determining which games you're gonna play. FPSs (First person shooters) are always good with sound cards because you need to find out which direction the bullet came from. And lets face it, by the time you've checked every direction you're probably dead...
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 3:46pm
most games are being made with more directional sound options, even starcraft2 does

my suggestion is to get onboard audio, you can always add a sound card later, if you feel your sound is lacking, pick one up

if you have enough money that this decision seems excessive, you probably have enough that getting a good sound card wont be tough for you
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 3:57pm
So is the configuration I made for you the last one??
 Post Reply Post Reply