FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi DS - When will the new Quad core ....

Post Date: 2007-08-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jhiando View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jhiando Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hi DS - When will the new Quad core ....
    Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 2:31am
Hi Digital Storm guys,

I am getting ready to finally upgrade my rig to a new Crysis gaming rig in November maybe even December.

Do you guys know when the new Penryn / Yorkfield extreme high end chip comes out ? And how about the next Nvidia GPU ? I want the higher end stuff for Crysis.

I am a current Alienware owner and was considering Alienware / Velocity Micro and now you guys for my next rig.

I was a little confused about your rigs. Is that Twisterboost thing a overclock of the CPU ? Does it cost extra or a lot more ? That could be the thing that makes me choose you guys over the other two. That and your 3 year warranty / lifeltime actual in company Gamer tech support & things like this personal forum deal.

THANKS Brian

skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 11:09am
The new line of Intel CPUs are expected to launch by the end of Q1 2008.

The Nvidia GeForce 9 series is scheduled to launch in November 2007.

Digital Storm does do overclocking if you make a request =)
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2007 at 2:25pm
Sky was right on the ball. If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Jhiando View Drop Down

Quote Jhiando Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 5:43am
Thanks Alex & Sky,

I thought the new Penryn was also launching mid November ? I saw this earlier this week ( I know it is the server but I assume the consumer would be close  )

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Sets+Penryn+Launch+Date/article8451.htm

As for questions... Alex how high can you OC the QX6850 with the stage 3 Air ? With one of the liquid cooling options ?

Same question with the OX6800 ? Air & liquid.

I am currently leaning towards you guys over Alienware & Velocity Micro. Your Overclocking / 3 year warranty / great reviews & in house tech support are making me lean towards you. The fact you are in CA & so I am & I have to pay tax is a negative though. 

I am leaning towards the QX6850 or is the the OX6800 better ???  I am trying to keep costs a little managed so I am leaning towards air over liquid. A single new Nvidia 9 high end card over SLI ( I heard the new high end 9 will be better than 2 Ultras ).

Like I said I am waiting probably till November but I have been configuring systems on yours , Alienware & Velocity Micro & the my total is usually around $3800 - $4200.

THANKS for any replies, Brian
Jhiando View Drop Down

Quote Jhiando Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 5:46am
>>> Digital Storm does do overclocking if you make a request =)  <<<

Does that mean they don't charge ?   Smile
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 12:53pm
QX6850 is better, it has a larger FSB then QX6800.

The QX6850 can get up to around 3.6GHz on air, probably higher.

Intel is a little behind scheduled =) Penryn release date is November 11th, 2007. Wolfdale is scheduled to release sometime near and Yorkfield sometime after.
Jhiando View Drop Down

Quote Jhiando Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 1:18pm
Thanks for replying Sky,

3.6Ghz on air ? 3.6 by just asking D.S. to Overclock & stage 3 Twisterboost  air ?

And do you have any idea what the high end 9 series will be like ? It will obviously be better than a single 8800 Ultra right ?

Thanks Brian
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 1:29pm
I don't know how exactly DS overclocks, so you would have to call them and find out.

The GeForce 9 series will be 2x faster then a 8800 Ultra.
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 2:02pm

I have the e6600 and I have it OC'd to 3.6 with air cooling.  I can't wait to get the QX6850 so I can push that bad boy!!!!!

And, I thnk Nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot if they release the G9 series before anyone can actually use the 8800GTX to it's full potential.
They should wait at least another 6 months so we can take advantage of what we got before we go and upgrade.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 2:07pm
Make the most money possible while their competitors have their heads down the toilet =)

At least they haven't annouced plans to follow ATI's footstep of releasing 2 high-end cards each year.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2007 at 8:20pm
We can hit 3.6Ghz on AIR, but, we wont  be happy with it because it runs very hot.

With our H20 package, we can safely push your QX6850 to 3.6Ghz, on air, 3.4Ghz.

QX6850: H20 (3.6GHz) Air (3.2GHz-3.4GHz)
QX6800: H20 (3.4GHz) Air (3.0-3.2Ghz)

The H20 option will run cooler than air of obvious reasons.

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by Jhiando

Thanks Alex & Sky,

I thought the new Penryn was also launching mid November ? I saw this earlier this week ( I know it is the server but I assume the consumer would be close  )

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Sets+Penryn+Launch+Date/article8451.htm

As for questions... Alex how high can you OC the QX6850 with the stage 3 Air ? With one of the liquid cooling options ?

Same question with the OX6800 ? Air & liquid.

I am currently leaning towards you guys over Alienware & Velocity Micro. Your Overclocking / 3 year warranty / great reviews & in house tech support are making me lean towards you. The fact you are in CA & so I am & I have to pay tax is a negative though. 

I am leaning towards the QX6850 or is the the OX6800 better ???  I am trying to keep costs a little managed so I am leaning towards air over liquid. A single new Nvidia 9 high end card over SLI ( I heard the new high end 9 will be better than 2 Ultras ).

Like I said I am waiting probably till November but I have been configuring systems on yours , Alienware & Velocity Micro & the my total is usually around $3800 - $4200.

THANKS for any replies, Brian
Jhiando View Drop Down

Quote Jhiando Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 3:49am
Alex,

>>> With our H20 package, we can safely push your QX6850 to 3.6Ghz, on air, 3.4Ghz. <<<

Does choosing the thermoelectric option OC past 3.6Ghz ?

And If I go liquid cooling does that mean I have to go for the Ultra case. It is really sweet lookin' though... BUT after buying an Alienware signature case I am done with just having a sweet lookin' case / I actually want more inner quality & power.

IF I do choose the QX6850 which memory & how much menory should I choose. I was leaning toward 4GB of the 800 that  Alienware & Velocity Micro have on their sites BUT reading some of the posts here I seem to now lean towards 2 GB of the 1066 or higher now.

-Brian

Edited by Jhiando - 21 Aug 2007 at 3:56am
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 1:53pm
If you multi-task or work, get 4gb. If you just play games, go with 2gb.
Crulend View Drop Down

Quote Crulend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 4:04pm
Remember, you need a 64 bit OS to access the whole 4 GB of RAM.  In a 32 bit OS, you'll only see 2.2 to 2.8 GB.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 7:58pm

Go with a 2GB setup, especially if this is a gaming machine. If you really want to go with a 4GB setup, select a 64-bit operating system so you can actually see all 4GB.

However, going with a 64-bit OS can be problematic for a gaming system, drivers, and game compatibility.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 8:07pm
We can do it with the thermoelectric cooling system, and push it beyond 3.6, to about 3.8Ghz.

Alex,

>>> With our H20 package, we can safely push your QX6850 to 3.6Ghz, on air, 3.4Ghz. <<<

Does choosing the thermoelectric option OC past 3.6Ghz ?

And If I go liquid cooling does that mean I have to go for the Ultra case. It is really sweet lookin' though... BUT after buying an Alienware signature case I am done with just having a sweet lookin' case / I actually want more inner quality & power.

IF I do choose the QX6850 which memory & how much menory should I choose. I was leaning toward 4GB of the 800 that  Alienware & Velocity Micro have on their sites BUT reading some of the posts here I seem to now lean towards 2 GB of the 1066 or higher now.

-Brian

Dave View Drop Down

Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 2:25pm
Well if i were you i would wait for the 9 Series to come out and then buy a high-end 8 series card as they will drop in price and you can get the GTX for cheaper and plus the 9 series cards are going to be through the roof on price.
X-Fire: OddityX1337
Yahoo: l33tz0rz1337
Rick Rolled Son!
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by http://www.xbitlabs.com/discussion/3953.html

65nm process will allow for better yields and better power consumption. power consumption will be lower than that of a GeForce 8800 GTX. GeForce 9800 GTX will be over two times faster than a GeForce 8800 Ultra in real world games and applcations.
Release date : November 2007. There will be TWO products at launch: The flagship GeForce 9800 GTX and the second fastest GeForce 9800 GTS. Price for the GeForce 9800 GTX will be 549-649 USD. Price for the GeForce 9800 GTS will be 399-449 USD.

definitely worth the wait if it's true =)
Jhiando View Drop Down

Quote Jhiando Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 4:33am
THANKS for all your replies,

Right now I am thinking of upgrading ONCE the new Nvidia chip ships. I am currently about 98 % sure I will go with Digital Storm.

Right now I will go with the highest end Intel Quad core, the newest Nvidia 9 chip single and 2 GB of high speed RAM  ( not necessarily the highest ) and probably air cooling stage 3.

I ONLY upgrade every 3-4 years. I am NOT a techie so I need prebuilt and usually go for the best stuff because AGAIN I am not a techie & I don't upgrade.

Last time I upgraded it was the time of Half Life 2/ Doom 3.... this time it will be for Crysis !

-Brian
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 10:20am
Sound's like a plan! Your building a strong foundation so that you can upgrade it down the road to extend its life.

THANKS for all your replies,

Right now I am thinking of upgrading ONCE the new Nvidia chip ships. I am currently about 98 % sure I will go with Digital Storm.

Right now I will go with the highest end Intel Quad core, the newest Nvidia 9 chip single and 2 GB of high speed RAM  ( not necessarily the highest ) and probably air cooling stage 3.

I ONLY upgrade every 3-4 years. I am NOT a techie so I need prebuilt and usually go for the best stuff because AGAIN I am not a techie & I don't upgrade.

Last time I upgraded it was the time of Half Life 2/ Doom 3.... this time it will be for Crysis !

-Brian
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 10:21am
Very interesting. I don't think it will be twice as fast; time will tell.

Originally posted by skyR

Originally posted by http://www.xbitlabs.com/discussion/3953.html

65nm process will allow for better yields and better power consumption. power consumption will be lower than that of a GeForce 8800 GTX. GeForce 9800 GTX will be over two times faster than a GeForce 8800 Ultra in real world games and applcations.
Release date : November 2007. There will be TWO products at launch: The flagship GeForce 9800 GTX and the second fastest GeForce 9800 GTS. Price for the GeForce 9800 GTX will be 549-649 USD. Price for the GeForce 9800 GTS will be 399-449 USD.

definitely worth the wait if it's true =)
 Post Reply Post Reply