FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High temp issues with 5950x and NHD15

Post Date: 2021-09-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Scott103 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott103 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: High temp issues with 5950x and NHD15
    Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 1:05am
I am helping a friend of mine build a PC for content creation, we finished yesterday and we started setting up the baseline setup (DOCP, PBO) but I have some temperature issues. here are the important specs:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

5950x

NHD 15, stock middle fan, NF-A12 as second fan (stock second fan doesn't fit on case) got some cryonaut on it.

9 ML-120s in a 6 in (side and bottom) 3 out (top) configuration

Asus X570-E

Current settings: DOCP enabled (3600-18/22/22) PBO with thermal limit at 85, no Asus enhancements enabled.

with this setup we get 28k in cinebench r23(which is around average for this chip and PBO afaik), as we wanted a baseline. the issue is that our baseline is running at 85c.... clearly thermal throttling. our fan curve is fairly aggressive at the end for noise reasons, it will start ramping up at 60 and max out at 80 for case fans, and it will start ramping up at 50 and max out at 75 for CPU fans.

I have 0 experience overclocking 3000-5000 series CPUs, as my system runs a 2700. I would like to know what we can do to lower temps while maintaining a high multicore and singlecore boost without much work, as I help my friend via video call and he's not experienced with computers at all, though I am willing to put in more work into the OC if needed for noise reasons.

I am guessing some undervolting and some ram OC is probably what we need, where should I start? (consider I have never OCed on rzn 3000-5000, got 0 idea lol)

Edit: for completeness sake here are the rest of the specs

3080ti zotac amp holoblack (yes I know this is incredibly overpriced)

Seasonic FOCUS PX-850

Ram part number F4-3600C18D-64GTZR (gskill tridentz) idk what chips are in these, probably B-die.

Edited by Scott103 - 29 Sep 2021 at 1:07am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 4:20am
I don't know if you'll find anyone here that can contribute much ATM. Generally, for gaming, we here usually agree that the CPUs are pretty far ahead of the curve at stock, and we don't like the heat that comes with overclocking. It's common we get 5+ years from a system.

Just a year, year and a half ago, guys were busting it to get to 5GHz. Now the top procs can turbo there and up to 5.3. Most of our members have no need to run hot all the time for a productivity boost because we're not too multi-core oriented here.

Are you aware AMD's website has over-clocking instructions for their CPUs? It may be a place to find an idea or two at least.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:44pm
I haven't done a lot with PBO, but I'll give this concern a shot.

Foremost, 85ºC is on the hotter side but isn't bad. You won't see absolute caps or aggressive throttling until ~95ºC as safe CPU thermal limits are typically 100ºC.

Next, you need to realize it is a legit OCing feature/tool and will push everything -- including every core, and the 5950X has a lot of them for a consumer CPU -- to the utmost safe limits. Those limits are power, thermal, and stability. PBO won't stop pushing until a CPU core reaches at least one of those restrictors. Which one will vary by system, of course.

You may be able to find a better balance by manually setting some of the specific PBO limits. I haven't done extensive testing or the like to make detailed suggestions. I will give a summary of my experience.

Default/stock OC/boost my SFF rig with 5600X cooled by an NH-U9S maxes out in the low to mid 70s C. If the graphics card is also active, that value ramps up another ~10ºC. When enabling PBO (auto limits), the under load CPU almost immediately jumps to ~96ºC -- obviously, the thermal wall. The CPU does hold ~4.8GHz all cores (for the most part) though. :) Indeed, I don't normally run the system that way. FYI: The ambient temp averages ~24ºC.

TLDR: Those results seem expectable and not alarming. However, you can always try some tweaking to reach more of a sweet spot.

On the other hand, I don't disagree with...
Originally posted by Cretae

we here usually agree that the CPUs are pretty far ahead of the curve at stock

Edited by MrCheetah - 30 Sep 2021 at 2:47pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
 Post Reply Post Reply