FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hopeful soon-to-be customer -- first-time build

Post Date: 2019-08-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chadster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chadster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hopeful soon-to-be customer -- first-time build
    Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 1:45pm
Hi, all! I've been shopping around for a new computer for quite some time, and I haven't owned a desktop in nearly a decade. I've been comparing all the major "boutique" builders, and from the reviews I've read of both build quality and customer service, I'm leaning heavily toward DS -- assuming I can survive the projected wait of 15-20 days plus shipping time (thanks to all the back-to-school folks like me! )

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any stretch; most of my gaming consists of things like the "Fallout" series, though I might try my hand at games like "FarCry 5" or "The Division 2". I do take my flight-simming pretty seriously, though, and my tired old laptop just can't cut it anymore in terms of frame rates and smoothness with higher-end scenery, and especially with the potential of a fancy new sim from Microsoft next year, I'm also trying to look ahead. As noted above, I also use ArcGIS for school and work, and I use things like Office nearly every day.

I usually try to get 5 years of use out of my system. I know saying that might seem a bit counter to having chosen the 9600K, but after a lot of discussion with fellow simmers, I'm not really sure the extra cores of the 9700K are going to do me a lot of good, so I was just trying to balance price and performance.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

---

Budget:
~$2000 (based on the current $200 discount -- which I hope is still good for at least another 10 days!)

Expectations:
Solid gaming performance at 1080p on a 27" monitor

Usage:
Gaming (especially flight simming), GIS, college work

Special Needs:
Keyboard, mouse, and monitor not needed

Saved Ticket #: 2534789

Specifications:

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K (4.6 GHz Turbo) (6-Core) 3.7 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (microATX) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 3:47pm
Welcome Chadster,

I am not one of the configuration gurus but I can tell you that for Storage Set 1 you definitely want the Samsung 970 Pro or Evo.  It is not a SATA drive. It uses the Pcie interface which is much faster (noticeably) than SATA. All else looks good IMO.

Enjoy. Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 17 Aug 2019 at 3:48pm
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 4:32pm
Welcome to the forum Chadster!   You have come to the right place...DS will build you a great rig!   I have bought 4 DS rigs since 2011 and they all report for duty and still impress...lol.   They will properly stress test your build before shipping out it to you, so try to be patient...lol.

Important suggestion by Hose to change Drive1 to a Samsung M.2 NVME SSD....NVME drives use the faster PCIE bus and are 5x faster than SATA III M.2 drives.   Your mobo will have 2 slots for M.2 SSD drives.

A couple of optional thoughts I would contribute here.

You are building in a full ATX sized Lynx case, but you have selected a Micro-ATX motherboard which has reduced features compared to a full sized board... so I suggest you should consider a change to Asus ROG Strix (-$5) or MSI Pro Carbon (has on-board WiFi +$47).

16 GB RAM is plenty for gaming....however, I am very familiar with ESRI ArcGIS, and moving up to 32 GB RAM (+$118 for DS ram or +$129 for the better Corsair Vengeance ram) now when RAM is quite inexpensive, or later on added in by you easily...it would be a useful idea for that strong mapping application.

Good build choices for this budget.   The i5-9600K 6 core CPU & RTX 2070 Super should get the job done.   You do have sufficient Corsair CPU cooling selected to go ahead and get the Stage 2 Overclock (+$99) to get the rest of the Intel designed K Class processor performance.   Should perform very well for you Overclocked either way.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:20am
Agree 100% with my friends. The benefits from an NVMe primary drive are not overstated. The RAM upgrade is currently over $100 cheaper than it was just 4 months ago. (RAM trades on the market like a commodity, and it's plentiful right now.) I'd suggest the ROG Strix to give you room in the budget for one or more of the other upgrades, but the MSI Pro Carbon is a very nice board.

If all you can get right now is the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO, (the PRO is cheaper here than the EVO, and it's top of the line!) don't fret about the smaller drive, you can add more storage when you need it very easily. Main thing is 512 GB will be plenty for the OS, main apps, maintenance type apps, and quite a few games to get you well on your way. Everything running at hyper-speed!

You did a very good job with your picks.
 Post Reply Post Reply