FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hot Hardware DSO i7 Review

Post Date: 2009-04-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hot Hardware DSO i7 Review
    Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 7:37pm
Check out this review from the folks at Hot Hardware!

Dave Ouch
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 7:40pm
Thanks for the post!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 9:31pm
why are they comparing a veloci micro with a dual 4850 to ds's single 285 system in games at high res?

Though the Digital Storm system can't quite keep pace with the dual Radeon cards in the Velocity Micro system

DS system has a 1 x 285

veloci system has 2 x 4850

of course not idiot, because you are comparing a dual card to a single card performance,

what did they expect, if the idiots had taken out the dual 4850 and stock it in to DS system and then put the single 285 in the veloci mircro system, then the results would have been reversed and it would be the DS system that was better.

I mean these guys must be from under a rock to not know that at 1900 x 1200 dual cards like 4850 and 4870 will always do better then single 285 or 280, the same way that a dual 285 or a dual 275 or dual 260+ will beat a single 4890 or 4870, this is just a stupid comparison.

thats like comparing a dual core to a single core in common tasks. of course the dual core is gonna win everytime, this is just so stupid.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Apr 2009 at 9:33pm
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 9:56pm
OUTSTANDING!!!!

I don't know anything about that website reviewer, but the review itself is very professional and well laid out.  They were very detailed and vendor neutral.  By that, I mean they didn't seem to be out to either give undeserved praise or scathing downgrading of the system.

Bravo, Digital Storm!Ermm
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

why are they comparing a veloci micro with a dual 4850 to ds's single 285 system in games at high res?

Though the Digital Storm system can't quite keep pace with the dual Radeon cards in the Velocity Micro system

DS system has a 1 x 285

veloci system has 2 x 4850

of course not idiot, because you are comparing a dual card to a single card performance,

what did they expect, if the idiots had taken out the dual 4850 and stock it in to DS system and then put the single 285 in the veloci mircro system, then the results would have been reversed and it would be the DS system that was better.

I mean these guys must be from under a rock to not know that at 1900 x 1200 dual cards like 4850 and 4870 will always do better then single 285 or 280, the same way that a dual 285 or a dual 275 or dual 260+ will beat a single 4890 or 4870, this is just a stupid comparison.

thats like comparing a dual core to a single core in common tasks. of course the dual core is gonna win everytime, this is just so stupid.

Good point, but the intelligent reader will see how close the single card system came to matching the dual card system.  Not sure what the average reader will think.Broken%20Heart
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 6:15am
I like to see how a particular peice of hardware compares, I find it interesting knowing how different video card combinations compare and what I can expect. In a video card review, I expect a comparison to both similar and cards a step up and a step down, the same for a computer system review, which I think we got from hot hardware, they did a nice job analyzing the system and gave it an excellent review.

DST I think you are far too critical, computer reviews are not rocket science, it is a guy or girl playing with a system and comparing the feel and response of the system to other systems they have used and running some benchmarks for a few hard numbers and then telling you their opinions.

In this case I think this is a solid review which gives DSO a gold star and gives people that may read it a solid feel for just how good a new DSO system will be.

I think that is a great thing.

Dave Ouch
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 2:30pm
Hey if you want to give credit to a review that compares apples and oranges go ahead, I like reviews with creditability and not idiots.

I'm not interested in being told that a veloci system is better then a DS system because the veloci has a dual card, that is not a review that is misinformation, since its not the system that is better its the dual cards.

sure my motorcycle GSXR with a 1000cc engine is better then your GSXR with a 750cc.

now if you want to call that a review go ahead, if you want to think my bike is better then yours then go ahead, but its really stupid, of course my bike is faster DA, I got the bigger engine.

so if I stick a dual GTX 275 in my old dell does that mean its better then both the DS system and veloci micro?

give me a break

You have to have some credibility and know what you are talking about before I listen to anything you have to say and if you are stupid enough to compare apple and oranges then that tells me you have no common sense thus neither does your review.

and by you I don't mean you KB, I'm referring to the idiots that wrote the review who don't even know that 2 cards are better then one, so its not the veloci micro that is better but the dual cards, which put in any box will do better.

let me put it this way, using the same stupid pattern I can easily say:

Though the Digital Storm system can't quite keep pace with the dual Radeon cards in MY 2 year old Dell system

when in reality its not DS system that can't keep up with anything, its the single card vs the dual card, and of course a single 285 can't keep up with a dual 4850 at high resolutions, so its a matter of single card vs dual card and not a matter of DS system vs veloci system, misleading.

hey everybody that was a great review of a DS system and my old dell system wasn't it?

I guess at the end if I say the DS system was great that makes my statement OK.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Apr 2009 at 2:35pm
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 3:59pm
It is only misleading if you believe people are idiots. Most people I know would look at that review and realize that the graphics cards were different and look at the relative performance and say:

Look at that the DSO system with a lesser graphics solution is obviously smoking, look how it compared.

Maybe I give people too much credit, but those were my first thoughts, that even with a disparity in cards the DSO system was smoking fast proving that appropriately selected and tuned hardware is much more important than just throwing 5 grand at a problem and hoping it will go away.

Again, I know our opinions are diametrically opposed, I know you consider anyone who disagrees with you a lesser intellect, but be that as it may, I have to say I enjoyed the review and found useful information there in, thus, I shared it.

Regards,

Dave Ouch

Edited by Kliebor2 - 08 Apr 2009 at 4:01pm
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 5:06pm
take a look at the config section and tell me if you still think most people know the difference.

I don't consider anyone who disagrees with me as a lesser intellect, to be honest with you, I don't even think I'm that smart, I do pride my self on working with what makes the most sense, most times.

From the config section what I have come to find is that most people don't know much and those kinds of details are foreign to them.

I also think on its face, its just foolish to compare apples with oranges, single card with dual card, and then instead of saying single vs dual card, make it sound like its one system vs the other.

At least like you said, if they had said look at how good the single 285 is doing when compared to the dual 4850, then that would have been better, but to most people that quote translates to DS is not as good as veloci micro, which is completely false, and that is what most people will walk away with.

I understand why you shared it and thank you, I feel like I have come across wrong and that is my own fault, I totally understand and appreciate you posting this review, there is nothing wrong with that, its always good to see DS get a good review, I just wish one place did a proper one, by proper people who in the article didn't make DS look:

like its more expensive then others or their systems are expensive.

like DS system is close enough to an alienware so that DS would get 86% rating and the same people gave alienware 83% rating. I'm sorry its more like DS at 90% - 95% and alienware at 65%.

like their system is lesser then veloci mirco

I'm sure if I look at others I can have a longer list, bottom line is this, is there not one creditable site/company out there that can give DS a fair review which it deserves, and show how its clearly a head and neck above the rest?

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Apr 2009 at 5:21pm
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 9:16pm
it might not be a performance only review dst it might be Price/performance

So we have to ask DS about the way they ordered: Did they ask for that exact setup, or did they order strictly on a set price amount?

because if they order on the price amount from each company, and one company uses two graphics cards and the otehr uses 1 then theycould definetly say the ds system "was beaten" , in the price/performance sense.

it just depends on the order and if they bought equally priced PC's to review , i didnt feel like reading the review it might show the prices for the systems in their if so say so

Edited by <8) slunK parade - 08 Apr 2009 at 9:18pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 10:51pm
not at all, its a review of a DS system then only in a gaming section on one game they throw in veloci micro and make that false statement.

they only did it with half life cause that is the only game the dual would beat the 285,in other games the 285 would eat the dual 4850.

if the dual 4850 are better in a couple of games but in most games single 285 will do better then DS system was not beaten and that would be another false statement.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Apr 2009 at 10:53pm
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:33pm
so they dont list both system prices?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 1:36am
yes they listed the price but both systems are not equal.

these guys are comparing apples and oranges, they are dumber then I thought:

so the veloci mirco is $2,399

and the DS system is 3,265.00

as they said themselves $850 less, but lets take a closer look.

OC:

DS: 3.97GH

veloci: 2.93GHz

mobo:

DS: EVGA x58

veloci: Intel "Smackover" DX58SO, no tri sli here.

GPU:

DS: 1 x 285 GTX

veloci: 2 x 4850

CPU Cooling:

DS: v8

veloci: Intel Certified High Performance Heatsink(no wonder it could only get to 2.93 )

Audio:

DS: Razor Barracuda AC1 PCI Sound Card - 7.1 HD Audio

veloci: On-Board Integrated High Definition 7.1 Channel Sound

HDD:

DS: 1.5TG Seagate 7200.11 7200rpm 32MB Cache SATA 300MB/s w/NCQ

veloci: 750GB Hitachi 7200rpm 32MB Cache SATA 300 w/NCQ

Power Supply:

DS: 1K-Watt Corsair HX1000W

veloci: 850-Watt Velocity Micro Power Supply

Warranty and Support:

DS: 3-year parts and labor

veloci: 1-year parts and labor

So lets recap for $850 more you get a much better, OC speed, mobo, GPU, CPU cooler, sound card (razor at that), double the HDD size, a corsair 1000w (vs veloci's own PSU which keep in mind has only a 1 year warranty), its obvious that DS is the best for value here also.

best part of it is that the veloci system is at $2,399, well I went and tried to duplicate this build here at DS, obviously and thank god that we don't have their case and crappy PSU here so I had to substitute the case for tj09 and PSU with a proper brand name PSU like corsair 750w, we also don't have the 750GB HDD here so I had to pick the 1TB drive, the results are :

the veloci mirco is $2,399

the digital storm is $2,298

thats right you get a better case, better PSU(this psu unlike veloci mirco's, comes with 3 year warranty from DS and 5 year warranty from corsair), a 1TB HDD vs the 750GB of veloci micro and last but not least a 3 year warranty on all parts vs the stupid 1 year warranty of veloci micro.

so in short the veloci micro is a piece of crap and not of any value, you can't put a PSU in a system that has only one year warranty and then use the word value in the same sentence.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Apr 2009 at 2:25am
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:18pm
I also share a bit of DST's resentments.  I feel that the system that i have ordered from DS is better then the veloci system and it would be more realistic to customize a system then to do preconfigured systems.

also considering that even the base i7 systems from Alie... i mean that company from outer space... run at a far higher price and much less customization.

but all in all, it was a favorable review for DS so i say lets ignore the petty stuff and remember... DS owns us... we worship the DS (starts to chant.)
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:32pm
Let me tell you that you should not feel like your system is better, you should know for a fact that your system is better, if nothing else at all, the quality of parts you have are much better, you have a better case, better PSU better motherboard, those 3 right there are like a foundation of a great system, just like a foundation of a house, if its no good the house comes crumbling down.

not to mention that you have a 3 year warranty from DS and some of your parts have a longer warranty from their own manufacturers, like if you have a corsair hx PSU, you have a 5 year warranty from corsair on that part. the veloci's own brand is crap and has no such warranty.

DS DS DS
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 12:11am
Starts chanting...

One of Us...One of Us
 Post Reply Post Reply