Post Date: 2009-12-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hothardware reviews DS i5 system.
    Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 4:56pm
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Digital-Storms-Core-i5-System-Reviewed/?page=1

And boy did they pick that thing apart. GPU instability and that whole thing with the PCIe slots.

(which makes me wonder if the said instability was actually caused by one of the cards being starved on bandwidth)

Their rant with the button blocking a the 3rd expansion slot, which unfortunately was also the slot that evga recommends you drop in the 2nd card for sli.

Plus the configuration of the HD in IDE mode, which while relatively harmless did give our very own members difficulty when his ssd was connected in IDE.

I don't know what happened to DS with this one, as far as I can see, unlike the CNet review where the guy was just nitpicking on stupid things, HH had real issues with the rig.
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:22pm
"What that word they say in Swahili? Oops!""

George of Jungle

Edited by Bill the Cat - 16 Dec 2009 at 7:23pm
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
apache664 View Drop Down

Quote apache664 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 7:34pm
Looks like someone got a bit sloppy.

I can see where the issue is with the cards and the button being in the wrong place. Part of the reason I chose the mobo I did was to take advantage of the higher lanes in sli, I wouldn't want mine to be in the wrong lanes. That's a pretty simple fix though, best fix would be to add it into DS's QA/QC inspection sheet and make it a item that has to be visually verified i.e.

SLI (yes)(no)
        If no skip next.
        If yes, are cards in the best lanes for highest performance (yes)(no)

Overall pretty good performance review I thought, it put up some good numbers.

Edited by apache664 - 16 Dec 2009 at 7:35pm
"Go Like Hell"

Cooler Master HAF 932 (Black OPS Edition)
i7 920 2.66GHz OC 3.3GHZ
EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI
16GB DDR3
2x EVGA GTX 560 TI 1GB
Stirek View Drop Down

Quote Stirek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 8:09pm
Here's to hoping the system I ordered doesn't have the same "oops".  Guess it will spend more time on my test benches at work than I had planned once I receive the system.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 8:47pm

In terms of the video card in the wrong slot, that was just an oversight, our techs do know this. We spoke with our testing staff and QA staff to ensure we are looking out for this situation.

Also, there was a bug in our testing software which didn't properly test the video cards which we worked with HotHardware to pin-point and correct. This was located and resolved 1-2 months ago.

We're always improving, and that's what sets Digital Storm apart. We'll be sending a formal response to the review for HotHardware to add on.

Other than that, it was a great system. Blew all of the i7 machines, was 100% stable (overclock) and was at a great price.
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 9:31am
I am glad to hear that DS is working to improve and move forward. Got to love that HAF case.
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 4:31pm

What about the noise issue?

I know how they solved it, I was wondering if
50 to 60 db is an acceptable level for DS when running full tilt?

I plan on a build NOT for gaming, but for speed (Math calculations, mostly integer)  running 100% CPU 24/7

Need lots of cooling but low level noise....rig will be next to home theater in living room. 

The noise issue concerned me more than the oversight on the
motheboard manual/dual card issue....as was stated..."oops"
(btw, EVGA FTW was an excellent choice...great board).

Cheers
Stirek View Drop Down

Quote Stirek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 5:27pm
That's a good question, especially as they indicated that even though DS stated they used the standard chassis fans, they were not those provided by Cooler Master or Asetek
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:17pm
To be honest, the HAF chassis is very 'open' and it can make some noise. But, it's not that loud... under full load it may get loud, but, to be honest if they were REALLY that 'LOUD' then you've would of seen a lot of computer complaints all over our forums stating the system is too loud...

If noise is a concern no doubt, you can definitely notify our staff and we'll help ensure you purchase a quiet configuration that is also within your budget and expectations.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 10:48pm
noise is just stupid, 90% of your noise comes from gpu fans, any case from any builder will be loud if gpus are under load and air cooled.
Pilgrim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pilgrim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 11:35pm
Thanks

makes sense....the noise was the GPU overload
Stirek View Drop Down

Quote Stirek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 9:10am
Originally posted by DST4ME

noise is just stupid, 90% of your noise comes from gpu fans, any case from any builder will be loud if gpus are under load and air cooled.

From what I read in this review, the issue is not with the GPUs as the readings were taken at boot and IDLE.  Did DS by chance, put performance fans in that system but did not note it?  That would explain it.  Others would disagree with you that "noise is just stupid".  You don't think those reviewers already know that?  There's noise, then there's excessive noise. 

Here's Cooler Master's front fan
Front: 200 mm fan x 1 Red LED on / off fan x 1 / 700 RPM / 19 dBA

Here's the one provided in the case in the review
The DFB122512L is listed by part-number over here, where it's specced as pushing 35.12 CFM and running at 25.24dB

Edited by Stirek - 18 Dec 2009 at 9:32am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 9:48am
I thought that DS would have learned from past reviews.. don't ever send an open air case...send a quiet PC, not one with loud fans in push pull on a astek setup.

Wrong PCIe slot, hmm things happen, but that is a pretty big oversight, especially since it is clearly printed on the board, plus in the manual, plus a lot of monitor programs would have shown the card in x4 speed.
The GPU instability has nothing to do with bandwidth, either clocked too high, or too high of temps, GTX 275's are very poor overclockers, without aftermarket cooling.
I to think that a quiet PC is very important, the more powerful the PC the harder/more expensive it is to keep quiet.
Once the PC was re-done by the reviewer, the performance was decent, but then the reviewer showed their ignorance.. posting illegal scores of vantage. ect.. just brain dead stuff.. the whole article was a mess in my opinion.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Stirek

Originally posted by DST4ME

From what I read in this review, the issue is not with the GPUs as the readings were taken at boot and IDLE.  Did DS by chance, put performance fans in that system but did not note it?  That would explain it.  Others would disagree with you that "noise is just stupid".  You don't think those reviewers already know that?  There's noise, then there's excessive noise.  Here's Cooler Master's front fanFront: 200 mm fan x 1 Red LED on / off fan x 1 / 700 RPM / 19 dBAHere's the one provided in the case in the review<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;">The DFB122512L is </span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;">listed</span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;"> by part-number over here, where it's specced as pushing 35.12 CFM and running at 25.24dB</span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;"></span></span>

if the fans where set to 80% or so instead of auto then they would have noise while idle and while under load.

and if you read the stupid review you would know that these idiots don't know sh*t, which is why they are comparing 2 x 275 to 2 x 5870 and then saying that AW that has the 5870 is doing better in games in charts. On top of that there is the stuff justin pointed out, and I agree this article is bs.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Dec 2009 at 3:29pm
Stirek View Drop Down

Quote Stirek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 5:44pm
I ignored the benchmarks...comparing older gen vidcards to new generation is not a good comparison.  However, that doesn't negate the rest of the review on the hardware configuration, nonstock fans, etc.

It's nice to see DS's response in the other thread and know they have instituted corrections.

Edited to add

Stage 7: (QA Passed)
Your order has successfully passed our stringent quality assurance process. Everything from top to bottom on your purchase has been verified by an experienced Digital Storm technician.

Once received, I'll set it up at on my benches at work.

Edited by Stirek - 18 Dec 2009 at 5:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply