FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I deal with male chauvinist gamers?

Post Date: 2018-09-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
thegamer27 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote thegamer27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How do I deal with male chauvinist gamers?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 12:41am
I’m a gamer and have been playing games since I was a kid. I’m no pro by any means, but I genuinely enjoy the whole experience. The camaraderie with other gamers, exploring virtual worlds, and just investing time and effort into certain games. However, what’s really ruining things for me is how some gamers can be real jerks online. They say derogatory comments like “women from USA are dumb and over privileged” or “women can’t really play games good enough”.

I’ve been gaming for YEARS and I know that these comments shouldn’t bother me, but coming from someone who genuinely enjoys playing and appreciates the hard work that game developers put into their product, it really does ruin the experience for me in many ways. How do I deal with this? I know I can block them and trash talking is part of the “fun”, but some of these comments are way below the belt to be considered jokes.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:34am
What works for me, because I don't want to listen to other's opinions and "trash talk" while I'm playing, is to turn off chat.

If "trash talking" is part of your game, and you dislike it, then it's up to you how you handle it. If it were me, as I said, I take responsibility for me and move "me" out of the way.

But ultimately, it is up to you.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:38am
Cowards, weak minded and just angry people use the anonymity of the internet to lash out at others. In a face to face, these same people would never say a thing.

Just consider the source, laugh it off for what they are and ignore them.    Responding to them and letting their comments get to you is what feeds it.    

Ignoring them with no response usually shuts them down.    

Quote thegamer27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Snaike

What works for me, because I don't want to listen to other's opinions and "trash talk" while I'm playing, is to turn off chat.

If "trash talking" is part of your game, and you dislike it, then it's up to you how you handle it. If it were me, as I said, I take responsibility for me and move "me" out of the way.

I do mute chat occasionally, though I prefer voice chat when playing games. The comments just get too offensive and abusive at times.

Quote thegamer27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Cowards, weak minded and just angry people use the anonymity of the internet to lash out at others. In a face to face, these same people would never say a thing.

Just consider the source, laugh it off for what they are and ignore them.    Responding to them and letting their comments get to you is what feeds it.    

Ignoring them with no response usually shuts them down.    

True, true. I just wish this type of mindset wasn't easier said than done.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:47am
Pay no mind. Bullies love the attention, it provides feedback to their behavior. They are very small minded people. The only thing they have going for them is their self-aggrandizement and your response feeds that. If they are persistent, I block them.
Happy gaming.Strong
Jerrar View Drop Down

Quote Jerrar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:52am
Its stupid kids and trolls wanting to ruin the fun for every one and trying to get under your skin to win. This is the reason I play on mute majority of the time.
Jerrar View Drop Down

Quote Jerrar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 3:25am
See the ultimate goal of these trolls and jerks is to get a reaction out of you. The best way is to turn off chat. Its garbage anyway, unless you are playing with your squad. Its not like the chat is any useful, nobody listens and end up doing what they want.

If you want trash talk to be part of your game then I guess you have to increase your stamina and stomach the extreme below the belt shots. Not many options I am afraid.
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 1:38pm
62 year old Woman gamer here. And yes I go way back.....when I was four and standing on a stool playing pinball with my older brothers. Both my brothers have been dead awhile and both would love gaming with the new games. Any hoo.
I am a VERY competitive person for starters in everything. Had many LAN etc. parties where I was the only chick. Dudes I would beat would cuss and swear and I'd laugh and I'd cuss and swear if they beat me! Lol. What I like the best though is single player because I enjoy competing against myself. Once in awhile I play with others and I turn off chat. Not worth the petty stuff. Us gamer chicks roll with the punches because when your anonymous you can say what ya want. When you play next to someone then you can say what you want and pass gas at um!!!
NerdyGamer18 View Drop Down

Quote NerdyGamer18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:11pm

Honestly, your best bet is to ignore them. It may not be that easy, but never let someone have that much control over you.. especially on the internet.
K00lk4tty View Drop Down

Quote K00lk4tty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 6:57am
Originally posted by NerdyGamer18

Honestly, your best bet is to ignore them. It may not be that easy, but never let someone have that much control over you.. especially on the internet.

Wow! to be a 62 year old female gamer, how open-minded it is. Respect, I would have liked to share this passion with my parents.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE
The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

When you play next to someone then you can say what you want and pass gas at um!!!

This cracked me up real good. LOL
iGomui View Drop Down

Quote iGomui Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 6:31am
i mostly play overwatch and i just hide the chat and play :) 
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by iGomui

i mostly play overwatch and i just hide the chat and play :) 

I play overwatch, too!

Don't listen to them. We need girl gamers. Someone has to heal.

Except for when they try to tank, but that's why we have DVA
Custom PC
i7 7900X
Rampage VI Extreme
64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz
2x nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2
 Post Reply Post Reply