FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How Do I Prepare for My New Rig's Arrival?

Post Date: 2009-11-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
B5GkarNarn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How Do I Prepare for My New Rig's Arrival?
    Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 6:37pm
My new DS rig is scheduled to arrive in 6 days.  I'm a bit nervous, happy, excited, & bewildered. 

What should I do to prepare for the rig's arrival?

Any recommendations for hardware or software to buy?

Note:  I've already taken care of the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 6:50pm
Now its time to pray to the shipping gods

start getting your files and etc that you need to move together, gather all the installers you need for the apps you want to have on the new pc.

make room for it.

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Now its time to pray to the shipping gods

start getting your files and etc that you need to move together, gather all the installers you need for the apps you want to have on the new pc.

make room for it.
LOL!!  Yes, I have to start praying that the FedEx guys are going to handle my DS box very gently.  Hopefully, the FedEx trucks that are carrying my rig won't get into any accidents. Smile

Luckily, I do have all of the CDs for the apps (that originally came on CDs) readily at hand.  I also have a portable external hard drive that I use for backing up my current PC.  In another thread, you posted some instructions for cloning a PC's hard drive.  Am I correct in assuming that I should clone my current PC's hard drive in order to facilitate the copying of files and apps that originally did not come on CDs.  For example, I purchased WinZip directly from them via digital download - so there is no CD.  I would like to transfer WinZip to the new DS rig. 

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:04pm
you can only transfer files from old system to new system, apps and stuff will have to be reinstalled.

the cloning I talk about is so that you can back up a system, in case something happens to that system.

if you clone your os drive from the old system and try to use it to boot to windows it will not work in the new system, you can however connect the clone as HDD2 or 3 or something in the new system, and have the new system read it as none bootable HDD and then trasfer your media/work files from it.

for example, you will have to reinstall winzip in the new system so you need the installer for it.

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 7:53pm

you can only transfer files from old system to new system, apps and stuff will have to be reinstalled.

the cloning I talk about is so that you can back up a system, in case something happens to that system.

if you clone your os drive from the old system and try to use it to boot to windows it will not work in the new system, you can however connect the clone as HDD2 or 3 or something in the new system, and have the new system read it as none bootable HDD and then trasfer your media/work files from it.

for example, you will have to reinstall winzip in the new system so you need the installer for it.
How would I connect my portable external hard drive (which would be the clone) as HDD 3 (because I already have HDD 1 and HDD 2 configured in the new rig)?

I hope that I can find the installer for my WinZip but I'm not sure how to find it in my hard drive.  Would it have a specific 3 letters at the end such as .exe or something similar?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:00pm
it would be exe but if you didn't save the installer then its not gonna be there.

for the external you just connect it to the pc and the pc will set it up for you as HDD3, and let you view the drive

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 1:54pm

it would be exe but if you didn't save the installer then its not gonna be there.

for the external you just connect it to the pc and the pc will set it up for you as HDD3, and let you view the drive
I found the setup file for WinZip and it also ends in ".exe".  So how would I transfer this file over to the new DS rig in order to install WinZip?

Once I've connected my USB portable external hard drive to the new DS rig, what do I have to do in order to copy/transfer my files?
Please note that my files consist of emails, Address Book in Outlook Express, Contacts in Outlook (I use Outlook & my wife uses Outlook Express), MS Word documents, MS Excel documents, photos, and a few MP3 files?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 3:52pm
as far as your outlook stuff I'm not sure.

but word documents, exel documents, pics and mp3s you just drag and drop between drives.

you need to drag and drop the winzip installer also and then run it in the new pc, However, make sure you are not mistaking the exe file that runs winzip on the old pc with the exe file that is the installer,they are 2 different things.
Musicmonkman View Drop Down

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 1:33pm
For the Outlook files - go to FILE then IMPORT/EXPORT.  You can export your existing contacts into an excel doc and then import them into Outlook on the new rig.  For existing emails that you want to bring over into the Outlook running on the new rig, you can copy them all into a folder on your USB(Drag/drop), and then do the same into the appropriate Outlook folders on the new rig.

On the shipping - I just recently received my DS rig (Hailstorm chassis, so I'm not sure the packaging will be the same), and it was going cross country.  When the box arrived it was a bit beat up, BUT the internal packaging DS uses is rather ingenious - the rig is kind of in a second box that's floating on a plastic stretcher. Nothing is indestructable, but minearrived with only minimal issues.

GOOD LUCK!

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Musicmonkman

For the Outlook files - go to FILE then IMPORT/EXPORT.  You can export your existing contacts into an excel doc and then import them into Outlook on the new rig.  For existing emails that you want to bring over into the Outlook running on the new rig, you can copy them all into a folder on your USB(Drag/drop), and then do the same into the appropriate Outlook folders on the new rig.

On the shipping - I just recently received my DS rig (Hailstorm chassis, so I'm not sure the packaging will be the same), and it was going cross country.  When the box arrived it was a bit beat up, BUT the internal packaging DS uses is rather ingenious - the rig is kind of in a second box that's floating on a plastic stretcher. Nothing is indestructable, but minearrived with only minimal issues.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the help with Outlook, Musicmonkman!  My rig is also traveling cross-country so I'm glad to read that the rig is in something similar to a second box that's floating on a plastic stretcher. 

Please describe the mimimal issues that your rig had when it arrived.
Musicmonkman View Drop Down

Quote Musicmonkman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 7:33am
The front door on the drive bay was damaged, but I think this is something that happenned before the rig was even boxed.  I also had one internal light not working.  DS shipped out replacement parts for both.

I posted pics and a review at:

Post Reply Post Reply