how does one overclock the 8700k

Post Date: 2018-03-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: how does one overclock the 8700k
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 4:32pm
Hey all. After testing everything out on the stock setting, everything seems to be running just fine. I now want to overclock the 8700k to the 4.7GHz level. I've read several ways to do this on various sites but I'm not to sure what I am doing regarding the bios and such. Is there a straightforward guide someone can point me in the direction of to do such? my motherboard is the MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC. Thanks!

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:38am
TBH, I'm a little embarrassed no one has picked you up on this. It seems DST4ME is the only one who felt qualified to advise. You've been around longer than I, so there's no need to tell you who HE is!

I looked around, and found this:

Originally posted by DST4ME

Honestly I'm not aware of a guide but there should be plenty of videos on it. Or we can walk you through here.

have a look here scroll down to How to overclock - CPU after reading 1 and 2 for cpu over clocking, then skip to step 4 (long multiplication)

Follow the guide there with one difference, after you set multiplier and sync all cores, go to cpu core voltage and set it to manual and then change the manual number to something around 1.26 and then follow the rest of the guide for testing and stibility, for temps we use hwmonitor. Make sure ram is set to xmp.

If the pc is not stable after you change multiplier, it is because vcore is too low, you want to stay under 1.3 preferably no higher than 1.4. The lower the vcore the better, temps under load need to be under 80c.

Objective here is to get the highest multiplier with lowest vcore, priority going to low vcore.

So set vcore, then move multiplier 2 clicks at a time (3.7 to 3.9), do quick test, if good (stable / temps) go up 2 more , if it crashes add vcore 2 clicks (from 1.26 to 1.28) move up slow like that.

Now if you want to push your oc go with h115i cooler but keep in mind, 8700k runs at 4.7, 4.6, 4.5, 4.4, 4.4, 4.3 with turbo boost, i don't see ocing it helping your surfing or video watching honestly

Keep in mind that last bit. Only cores involved in gaming are what HWMonitor calls 0 and 1, and mostly 0. (First core.) It already turbos under load to 4.7, so you might be looking for something you don't need. With that said, have fun!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:48am
One of the reasons I don't advise on  overclocking is because, at one time and not sure about now, if you messed up and caused a cpu issue, etc., DS didn't cover it.  They cover overclocking when they do it or you pay for their help  later.   Not sure its still like that, however.

The other reason is , I haven't done it, as easy as its become and aren't sure the exact steps.  Just never interested me for some reason. 

Plenty of info online from what I've heard.  Big%20Smile 
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:54am
Ok not a problem thanks. I'll give it a shot and let yous know how it goes later on in the week.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 1:55pm
Best of luck, Muz!

@ bp: I hope my "embarrassment" wasn't seen as a swipe at anyone. I just hoped someone more knowledgeable than I wouldn't let 3 days go by without at least an IDK! I never considered messing up the CPU as an outcome. Good point, but I don't think that's easy to do if you take baby steps.

What I get for not realizing DST4ME was using the royal WE! (As in "If you want to OC, WE can help you.)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 2:08pm
Cretae... absolutely no issues here. I didn’t read anything into. Your thoughts pretty much matched mine.      I too was hoping someone would chime in and then forgot about the thread.

All the stuff I play with, overclocking just was never on my thing list.   I think I’d have to replace some old brain cells to add overclocking to the gray stuff.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 3:55pm
Also, if something goes wrong and the OP needs clarification we might have no idea what to advise and then.....Oops 
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:55am
Another good point.

Muz, I have confidence you'll get this right, and we await your review of the process. My original i7-930 was oc'd by DS from 2.7 to 3.81 with never an issue in 7.5 years. At 4.6-4.7 on Turbo, plus 6 cores, plus mebbe a billion more transisters, I buy into the "no need to oc" argument. BUT, it's still very cool and exciting to see what you can do.
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:59am
Not a problem. I am off tomorrow so I will tinker around some. Not going to overdo it but the 8700k I heard can get up to 4.7 almost effortlessly. That's what I will aim for. Will report back.
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:36am
I have successfully overclocked this machine to the above mentioned 4.7 GHZ using 1.20 volts. Its actually quite simple and I was able to just use the game mode in msi bios to achieve this. After a few hours of playing the witcher 3 and battlefield 1, temps are steady at around the upper 30-lower 40 degree C. I could play around with this and further push it but i'm satisfied for now. In a few years I may go for the big 5-0 Ghz which I can probably easily achieve. In the end, all is well and the good times will flow.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 6:15am
Outstanding!! Gotta love that V-core.

Congrats!

Edited by Cretae - 15 Mar 2018 at 6:16am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 12:09pm
How to overclock the 8700k.

Step 1.) Have a beefy Noctua cooler, at least an AIO w/ 240mm rad or larger, or custom loop.
Step 2.) Go to Bios
Step 3.) Set V-Core to manual and apply ~1.3v
Step 4.) Sync all CPU cores at 50.

This is the absolute most basic way to describe it.  But honestly, if you don't know how to overclock.  Don't follow my steps.  Go watch some youtube videos.  learn what V-Core is exactly and the difference between manual, adaptive, etc.  How overclocking works when you're running XMP vs when you're not.  And how to probably do stability testing.

Now you won't kill your CPU by applying 1.3v.  And if you type in say 70 for your multiplier, it won't kill your cpu either.  You'll just crash or not even boot.  Really only way you're going to kill your CPU is when you start getting into high voltages.  If you're a beginner.  If you can't get stability at 1.3v, don't go above it until you understand better what you're doing.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
TwoShotTauf View Drop Down

Quote TwoShotTauf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:29am
i would also like some guidance here as to how i can successfully overclock my i7 8700k. im on a asus prime z370-A im terying to succesfully hit 4.8 and be able to successfully stress test it with prim 95 but it always fails voltage anywhere from 1.28-1.35 it either crashes or gets to hot im runniing master cooler z what ever the big brand name out there is and iots push pool with like 4 other fans. my temps either get to hot or it fails the 2nd really harsh test on prime 95. if any ojne has any in puts plz let me know
TST
Tomsal View Drop Down

Quote Tomsal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 5:52pm
Unless you do it just for kicks (I really know someone like that -- he doesn't even game as much as me yet he's obsessed with OCing ) or you are a pro gamer (ie. quite literally winning = $$$$$) I don't see the logical point to OCing these days....so I don't really do it anymore.

I haven't really tried to OC for years....and with a product like the I7 - 8700k...if you primarly just game with it and are not a pro level gamer...really no point to oc'ing it. Its just for bragging rights....nothing else.

So now's the part "ok guy you don't like oc'ing but what's your contribution to the thread then? just to say you don't like it?"....

No. There's a point -- remember OC'ing shortens life expectancy of whatever component you OC....GPU, CPU, MEM..... the very definition is pushing the product beyond stock design levels after all. The more you push the OC the more you (very) likely shave from the items life expectancy. ...and that's the main point.

Edited by Tomsal - 20 Jun 2018 at 5:56pm
TwoShotTauf View Drop Down

Quote TwoShotTauf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:40pm
The issue is I stream twitch aswell and I'm just trying to give myself that extra boost to pick out the steam at high quality.
TST
 Post Reply Post Reply