FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How is this better? HELP?

Post Date: 2016-04-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Axius View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Axius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How is this better? HELP?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:56pm
How is the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance) better than the Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU? How is the 3.0 ghz the ULTIMATE choice for buying the Bolt 3?
I'm confused and just want to buy the absolute best parts that I can get from Digital Storm.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:10pm
first of all those terms are just marketing speak.  a person's "ultimate" choice really depends on their needs.   the I7-5960X is the most expensive and flagship cpu of Haswell-E, which is Intel's current HEDT (high end desk top) product line.   the other two sku's are 6-core cpu's, while the 5960 is an 8-core.  the increase over mainstream 4-core procs doesn't really mean anything to a "gamer".  in fact, the more cores a proc has the more difficult it becomes to over clock it.  those 8 cores are definitely more useful in a productivity/workload usage scenario.  if someone needed a pc built to do heavy multi-tasking work like video editing, rendering and modeling then this proc would be "better" suited for it than a proc with fewer cores.  true "work station" procs are 12+cores.  

that being said, a gamer can take advantage of the throughput offered by the 40 direct pcie lanes to the cpu with both the 5930K and 5960X.   for instance, if you had an sli config you could run 2 vid cards at max speed of x16/x16 = 32 lanes and still have room for (multiple) high speed pcie-based drive storage.  with direct x12 being included with the new windows 10 operating system, there are potential advantages to be seen in future dx12 game titles when it comes to cpu core utilization that would give 6 and 8 core cpu's more appeal to the gaming crowd.  

if someone wanted to build a single vid card gaming pc today, my advice would be to go with a Skylake/Z170 build. 

if you want a 2+vid card system, go with Haswell-E/X99.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply