FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How is this build for VR / Art?

Post Date: 2019-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FlareStar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FlareStar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How is this build for VR / Art?
    Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:42am
Greetings All! I am primarily a gamer who wants to do 3D modeling every now and then. I am also looking to get into VR, but I don't really get motion sick, so refresh rates aren't a big issue for me. I can handle VR on a GTX 670 for example. Would anyone mind letting me know what they think of this build? I will likely dual boot with Manjaro Linux too, maybe Windows 7 as well depending on Windows 10 compatibility. Thank you!

Budget:
$2310

Expectations:
VR Capable

Usage:
VR, Gaming (NMS, Everspace, Cyberpunk, RE2 Remake, maybe Metro Exodus), lite to moderate 3D modeling (Mostly Blender), Art (Corel Painter, Inkscape), programming

Special Needs:
Futureproof for heavy user
I need lots of USB ports. My current PC has 10, but I could probably get by with 8. Will the motherboard I chose suffice?

Saved Ticket #: 2719061

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
HDD Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x Radeon RX 5700 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Digital Storm Twister/Boost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 6:12am
Couple of things. For $218, you can help your performance and get a stronger, better warranted power supply. At the quite low prices for RAM at present, I recommend your opt for 32GB of the Vengeance. It will give you a worthwhile boost in your 3D modeling and artwork for only $129.

The other "must have" IMO is the Corsair 850W power supply with the 10 year warranty they come with for an extra $86. Remember, you will get a $200 discount when you order the rig, and free shipping.

IF your budget is so tight those two make you hesitate, you COULD pay for most of it with a step back to a 512GB Samsung 970 PRO, and simply add more SSD storage at lower pricing later when needed. That would save $139.

As for the rest of your build, I think it is pretty well designed to do what you want it to.
FlareStar View Drop Down

Quote FlareStar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 8:30am
Thank you so much! I will follow your suggestion. I'm also getting slightly smaller HDDs. Eventually I plan to upgrade the RX 5700, but I want to wait and see what happens with the ray-tracing situation.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:57am
At most tasks, the 5700 compares very well with the 2060 SUPER, but you should keep in mind that the RTX line outperforms significantly in multi-rendering. That's a feature you may be very interested in for your 3D modeling going forward. At this stage in the video card cycle, you may be employing a reasonable strategy to see what the next gen can do for you. Welcome to our forum, FlareStar. Happy trails!
 Post Reply Post Reply