Post Date: 2008-04-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: how often do you clean?
    Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 10:00am

im not sure how well the other cases do with dust, but i have a LITE case which is practically open air, (it might as well be) and i find enough dust to want to blow it out pretty frequently (every 3 weekish)

Ive been cleaning it by just cracking it open out front and blowing everything out with one of those air dusters

what methods and how often do you clean your rigs?

Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 10:08am
I vacuum my TJ9 about once every six months years.

Edited by Bill the Cat - 16 Apr 2008 at 10:09am
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 10:59am
I clean my Computer every 3 - 4 weeks; my computer is the Stacker and it has those Mesh Holes on the Top, Bottom & Sides; so it accumulates alot of dust; not to mention hair, etc.  I have 2 Golden Retrievers here too; and not the biggest of Living Rooms; so dust accumulates really fast.  Plus ive never been the June Cleaver of the House; so things can build up here; with the movement, dogs, clutter, etc.

What I did was buy a Metro Blo & Vac; that thing is awesome; it blows everything out of my Rig in less than a minute.  I figured if I was going to spend over 4,000 on a Rig putting out 150.00 to keep it clean isnt all that big of a deal.  Besides it comes in handy for cleaning all the vent holes in the TV, and you can use it to blow leaves too if you want; not that I would do that.  My Daughter uses it to vacuum her car; it comes with Micro tools too for blowing out stuff from small spaces.  Personally I think its a great investment. 

In-between that Vacuum cleaning I uses Beauty supply brushes for my Keyboard; they get under the keys great.  No way am I letting this investment get screwed up by things that can be easily cleaned.  I am considering putting some Mesh filtering underneath because I think that's where alot of my dust gets in; Im also considering buying the Side Panel for my Case; that will also help with eliminating Dust; instead of mesh it will have the Acrylic Window.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 11:49am
I hit the heat sinks and mesh intake with compressed air as needed. That usually amounts to once a month. Maybe once or twice a year I use some electronics vacuum attachments to get the harder to reach spots.

My keyboard I turn upside down and shake until a satisfactory amount of food has piled up on the keyboard shelf. LOL
redcut View Drop Down

Quote redcut Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 1:14pm
I just researched the datavac vacuums and they seem nice. Are you happy w the model you bought Mysty?
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 1:22pm
I clean mine usually once a week.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 1:22pm
ok don't shoot me but once a year
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by redcut

I just researched the datavac vacuums and they seem nice. Are you happy w the model you bought Mysty?

Mmmm!  I think I might get this...

http://www.instawares.com/data-vac2-case-1-black-blower-cleaning-supplies-data-vac-filter-metro-data-vac-office-equipment-clea.mevmdv2tca.0.7.htm
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 3:43pm
I got ya'll beat.  I have the Ultra (cm stacker 830) case and dual loop watercooling.

EVery month I polish my case and what not and every 3 months I am draining both lines, replacing the tubes, soaking the barbs in solvents, and flushiing the blocks with vinegar and distilled water.

Do I have to do this?  Nope.  Why do I do it?  Becuase it gives me time to upgrade parts that need upgrades, and because I am anal as hell.
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 3:45pm
Ive never opened the case to my dell 8400 in the 5 years ive had it, I suppose its pretty dusty in there...maybe thats why most the fans stopped working...oh well..no sense in cleaning it now..
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 12:58am
LOL@Sunfighter! Mebbe you should invest in a DSO rig soon... before your last fan dies heheheLOL

I'm hardly a clean freak, but I always make sure there is no dust buildup between the fins of any heatsink radiators. I also make sure my fans haven't collected too much dust. Basically, I used the canned air to blow out anyplace that can collect dust and form heat problems. (It also gives me an excuse to look at all the parts of my computer because I'm a geek that way... shhhhh!)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 7:34am
hey, im trying, ive been trying for several months! anytime i get the computer fund close to what i want to get, something bad happens either to my face or my car..and i have to spend a grand to fix it..lol. And of course that money comes straight from the luxury that is the computer fund.

Ive got like 600 bucks to go now, and im adding about 200-250 a week to it..so *soon*....im trying to stay quite about it though, i dont want my car to find out and decide to explode or something.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
Gary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:34am
Kelly, like you really need to upgrade,lol !!!!  That thing has more parts in it than my car does. I can understand your thinking though,you can never have enough power !!!Smile
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Gary

Kelly, like you really need to upgrade,lol !!!!  That thing has more parts in it than my car does. I can understand your thinking though,you can never have enough power !!!Smile

Well I am making the move to 790 and ddr3 soon, and I may go for RT200 based GPU's when they come out (I am totally skipping this current 9xxx crap cards)...  And I have a friend who is making ALL copper barbs, so depending on the final cost of those, I may switch to that.
Also, I am looking at getting http://www.mountainmods.com/images/images_big/ASCENSIONBWO.jpg for my new case, but that's not for a few months...
Gary View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 12:30pm
Thats a sweet case !!!  I would never want to be in your profession.I would owe the company more than i would ever make,lol !!!
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by redcut

I got the mid-range one; the one that was around 150.00 or a little higher and I love it.  I use it for all electronics; if you think about how much those stupid cans of air cost; this is well worth it.  Plus with an investment like these rigs spending 150.00 is actually a great investment to keep your rig completely dust free; and its pretty powerful too. 

I blew out a ton of dust from the back slots of my TV; and you know how that is you cant ever even get in their; plus I use it on my Kids Macs, Xbox and all other electronics in the house.  I use it to blow hair out from under and behind the refrigerator.  I mentioned I have golden Retrievers and if you know that breed you will know the hair is always everywhere and I dont care how often you vacuum;  and the hair buildup under my last refrigerator is what they said really wears on appliance's failing faster than normal.  So now I use it everywhee.  Also like I said my daughter uses it to vacuum her car and it can be used to blow leaves.  So it was well worth the money.  Especially when you spend 5+ on a can of air; I refuse to buy air. LOL

Chris(mysty)
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 1:02pm
For the budget conscious, do the same with any vacuum for $8. I've been using a set of these for years to good effect inside of my systems. Compressed air is just easier for a "quicky".
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 2:24pm
bah who needs to spend 8 dollars when i have a straw and some tape.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 3:35pm

I really have nothing to add except that SunfighterLC, your signature is the best!  Clap

Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 4:00pm
Hey...i got a BSOD yesterday for like the first time ever with this computer, and the one fan kicked up to 100% and made the loudest noise ive ever heard as i tried to turn off the computer....... as an added bonus a few seconds later i was greeted with the lovely feeling of not being able to breathe as the dust from inside the computer...came outside the computer thanks to the fan going full blast....

I guess i can say now that the computer has been cleaned though....but it was a forced cleaning that i didnt agree upon
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 5:36pm
LOL; I think the Higher End or Better Technology Parts tend to be more sensitive to Dust, heat, etc.  Just to be safe I added that Corsair Fan on my Memory as well.  I mean with air cooling you can never be too careful; I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 7:42pm
Hey now, i got all curious as to what the temps could be with my computer considering i have only 1 fan, so I downloaded some stuff =). My GPU is at 77C idle..hahaha....

Im suprised this thing still runs....

I guess i should update my sig too......CPU-z Says i got a P4 550 at 3.39Ghz, and some asskicking 1GB 266Mhz ram...this thing is a beast.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 11:40am
What kind of Ram you got Sunfighter; I got some old 1g sticks of kingston memory laying around here somewhere; not really sure where; let me know the exact specs of your memory.  You can have them if you can use them and I can find them.

Edited by Mysty - 20 Apr 2008 at 11:40am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2008 at 12:26pm
eh, i dont really need any ram really, im gonna get a DS within the next 3 weeks *crosses fingers* baring anything else to cause a drain of the computer fund im building up.

This old computer will be regulated to bill paying and word processing. =) doubtful ill be needing extra ram for that. Thanks though.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
 Post Reply Post Reply