How to reinstall Windows w/DS-supplied thumb drive

Post Date: 2020-01-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How to reinstall Windows w/DS-supplied thumb drive
    Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:19pm
I am about to swap out the defective SSD boot drive in my system with a new one supplied under warranty by DS and will obviously need to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. I know I could call DS tech support about the procedure but I may not have to waste their time if someone here could let me know how to use the thumb drive provided with my PC to install the licensed copy of Windows presumably contained on it. I am not sure how it will interact with the new boot drive or what the protocol is and would appreciate guidance. I am assuming also that the new SSD will not contain a Windows installation already. Many thanks, as always.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:27pm
I very much doubt DS will send you a drive with an OS on it. For the thumbdrive installation I'd start by checking out this answer/guide directly from Microsoft Answers. It walks through the process step by step. Since you are dealing with replacing a defective drive rather than reusing an old drive and putting Windows on a new drive you can ignore the parts about the second drive.

Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:35pm
Thank you! Do you think I will need to find and install any software/firmware for the SSD?
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:41pm
I would check for a firmware upgrade for the SSD yes. Without knowing the specifics it's hard to say about software, but a lot of companies anymore do have a SSD program that will let you upgrade the firmware and get other information directly from the program. In my case I have a Samsung and that's done via "Samsung Magician" though I know Intel also has their own program as well. If it's a DS-branded (or generic) drive you'll have to refer to DS about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply