FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hybrid Gaming/Workstation Build Advice

Post Date: 2022-02-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AwkwardAndNerdy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AwkwardAndNerdy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hybrid Gaming/Workstation Build Advice
    Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 6:26am

Hello all!

I am hoping for some advice on a build that I am hoping to buy in the very near future. I'd appreciate any advice you all can provide!

Application:

I know that as technology progresses, the divide between Gaming Rig and Workstation is ever-increasing. Unfortunately, I can only justify having 1 machine for the time being, so I am hoping to build a hybrid Gaming and CAD/CAE Workstation machine. For the first few years, it'll probably be used 60:40 Gaming:CAE, but then transition to predominantly a gaming machine after I get a dedicated workstation.

Budget:

I am targeting $5,000, but willing to exceed this target by up to $500 for a substantially better and/or more future-proofed machine

Build:

Case: Velox or Lumos? I keep going back and forth

Processor: i9-12900K or Ryzen 9 5950X or i9-10980XE

MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero or ASUS ROG Strix or ASUS Prime (depending on Processor)

System Memory 32GB FURY Beast or HyperX Fury, depending on MoBo

PSU: 850W DS Performance Series

Storage Set 1: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe

Storage Set 2: N/A (utilize SSDs from current machine)

Storage Set 3: N/A (utilize SSDs from current machine)

Raid: N/A

Intenet/Network: Integrated MoBo

Graphics: RTX 3080

Sound Card: Integrated MoBo

Add On Card: N/A

Extreme Cooling: HydroLux PRO (CPU Only)

HydroxLux Tubing Style: Flexible

HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear?

Cable Management: Exotic White? (Color TBD)

Software Control: N/A

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED

Chassis Fans: RGB Fans if budget allows

CPU Boost: Stage 2 for Intel, N/A for AMD

Graphics Boost: N/A

OS Boost: Yes

I know that many people feel the i9-12900 is overkill for gaming, but with the CAE workload as well as my desire to future-proof, I think it would be beneficial. Maybe? I also read an article on Tom's Hardware suggesting that the i9-12900 was currently the best all-around performer, which is promising, but I'm certainly a bit skeptical. Feedback here would be appreciated. I also know that DDR5 is more expensive and currently under performs, but as I mentioned, I'm willing to pay a bit more for future-proofing.

I'm currently leaning towards the i9-12900 build, then the Ryzen9 build, then the i9-10980XE, but I could be fairly easily swayed.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Edited by AwkwardAndNerdy - 24 Feb 2022 at 6:35am
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 11:28am
When deciding between the Velox and Lumos, keep in mind that the Lumos has a window on the left side of the case, and the Velox has a window on the right side. Depending on how your room is laid out, that may help you decide.

Also, the motherboard on the Velox is mounted upside down, so logos on video cards will be upside down.

Personally, I have the Velox, and I really love it.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 1:36pm
The Velox has incredible airflow. The case is totally mesh in front, on top, and in back. The upside motherboard allows my EVGA FTW3 ULTRA RTX 3080's beautiful full card length LED display to shine beautifully compared to just looking at the metal backplate if the MB was right side up.

The Velox black interior coating along with the RGB lights on the case and AIO radiator fans glow and glimmer behind the lightly smoked glass sides.

I have my computer on my left side so I can stop and stare at the pretty innards and colorful lights and be mesmerized in minutes.

My Velox case is always cool to the touch unless I am running some AAA game on ULTRA settings and then the heat dissipates quickly via the fans and mesh openings. Never have any heat issues even when running all CPU cores 100% in a benchmark or having the RTX3080 run at 100% cranking out superb graphics.

It is a great case but be aware it is heavy. The shipping weight was 65 pounds as I recall. It reminds me of the equipment we had in our Boeing computer server center as regards build quality.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
AwkwardAndNerdy View Drop Down

Quote AwkwardAndNerdy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 2:23pm
Thank you both for the feedback! You certainly make compelling cases for the Velox (no pun intended Wink). I'll probably go in that direction.

Do you have any advice about the processor? Is the i9-12900K as versatile as they say? Or should I look to AMD for my hybrid application?

Given my desire to future-proof, is DDR5 worth the extra cost, or do you expect DDR4 to be sufficient for many years (>10) to come?

Edited by AwkwardAndNerdy - 24 Feb 2022 at 2:25pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 3:33pm
At the time I bought my AMD 5900X system the new i9 chips were not out. Matter of fact they became available at Digital Storm as my system completed its build and was headed my way.

Everything I read is that the new i9 chips are the better way to go and I would have got it instead but mine was on its way already.

I love my AMD 5900X system but as I said I would have chosen the newer i9 chips if I could have. It increases FPS especially on more CPU bound games. But with a good graphics cards like a RTX 3080 for example the difference doesn't seem to make much difference in actual game play.

Is anybody actually getting their systems with DDR5 yet? I knew the memory was delayed and I don't know if it is shipping with a system yet. I am not convinced that it is that big of a deal especially if you want your system now. I don't believe that motherboards can support both so it is a pretty big decision to pick the motherboard that matches your memory and realize that it will be what you live with from now on.

I would have got the i9-12900 instead of my 5900x.

The 5950x doesn't add almost anything in games but does add better performance in hard core graphic applications. I am just referring to the differences between the 5900 & 5950.

I believe the i9-12900 excels over both the 5900 & 5950 in most applications if not all. It does use more power from what I have read and perhaps runs hotter when heavily utilized.

I followed a Forum recommendation and am using a small super fast 500GB 980 PRO for OS & key daily played games. I use a 1 TB 970 EVO Plus for my main game library. There is a school of thought that a smaller basically isolated OS disk or at least Partition is a better way to handle OS in case of any SSD grief and quick virus scan etc. A few folks should chime it one way or the other on OS isolation.

Oh, I got a motherboard that had Bluetooth & Wi-Fi. The Bluetooth is great since I have a Microsoft wireless controller to play my racing simulation games like Forza Horizon 4 on my PC.

Unless you just want an extra beautiful system with the HydroLux I would be tempted to get a no maintenance AIO dual fan radiator CPU cooler. Sure would beat having to add fluid occasionally and discoloring that can occur. But as far as beauty nothing beats the Hydrolux cooler.

Well that is my 2 cents. Hopefully a few folks will give you some ideas especially since you plan to use your system for both CAD & Gaming.

Well over 30 years ago I used to install Computer Aided Design systems for McDonnell Douglas Architectual & Construction Company. This was back with Tektronix monitors and Calcomp plotters using Dec & Prime computers.

I installed a nice system for I.M. Pei the architect in NYC that designed the glass pyramid at the Louve in Paris. Long long time ago. I retired 8 years ago as a Systems Admin from Boeing.

I have been a Digital Storm customer for over 12 years and just upgraded a few months ago. My old system was an i7 920 OCed to 3Ghz with an original Titan GPU. Still works great. The only part that failed in 12 years was a fan. Not bad!

Digital Storm builds solid commercial grade systems!!!!!!!

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 25 Feb 2022 at 9:30am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 12:04am
CPU:

Go 12th gen. Intel.

• Intel chips have higher stock/default Boost frequencies/rates than AMD's offerings. This is beneficial for gaming as well as (apparently) CAD/CAE.

Core i5-12600K & i9-12900K CPU Review for AutoCAD & Revit | Tech3D (YouTube)

Recommended Systems for SOLIDWORKS | Puget Systems

*** For straight-up gaming (i.e., no live streaming, recording, other background/simultaneous tasks), even the Ryzen 5 5600X is plenty.

• Beyond CPU improvements, Intel's newest platform supports faster interconnects. While most associate these improvements to the PCIe expansions slots (e.g., graphics card), a bigger bandwidth from CPU to components, including the chipset, also allows for more super speed USB ports, faster SSD support, etc.

RAM:

Considering the price and delayed availability of DDR5 plus the general lack of performance benefit, I do not see it as worthwhile on a present PC -- perhaps the next gen.

Difference Between DDR4 vs DDR5 for AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit & Autodesk Inventor | Tech3D (YouTube)

DDR5 vs. DDR4 Benchmarks on Intel i9-12900K | Gamers Nexus (YouTube)

The memory benchmarks by GN also show how few tasks (e.g., compression) push against memory bandwidth limits. Most tasks, including gaming, are impacted primarily by overall latency.

Don't waste money chasing RAM speed for gaming on AMD or Intel | PC Gamer

RAM Latency Calculator

Motherboard:

Compare: Prime Z690-P WiFi D4, ROG Strix Z690-A WiFi D4, and ROG Maximus Z690 Hero | Asus

A few notable differences:

• These specific models of the Prime and Strix are DDR4
• More USB, more super-speed USB ports as you step up to Strix then step up to Hero; Hero includes TB 4
• Hero has an additional PCIe 5 x16 expansion slot
• Hero has slightly better onboard audio.

Edited by MrCheetah - 25 Feb 2022 at 5:45am
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 4:03am
MrCheetah appears to be right on all counts. Again.

The 10980XE is a major step backwards compared to either of the more modern chips.

The "OS Boost" is a complete waste of your money. It's a throwback to days long gone when tuning Win might help make a bit more RAM available when the system total was 2GB or less. With 16 GB or more, there's no issue at all.   
Enriquez45 View Drop Down

Quote Enriquez45 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 10:33pm
Workstations tend to outclass gaming PCs, it is safe to say that any decent workstations will perform just as well as a top-notch gaming PC. However, this depends mainly on the GPU. If it features a high-end Quadro or RadeonPro graphics card, then it will keep up with a high-end gaming PC with ease..

Edited by Snaike - 18 Mar 2022 at 4:02pm
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Enriquez45

Workstations tend to outclass gaming PCs, it is safe to say that any decent workstations will perform just as well as a top-notch gaming PC. However, this depends mainly on the GPU. If it features a high-end Quadro or RadeonPro graphics card, then it will keep up with a high-end gaming PC with ease.

In my experience, the RTX gaming cards are always faster at gaming when compared to the workstation cards. For example, this benchmark shows that the 3080 Ti is 14% faster than the Quadro A6000.

RTX 3080 Ti vs Quadro A6000

I haven't been keeping up with the workstation cards, but it looks like that's the fastest one right now. I think?

Anyway, the A6000 is no slouch. However, the 3080 Ti beats it by a decent margin.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 12:00am
Originally posted by JamesAstro

In my experience, the RTX gaming cards are always faster at gaming when compared to the workstation cards. For example, this benchmark shows that the 3080 Ti is 14% faster than the Quadro A6000.

RTX 3080 Ti vs Quadro A6000

I haven't been keeping up with the workstation cards, but it looks like that's the fastest one right now. I think?

Anyway, the A6000 is no slouch. However, the 3080 Ti beats it by a decent margin.

On point. The Quadro and newer professional RTX cards use ECC VRAM, which is slower but far more reliable. To further ensure reliability (and consistency), the VRAM and GPU of those cards is practically capped at the advertised speeds. In contrast, the GeForce cards can typically boost/OC a few to several hundred MHz above the promised numbers. However, this can introduce artifacts and other errors, which are normally unnoticed in gaming.
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Menizzi View Drop Down

Quote Menizzi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 5:42pm
I was sad when i looked at the 5950x Vs the old 10980 XE on this benchmark

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ec9ef1_202538e29807401997a2221eac5acc9b~mv2.png/v1/fill/w_912,h_716,al_c,q_95/ec9ef1_202538e29807401997a2221eac5acc9b~mv2.webp
Well if you added a twin turbocharged doofus doll to the second from last cheese cracker - it might just work...
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Menizzi

I was sad when i looked at the 5950x Vs the old 10980 XE on this benchmark

Why's that? The 5950X is only a year newer, has two less cores, and about the same max boost clock.

Additionally, they were not tested on the same platform (i.e. OS). I am not aware for which that is more beneficial. Nonetheless, not a great practice.
Menizzi View Drop Down

Quote Menizzi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 1:24pm
That some thing from intel could be on 14nm and more or less be on the same page as something from amd. Yes it has 2 less cores but i was expecting something way more.
Well if you added a twin turbocharged doofus doll to the second from last cheese cracker - it might just work...
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Menizzi

That some thing from intel could be on 14nm and more or less be on the same page as something from amd. Yes it has 2 less cores but i was expecting something way more.

Ah. The manufacturing process in itself does not equate to performance. Instead, miniaturization reduces power consumption, heat generation, and overall size. These improvements can allow more cores on the same size die and higher clock frequencies.

In other words:
Originally posted by How-To Geek

Since smaller transistors are more power-efficient, they can do more calculations without getting too hot, which is usually the limiting factor for CPU performance. It also allows for smaller die sizes, which reduces costs and can increase density at the same sizes, and this means more cores per chip.
[...]
Performance doesn’t scale exactly with the transistor size, and at such small scales, these numbers aren’t as precise anymore. The way each semiconductor foundry measures can vary from one to another, so it’s best to take them more as marketing terms used to segment products rather than exact measurements of power or size. For example, Intel’s upcoming 10nm node is expected to compete with TSMC’s 7nm node, despite the numbers not matching up.

What Do “7nm” and “10nm” Mean for CPUs, and Why Do They Matter? | How-To Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply