FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hydrolux Leaking

Post Date: 2018-02-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shyvana View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shyvana Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hydrolux Leaking
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:56pm
I have a Bolt X with hardline tubing. It leaked the first time I got it and sent it back to get it fixed. It’s leaking again in around the same area and it’s driving me crazy. I live on the East Coast so I figured I might as well try to learn how to fix these things now cause sending it back to California to get it fixed is too much. I messeged support, but want to see some comments here for good measure.

I’m not sure if this is related, but both times before I noticed the leak I heard a loud bang sound coming from the side of the room with the computer. Also, am I not supposed to put my PC on the same table as the rest of my set up?

Here are some pictures.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:07am
I can’t tell by the pics where the leak is, but if it’s a fitting then the fix should be relatively easy. If it’s a crack then a swap is needed. Hardline does make the work harder. Hardline looks great but has its disadvantages.    I’d consider swapping to flex hoses.

You can put the rig anywhere. I just suggest keeping it off the floor to keep dust pickup down.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:21am
+1

Can't add to the above. bprat22 has you covered.
The pics are too close to the leak and there are what appear to be cracks but could be the view. Is that the gpu?
The loud noise could be the acrylic cracking. Hope not. Sad

You can put the pc wherever you want.  Just give it room to breathe and not get choked up with dust/dirt. Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 13 Feb 2018 at 6:01am
Shyvana View Drop Down

Quote Shyvana Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I can’t tell by the pics where the leak is, but if it’s a fitting then the fix should be relatively easy. If it’s a crack then a swap is needed. Hardline does make the work harder. Hardline looks great but has its disadvantages.    I’d consider swapping to flex hoses.

You can put the rig anywhere. I just suggest keeping it off the floor to keep dust pickup down.

It seems like the leak is coming from where the black tube connects to the bottom part of the reservoir. I can't see that area but when I feel it with my finger that's where the most wetness is. Can this be fixed by just tightening something?

I spoke to customer service and it turns out I have flex hoses. > _<; I don't know that much about computers and they looked hard to me.

Originally posted by hoserator

+1Can't add to the above. bprat22 has you covered. The pics are too close to the leak and there are what appear to be cracks but could be the view. Is that the gpu?The loud noise could be the acrylic cracking. Hope not. SadYou can put the pc wherever you want.  Just give it room to breathe and not get choked up with dust/dirt. Big%20Smile

What would it mean if the acrylic cracked? It was like a huge bang as if something was dropped, but the two times it happened nothing happened in our living room and I'd discover the leak shortly after. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or actually related. What would even cause acrylic to crack.

It's the reservoir which is located above the fan, and according to customer service also where the power supply is.

Edited by Shyvana - 13 Feb 2018 at 1:26pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:23am
Acrylic cracks if the metal fittings are over tightened or any other reason it feels like.  It doesn't crack with a loud bang but whatever made the noise might have or really just bad coincidence. Don't have experience with that type of cooler so can't tell you how everything connects. It looks like there are screws holding the fitting to the block but can't tell. If there are, you might want to see if the screws are tight, very gingerly (just thumb and finger, not hand), you don't want to crack it.

Maybe you want to loosen  the screws holding the fitting a little and move the elbow back and forth carefully to seat the o-ring and re-tighten, again, just with fingers holding the tool. Can't think of anything else. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Edited by hoserator - 14 Feb 2018 at 3:48am
OnBake Platinum View Drop Down

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:10am
I have the exact same problem now all of a sudden. The only weird noises as of late is the sound of bubbles rushing when I first turn on the system. This started about a week ago. The leak started today, as far as I can tell. All of a sudden I could smell that fluid XP smell.

I did a little testing and the drip only starts when the system is under stress (benchmark, game, etc). Other than that it's super dry.

Also of note is that I am down a few ounces of fluid XP. I don't know where it went. Maybe it evaporated and the fluid is too low now and that is ultimately what's causing the leak?

Edited by OnBake Platinum - 03 Apr 2018 at 8:17am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:24am
You'll have to give DS a call and see how they want to proceed.

The sound of rushing bubbles could be the supply port sucking in air if the reservoir is to low.  Whatever it is, I would find out before any more heavy usage of the rig. Not too concerned about overheats, the chips will throttle down, but the leaked fluid is going somewhere and could cause issues.   The fluid is non conductive but only if it stays free of contaminates. 

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:57am
Crap, now it's leaking all the time! Dammit, this will be my FOURTH rma on this system! I wish I never went with Digital Storm, I should have refunded my system the first time...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 11:42am
We have seen a lot of customers coming back to the forums with leaking on this particular, Hydrolux Lite Swiftech unit.   I’m sure it’s still a small percentage overall, but is way more than the sealed H Corsair coolers and no issues at all with air coolers. I personally would never order the Swiftech.

If it was me and you send it back, I would have the Swiftech replaced with a Corsair H cooler or air cooler. Problem fixed.     If you water cooled the graphics card then that’s another issue. No need to water cool the graphics card anyways.   

Hope it all works out for you.   

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Apr 2018 at 11:43am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 2:57pm
I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I sent you an email earlier today with some options. We're happy to offer you a full refund or a completely new system (perhaps we should change the cooling system to something else or go with a completely different product).

Nevertheless, let us know how you would like to proceed. We're happy to take care of you either way.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Alex

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I sent you an email earlier today with some options. We're happy to offer you a full refund or a completely new system (perhaps we should change the cooling system to something else or go with a completely different product).

Nevertheless, let us know how you would like to proceed. We're happy to take care of you either way.

Bless you Alex, I wish I had dealt with you from the beginning! I will be emailing you after I do some research/thinking.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by bprat22

No need to water cool the graphics card anyways.   

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

In a standard gaming PC, you get more performance percent to percent (of boost) from your GPU than your CPU.  Most gaming PC's aren't running 10+ core CPU's.  So VRM temps are a huge concern. 

If I could only cool one thing in my case (for whatever reason), I'd cool my GPU 1st.  CPU 2nd, then if radiator room allowed it, VRM's 3rd.

Once again this is only on mainstream, non-HEDT platforms.  Put that baby under water and set it damn near self boost to over 2ghz, while staying in the 50C will give you better and stability in FPS than a 6 core CPU with all cores at 5Ghz.

Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply