Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Death Prodigy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HydroLux Questions
    Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:58pm
Well,
I have a few questions on HydroLux exotic cooling. Is this expensive cooling option worth it if I get CPU only cooling? How would it fare against a H110i? I will not be ccoling the chipset or GPU. It's a $500 price difference.
Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:41am
For a moderate cpu overclock, the H110 cooler will work just fine.   

Edited by bprat22 - 01 May 2014 at 2:41am

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:57am
How about an i7 4930k overclocked to about 4.8GHz? I wonder if the system will run very hot with that, 3 EVGA SC 780 Tis, a Rampage IV Black under ambient temperatures (18-20 degrees) with the H110i as mentioned above? It will be in a Hailstorm II case (Standard Chassis Fans) which apparently provides good airflow. Like I said, I've seen that GPU and chipset watercooling is overkill and good air cooling can easily get 1200MHz core overclocks on EVGA SC 780 Ti GPUs. The HydroLux does seem cool and packed with state of the art liquid cooling features, but is it really worth the expense?
Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 4:48am
If you to push that 6 core chip to 4.8, then water cooling is needed in most cases. DS could actually give you the best answer. I would call and ask them what they see is needed.

Video cards in a case with excellent air flow will take care of themselves. Same for the chipset.   But if you want to get as much oc as possible with gpu and ram then water cooling is your best bet for cooling and noise. Overclocking is the deciding factor over what you need for cooling.

I would think the 900d case would need the side fan option installed in the side window to give a tri-sli overclocked cards enough fresh air.

Edited by bprat22 - 01 May 2014 at 4:53am

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 5:35am
Yes, I will be overclocking the cards (There's not really any need to since the SC ACX 780 Ti cards are already extremely powerful by themselves with core clocks of about 1100MHz, but there's still headroom to push it further to 1200MHz and above without needing watercooling). Is the Hailstorm II case based of Corsair 900D?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 5:47am
Yep, the Hailstorm 2 is actually the Corsair 900D case in case you want to Google it and see test results.

Overclocking the video cards beyond the factory overclock does run some risk of shortening the life span of the cards.  With a tri-sli setup, I question the need for a higher than factory overclock since each card contributes less than the previous by the nature of sli scaling.   But, overclocking is popular.  Each to their own. Big%20Smile
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:32am

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:20am
Yep, I've seen that case and it sure looks large but definitely not overwhelming.

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:21am
Well, CPU only exotic cooling it is then.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:48am
Sounds like a plan.  StrongBig%20Smile
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 10:03am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Death Prodigy

Well, CPU only exotic cooling it is then.

If you are going that route, then you should just go with a closed loop system, rather then the custom loop.   It will save you maintenance on the system. Though, you may not get quite as good of cooling since most closed loops have aluminum radiators vs some customs have copper radiators.

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2014 at 6:06pm
The exotic cooling has alot more features and it has better cooling.

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2014 at 6:24am
Well, but since danjw1 brought up that a closed loop system would be better for CPU only, what if I were to cool my GPU as well (I'll be getting 3x SLI EVGA Superclocked 780 Tis)? Will the HydroLux (3x GPUs + CPU + Chipset be better or worse than the HydroLux Copper Cooling System (Aventum II build)? Which offers better cooling and looks cooler (pun intended, lol) Also, I may not even need to cool the GPU, as moderate overclocks to about 1200MHz for turbo clock don't require that, but the HydroLux watercooling could push it to 1400MHz and above, would there be alot of difference in gaming at 4K between thosr two clock speeds?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2014 at 7:21am
The copper tubing doesn't add to any cooling, but does look awesome if the wallet$$ allows.  Drooling    

Not sure you'd get to 1400Mhz and if you did, I don't know what the performance difference would be.  I think above a moderate oc, its more bragging rights than actual performance, unless you do rendering that squeezes the card for all its worth.    Overclock forums would be a better source of info.  

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2014 at 7:31am
The Aventum allows for 3 420 radiators (3 140mm fan mounts each (2 in bottom section and one on top). It is unclear if these can be swapped for 4x 120mm radiators.

The Hailstorm allows up to 480/420 (4x 120mm fan mounts or 3x 140mm) on top and either side on the bottom. One of the bottom mounts will have 2 have 2 fan slots blocked by the power supply.

You get more radiator area from 3x 140mm arrangement then from the 4x 120mm arrangement. From the most recent information I have seen 120mm vs 140mm the 120mm out perform the 140mm on a noise to static pressure stand point. Static pressure is the most important statistic for a radiator/heatsink fan, since it indicates the ability to push air through a resistant barrier.

As far as what to expect with current games, I suggest you look at the benchmarks in this review that shows numbers for the current high end graphics cards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7930/the-amd-radeon-r9-295x2-review

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2014 at 6:51pm
Well.... I guess then I'd have to wait for the next '15% off' sale around July or Christmas this year to afford the copper cooling system lol

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 12:54am
By the way, don't mean to sidetrack but is there a way to find out the shipping weight of the desktop? Can I get a weight estimate? Also I will be getting a third-party shipping company (Comgateway) to ship my desktop back as I live in Singapore and Digital Storm's shipping costs are extremely high. Will using a third-party company to ship run a high risk of mishandling or damaging the desktop's liquid cooling system (If I pick the copper cooling option)
Thanks

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 3:45am
Anybody got an answer so far?
I figured given the price of my configuration ($7,500) I might as well go the whole hog and use Digital Storm's freight shipping (which seems extremely expensive)? There isn't much option here, though their shipping will definitely cost over $2,000 to ship such a system internationally.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:43am
You may need to call or email them and ask that question as none of us know. Unless Nav or Alex comes back on.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 6:34am
What Arkansas said.  Big%20Smile     Unless someone here has your build there is no way for us to know the weight.   Give DS the config # you've decided on and they can help.

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 8:41am

Well.... I guess then I'd have to wait for the next '15% off' sale around July or Christmas this year to afford the copper cooling system lol

In the photos I have seen the copper tubing actually looks thinner then what I would expect from plastic tubing. This may lead to worse cooling due to lower flow rate. I would suggest asking about the ID for both sorts of tubing.

Edited by danjw1 - 04 May 2014 at 8:41am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 1:27pm

By the way, don't mean to sidetrack but is there a way to find out the shipping weight of the desktop?

It's around 100LBS-120LBS.

Will using a third-party company to ship run a high risk of mishandling or damaging the desktop's liquid cooling system (If I pick the copper cooling option)
Thanks

Should not be, but we can't guarantee that. Since it's on a pallet if you're doing freight, you should be fine as the system would have to be handled with pallet jacks and forklifts.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by danjw1

In the photos I have seen the copper tubing actually looks thinner then what I would expect from plastic tubing. This may lead to worse cooling due to lower flow rate. I would suggest asking about the ID for both sorts of tubing.

The ID (inner diameter) of the copper and custom HydroLux liquid cooling is the same (3/8th). Flow rates will be roughly the same. The non-copper liquid cooling uses thick tubing to help reduce condensation and prevent kinks from bends.

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Alex

By the way, don't mean to sidetrack but is there a way to find out the shipping weight of the desktop?

Will using a third-party company to ship run a high risk of mishandling or damaging the desktop's liquid cooling system (If I pick the copper cooling option)
Thanks

Should not be, but we can't guarantee that. Since it's on a pallet if you're doing freight, you should be fine as the system would have to be handled with pallet jacks and forklifts.

100LBS-120LBS is actually pretty light, what's with the high shipping costs?
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:41am

Originally posted by Alex

Thanks

100LBS-120LBS is actually pretty light, what's with the high shipping costs?

Like bprat mentioned in the other post shipping cost is whatever the carrier and the country's import duties say they are. Its pretty much out of DS's hands on the shipping cost.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 4:05pm
Usually it's import duty/tax that makes shipping expensive.

Quote Death Prodigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:33pm
Well, I emailed customer service and I was quoted about $1400 in freight shipping charges for an 80lbs Aventum II, is the Aventum II freight shipping only? Or I can opt for ground shipping?
 Post Reply Post Reply