FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm baaaaaaack......

Post Date: 2021-04-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teufelhunde View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teufelhunde Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I'm baaaaaaack......
    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:09pm
Budget:

Expectations:
Last likely for the rest of my life (close to 70 now)

Usage:
Normal internet browsing, play Fallout 76, Diablo3 (4 when it drops, if I live that long) and anything else that catches my eye

Saved Ticket #: 3869593

Specifications:
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (8-Core) 4.5 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support) System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong> Expansion Bay: - No Thanks Optical Drive: - No Thanks Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong> Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong> Storage Set 3: - No Thanks RAID Config: - No Thanks RAID Card: - No Thanks Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E (Supports 802.11ac) <br><strong></strong> Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio HPC Processor: - No Thanks Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow) Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans) Internal Lighting: - No Thanks Airflow Control: - No Thanks Chassis Mods: - No Thanks Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong> Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit) Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install) Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 30-35 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I am also considering a laptop (I can hook up my keyboard and monitor to overcome the keyboard and monitor limitations) and am wondering about the pro's/con's of a laptop. I was looking at configuration #3869596 with the following specs:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Avon 15.6 Inch Laptop (Model: DSAV15307010875H)
Display: 15.6 Inch Full HD (144Hz Refresh) (1920x1080) (Matte) (72% NTSC) (Wide Angle) Screen Calibration: Custom Color Calibration Monitor Profile By Professional Sensor Tool <br><strong></strong>
Processor: Intel Core i7-10870H (8-Core) (Up to 5.0GHz) Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Storage Drive 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong> Storage Drive 2: - No Thanks Optical Drive: - No Thanks Wireless Card: Intel Wireless-AC AX201 Dual Band (WiFi 6) (802.11ax) + Bluetooth 5.1 Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (VR Ready) (Max-Q) Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition) Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install) Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10) Office Suite: - No Thanks Cooling Pad: - No Thanks Extra Charger: - No Thanks Extra Battery: - Not Available Carry Bag: - No Thanks
Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Any input on changes/recommendations of pro's/con's is appreciated, as well as comment on potential changes to either system.

Lon
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:22pm
For the desktop, I'd suggest switching to the Ryzen 5 5600X. It's cheaper, newer tech, gaming performance isn't going to see a notable boost with more than six cores, and indeed benchmarks higher.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X vs. AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

I've been mostly console and mobile gaming for a decade or so. Therefore, I'm out of the loop in terms of how well exactly which graphics cards perform with which games. Nevertheless, my off the cuff recommendation would be to upgrade to the 3060 Ti. The 3060 does have more VRAM, but I don't think that's going to be as big of a factor for your use. However, definitely wait for the mainstream gamers to comment.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 vs. Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

As for the laptop... It has good specs. The biggest downside to gaming laptops is they don't have the cooling capabilities of desktops. So, at a minimum: blatant fan noise. At the more extreme end, peak performance is typically very difficult to attain/maintain as thermal management struggles can cause throttling. But again, I don't have a lot of firsthand experience, thus someone else could give better insight.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:27am
Go laptop ONLY if the portability is going to be large factor for all the reasons stated. It is not going to please you for the long haul.

MrCheetah has made the cogent suggestions. If you are happy with 1080p monitor res at "safe and sane" framerates, the 3060 will be excellent. But for $60 more, the upgrade in the 3060 Ti is hard to deny. The Ryzen 5 5600X is an excellent CPU for gaming.

I'm 72. I game at 1080p 60Hz on a 8700K with 6 cores, and have no need of more. Either of those GPUs are far better than the GTX 1070 that is still more power than I need. (It was the only choice I had at time of purchase, the 1060 wasn't out yet.) If I were in the market, I would get the combo MrCheetah recommends at your budget. I would probably blow the extra $60 for the Ti, just because! It will game well at 1440p to about 100 fps, and give you all you will ever need at 1080p highest framerates.

A 500GB Firecuda is quite a bit faster on the PCIe Gen 4 bus, but I understand the desire for a TB there. The difference will not be noticeable if you you don't have one, so I don't recommend you pay extra for the larger Firecuda. I encourage you to partition the larger drive to isolate your OS and associated apps and utilities so you can scan the "C" drive really fast when necessary.

Questions?
 Post Reply Post Reply