FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I've bought my PC! Now I need a monitor/Key/Mouse

Post Date: 2021-07-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chunkeymonk View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chunkeymonk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I've bought my PC! Now I need a monitor/Key/Mouse
    Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 9:20am
Here is my Config #: 3893548

I've bought my PC but now I need a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I haven't played on a pc since 2010 and I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I have large hands so I want a bigger mouse to fit me better, I would also like to have extra buttons on the mouse for skill usage. I don't like loud keyboards, so if there is only that is quieter that would be ideal.

I have no clue about monitors, I'm not sure what my PC could handle in terms of graphics or refresh rates.

I don't have to spend another arm to get the full setup here. If you could give me a few options that are cheap, average, expensive that would be great!

I guess my budget would ideally be under $500. That might not be acheivable but it would be nice.

The games I play are first person shoots or third person like Battlefield, COD, Outriders, some MMO games like WOW and hopefully ashes of creation when it comes out, random other story driven games, and some civilization games.

If anyone could help me out in finding a monitor and mouse and keyboard setup that would be great!
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 3:24pm
I'm a big fan of Logitech Lightspeed Wireless gaming mice. Right now I have their PRO Wireless Gaming Mouse, and it's my favorite mouse of all-time. It's fast, lightweight, reliable, and simple. Here is the full list of their gaming mice:

Logitech Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mice
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 3:40pm
When it comes to monitors under $500, I would look for a G-SYNC monitor with an IPS panel that has at least a 120 Hz refresh rate.

I just ran across this summary of budget G-SYNC monitors, and it looks like they have some decent recommendations. Just click on the link, search for IPS, and also keep your eye on the refresh rate.

Cheap G-SYNC Monitors
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 3:49am
With a 3060 Ti, you're best match is a 1080p monitor (usually 1920x1080, but the first number will be different for a widescreen) for highest framerates on Ultra settings. It is a killer card at that resolution. Stay with 24-27" for best cost, but you can go widescreen if you want. It should be an IPS panel as mentioned, you're card can handle the highest refresh rates, get 144Hz or higher. G-Synch COMPATIBLE is key. It does not have to be pure G-Synch.

#2,5 and 7 from that list fit those specs. The rest are higher resolutions, and will not give you the high framerates a 1080p monitor will give you. There are literally dozens more. Have a look!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gsync+compatible+monitor&i=computers&rh=n%3A1292115011%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A17751792011%2Cp_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A17726573011%7C17726574011%7C17726576011&dc&qid=1626343304&rnid=17726572011&ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin_1

There may be some TN panels hiding in that huge list, but be sure the one you choose is IPS. That type is brighter, has more vibrant colors, and wider viewing angles. Testing has shown higher framerates to be more pleasing to the eye than sharper resolution for most people. Your card will power a 1440p (2560x1440) monitor resolution, but not above 100 fps on highest settings in a whole lot of the latest games. At 1080p, you will not be disappointed in how your display looks, but you will get higher framerates pretty much across the board.

When you pick one, be sure to look at reviews to decide. It's not going to get you a whole lot to spend more than $225-$300. That range should be a very solid choice. IMHO, ACER, ASUS, LG, DELL and MSI are good brands. LG actually makes the panels for a lot of the others, so it's not going to be a poor choice.

I have a Challenger Prime keyboard from Thermaltake. What I like is it has an extra row of programmable keys along the left edge for gaming macros, and it didn't cost the farm. It's quiet. It has membrane switches, not mechanical, which it turns out I don't like.

Multi-functional mice are everywhere. Get a sense of what size you like at a store or two.
 Post Reply Post Reply