FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I got my new system !!!!!

Post Date: 2011-11-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cmacord View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cmacord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I got my new system !!!!!
    Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 11:32pm
TL;DR ---> I got my new system and it rocks !!!!

Well, my new system arrived last Friday (config 610012):

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Quad core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New B3 Revision)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX600 V2
Hard Drive Set 1: 1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Other than a couple of noob questions by me, the system came right up and ran flawlessly from the start. I am in awe of how fast this system is!! I downloaded my free copy of Battlefield 3 (OMG 11.3 gig!!) and used it for initial video testing. With all settings on Ultra, AA set to 4x and AS filter set to 16x, I get 55 PFS at 1920x1080. Turning off AA and AS gives me 85 FPS. I call that pretty awesome, esp.  for someone who had to put up with 5 FPS in Stormwind in WoW (110 FPS in WoW now with everything cranked up to max).

And it's crazy fast in Windows as well. Things I used to turn toward the TV or  go to the bathroom while waiting now just....happen. I also like Win7 just fine,  esp. now that I've learned to use its very weird search function correctly.  Also, I watched "Avatar" on it, and my mother said she thought the colors were  richer and deeper than on my HD TV. The only thing even approaching a problem is  that I get some tearing at the corner of FireFox sometimes (yes, I just upgraded  to the latest video drivers yesterday). It's not that bad, and since FireFox  just released 8.0 and I've got a bunch of addons loaded in it that may not have  been upgraded yet, I'm not worried about it - judging from the position where  the tearing happens, I suspect that it might be a status bar addon that I added  yesterday.

The case is *huge*, and sticks out past the edge of my desk about 9 inches, but I don't mind...I might look for a computer desk to replace this old thing anyway...I would like to be able to have my laptop close to hand for browsing when ToR comes out and serious gaming starts. Speaking of gaming, in addition to WoW and BF3, I have also played DAoC, DCUO, TF2, and SC2 on the system, and they are all mind-blowing.

The case has 4 fans, but they are not loud at all. It is sitting a foot from me, and I can hear them if the TV is muted, but it is just a soft whooshing sound, not at all intrusive. RealTemp and HWMonitor show my CPU core temps to be 34/38/36/37C while typing this, and I have never detected any heat coming from the area of the case.

The only even remotely negative things that have happened with this system were that (1) when I opened the box with the free T-shirt in it, the shirt was stuck to the sealing tape, so the box opener cut a small hole in the shirt. Not a big deal since the largest shirt they offered was XL, and I wear a 3XLT...heh

Also (2) I ordered the blue LED lighting, only to discover when I booted up the system that there is a big square panel at the bottom in the front that is red. Guess I should have paid more attention to the pictures before I ordered, but it does look sort of patriotic...sorta like Darth Vader wearing a flag...

Bottom line: this system has *far* exceeded my expectations. DSO is everything I  was looking for and dreamed for...I will gladly do user testimonials, make  commercials, or just tell people I run into at WalMart how awesome they are...:)
Cooler Master HAF 932
Intel Core i7 2600K
ASUS P8P67
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
600W Corsair CX600 V2
1TB WD Caviar (7200 RPM)
Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer
ATI Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Overclock CPU 4.0-4.4GHz
 Post Reply Post Reply