Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I know HDTVs may be off topic but...
    Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 1:29am
I know TVs may be off topic but this site seems to be my best source for technical information/feedback

Basically what im looking for is a reasonable set $800-$1200 that has a crisp picture with deep blacks and bright whites, displays HD tv channels and HD dvds. I'm not interested in any bells or whistles besides those that enhance color quality.
dont care about bluray, or any other frills besides standard HD connections.

any tips or links to a decent review (which i have not been able to find) would be very much appreciated!
 *edit*
im gunning for the 42, seems like it has real "bang for the buck" quality

so far im torn with
vizio 37"
or the more expensive
or possibly the compromise

Edited by !ender_ - 30 Apr 2008 at 1:40am
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 2:26am
vizio 47" lcd $1399
http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=42

samsung 50" plasma $1299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102147&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=OTC-C173T-_-Plasma-_-SAMSUNG-_-89102147

best ones by far imo

remember that lcd is better in a daytime environment while plasma is better in a dark environment.

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:51am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 9:03am
thanks for the suggestions guys but 50" would probably eat me, not to mention its way outside the price cap of 1200. I'm only 22 and I still will be living in apartments for a bit, i think that 42 should be more than enough screen size. let me try asking this another way, is there anything you see that is seriously lacking with the specs on
or is there something within a 100ish bucks that you feel would be a better buy?
short of actually seeing this thing im pretty well convinced this is what i want
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 7:50pm
That looks nice.  I had a 42" Sony Grand Vega LCD for 4 years and loved it.  I just wanted to get a bigger set and go to Plasma for the deeper blacks and PQ.  LCDs are nice and that one you've picked out is a nice one.  I have a 32" Phillips LCD in the master bedroom and the darn thing is extremely clean on the HD channels.

Be sure to calibrate your set whatever you get so you don't wear it out prematurely.  There are calibration disks you can buy to do that with.  You definitely will want to get it off of factory settings because they are way to bright.  They set them that way to capture your attention in the store.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by harleyman

Hey..I got a 27 in Phillips too...It is beautiful/clean picture......

You running HDMI from the cable box to the TV?  If not, you've got to do it.  Pure digital signal.
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:39pm
I would rule out the Vizio from your choices, just due to the fact that its not 1080p. ALthough HDTV [streaming content] cannot display 1080p, Blueray movies can, so get the monitor with the best current resolution [1080p] at the biggest screen size within your budget.

You can compare features and image quality last.
The latter is hard[er] if you cannot physically see the model in person.
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
traylorc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote traylorc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:51pm
First of all, if possible I would highly recommend that you view this set before purchasing.  I've have bought my share of TVs, currently in my house I have 70", two Sony Bravia XBR (46" and 42 inches), and two other LCDs (27" and 24")...yes I know I have an addiction.LOL  My point is that you want to to make sure you live with the picture quality.  Magnavox's reputation amongts home theater ethusiasts is not the greatest...I have read a number of threads where people describe the numerous problems they have had with Magnavox sets after a few months.

How important is picture control to you?  Some sets give a user tremendous flexibility in calibrating your sets picture.  Other provides simply provide very basic control (brightness, color, contrast).  For a set in this price range I would expect very basic controls.  And I wouldn't expect that you are going to be able to dial in deep, deep blacks or bright whites.  Generally, that is one of the sacrifices made for sets in this price range (no offense).

I would definately go to the store and play around with the controls to see if you can adjust the picture to your liking.  This will also give you an opportunity to test out the sets menu system.  Is the menu intuitive? Or is it a pain in the butt to get to certain options?  Is the remote backlit?  That way if you are watching movies in the dark you don't have to reach for the light to pause the movie.

You may want to visit AVS forum...they have a number of threads regarding specific sets and specific manufacturers.  Read up, and do you homework and you will likely make a purchase which does not cause any buyer's remorse.  Good luck.

traylorc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote traylorc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Duke

I would rule out the Vizio from your choices, just due to the fact that its not 1080p. ALthough HDTV [streaming content] cannot display 1080p, Blueray movies can, so get the monitor with the best current resolution [1080p] at the biggest screen size within your budget.

I agree with Duke in regards to Vizio.  I realize they are currently the fastest growing LCD company, but I like my sets with full 1080p.  In addition, Vizio is realitively a new company so there is really no information out there as to how their sets hold up over the long term.  Quite frankly, I have never been that impressed with Vizio's picture quality...but hey that's me.  Opinions may vary.
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 9:12pm
They sell Vizio's at Wal Mart. Nuff said.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 9:20pm
You realize you have to sit at 10" or closer looking at a 60" or bigger screen to notice a difference between 720p and 1080p -.-'
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 9:54pm
but its a lot cooler saying i got a 1080p instead of a 720p...bigger is ALWAYS better in a mans world.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by skyR

You realize you have to sit at 10" or closer looking at a 60" or bigger screen to notice a difference between 720p and 1080p -.-'

I'm sure you mean 10' at a 60" screen.  And, that is correct to benefit from 1080P.  The eye won't pick-up the contrast until you get to the 10 to 12 foot range from the set. 

Ah yes, Progressive versus Interlace.  Let the debate begin.
traylorc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote traylorc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:40pm

You would be surprised how many people are seated closer than the ideal seating distance recommended for their set.  But I agree, most people would not recoginize the difference.

Still given the declining prices of full 1080p sets it would be almost criminal to pick up not to pick one up.
traylorc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote traylorc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by SunfighterLC

They sell Vizio's at Wal Mart. Nuff said.

I'm not a big Wally World fan, but I would be remiss if I did not mention that they also sell Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, and Phillips.  Those are some of the major players in the LCD market.

Remember, Wally World is competing with retailers such Best Buy for your high def dollar.  So they will sell some of the lesser brands, but they are also going to offer some of the product lines of the big boys.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by traylorc

First of all, if possible I would highly recommend that you view this set before purchasing.  I've have bought my share of TVs, currently in my house I have 70", two Sony Bravia XBR (46" and 42 inches), and two other LCDs (27" and 24")...yes I know I have an addiction.LOL  My point is that you want to to make sure you live with the picture quality.  Magnavox's reputation amongts home theater ethusiasts is not the greatest...I have read a number of threads where people describe the numerous problems they have had with Magnavox sets after a few months.

How important is picture control to you?  Some sets give a user tremendous flexibility in calibrating your sets picture.  Other provides simply provide very basic control (brightness, color, contrast).  For a set in this price range I would expect very basic controls.  And I wouldn't expect that you are going to be able to dial in deep, deep blacks or bright whites.  Generally, that is one of the sacrifices made for sets in this price range (no offense).

I would definately go to the store and play around with the controls to see if you can adjust the picture to your liking.  This will also give you an opportunity to test out the sets menu system.  Is the menu intuitive? Or is it a pain in the butt to get to certain options?  Is the remote backlit?  That way if you are watching movies in the dark you don't have to reach for the light to pause the movie.

You may want to visit AVS forum...they have a number of threads regarding specific sets and specific manufacturers.  Read up, and do you homework and you will likely make a purchase which does not cause any buyer's remorse.  Good luck.

Truth being, calibrating a 27" to 32" LCD is quite simple.  As you stated, contrast, brightness and all the visual adjustment at that size come easy to tweak.

I had an ISF calibration done to my Plasma and the difference is night and day.  It burns cooler, the blacks a truer and the blues were pulled out of the whites.  The color set-up is quite nice.  The problem with disk calibration on your big sets is that you cannot access the service menu to calibrate properly.  The service menu is not the options menu.  It's worth the money to ISF calibrate.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:48pm

You would be surprised how many people are seated closer than the ideal seating distance recommended for their set.  But I agree, most people would not recoginize the difference.

Still given the declining prices of full 1080p sets it would be almost criminal to pick up not to pick one up.

I would agree about selecting the 1080P.  It won't be long before 1080i is the standard anyway.  We'll also see 1080i becoming the standard broadcast soon.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 11:51pm
yea i did a good amount of research over the last few days, basically this is what im boiling it down to:

ideally $900-1200
1080p
DLP (seems more reliable/better quality)
between 37-52" (more than 52 would be complete overkill imo)
built in decoding (no top box or whatever they are called)
viewing range will be roughly 10-15 feet (low lighting)
use: brodcast tv and moives, occasionally may hook up my comp for fun
id say order of importance:
color information
contrast
black blacks
white whites

just like with my computer, im not looking for a BENCHMARK CRUSHER, im looking for a solid, reliable, crisp/thick color television in a reasonable price range. im not an enthusiast, i dont have 8 speakers hooked to my walls, i just want a step up from the $58 4 year old 26inch panasonic

what do you guys think of this:
1199 at circut city

Obviously im going to be in the store playing with these things before i would even THINK of buying them, im just trying to get a solid idea of what my goals are before looking. main reason for DLP over LCD is it seems that the reliability is well worth the price

*edit* i keep reading about this bulb replacement deal with DLP tvs, ive seen that its once a year, once every 6 months, etc, is it based on how hard you push the TV, temps, or luck?

*one more edit* the only thing left that i really am clueless about is cable connection. right now all our TVs coaxial to the wall, if i get this will i have to get a box to get the HD, or is that exactly what the on board decoding that these things talk about is? i realize that you need the HDMI connectors to get the full HDDVD quality, but what happens when i want to watch basic, non HD cable, will the picture be completely screwed? or an old VCR tape (yes i still have lots of those Tongue)

Edited by !ender_ - 01 May 2008 at 12:16am
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:57am
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:27am
wow good find duke
hope that includes DLP Smile
jhill23 View Drop Down

Quote jhill23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:41am
Take that money and get another GTS a 30 inch lcd monitor, a soundcard and a bad ass speaker system for your comp, and just watch movies on that. lol
Pentium 2
128MB of RAM
No GPU
and a 30GB HD

And you wondered why I registered lol (those specs are not a joke)
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 8:32am
Originally posted by !ender_

yea i did a good amount of research over the last few days, basically this is what im boiling it down to:

ideally $900-1200
1080p
DLP (seems more reliable/better quality)
between 37-52" (more than 52 would be complete overkill imo)
built in decoding (no top box or whatever they are called)
viewing range will be roughly 10-15 feet (low lighting)
use: brodcast tv and moives, occasionally may hook up my comp for fun
id say order of importance:
color information
contrast
black blacks
white whites

just like with my computer, im not looking for a BENCHMARK CRUSHER, im looking for a solid, reliable, crisp/thick color television in a reasonable price range. im not an enthusiast, i dont have 8 speakers hooked to my walls, i just want a step up from the $58 4 year old 26inch panasonic

what do you guys think of this:
1199 at circut city

Obviously im going to be in the store playing with these things before i would even THINK of buying them, im just trying to get a solid idea of what my goals are before looking. main reason for DLP over LCD is it seems that the reliability is well worth the price

*edit* i keep reading about this bulb replacement deal with DLP tvs, ive seen that its once a year, once every 6 months, etc, is it based on how hard you push the TV, temps, or luck?

*one more edit* the only thing left that i really am clueless about is cable connection. right now all our TVs coaxial to the wall, if i get this will i have to get a box to get the HD, or is that exactly what the on board decoding that these things talk about is? i realize that you need the HDMI connectors to get the full HDDVD quality, but what happens when i want to watch basic, non HD cable, will the picture be completely screwed? or an old VCR tape (yes i still have lots of those Tongue)

I personally wouldn't invest into a DLP.  It's actually the opposite from what I've been reading.  The DLPs are more problematic.  I would invest into a LCD or Plasma.  

You'll either have to get a box or set-up an antenna to receive HD channels.   Definitely run HDMI from the box to the set and absolutely do not go and spend $100.00 on a HDMI cable.  HDMI is pure digital transfer, and unless you're running 20 to 40 foot cable runs, there is no need to spend the extra money for shielding.  There are two things to know about HDMI cables.  They either work, or they don't.  HDMI cables do not go bad, they just don't work if they're defective.  When they work, they work 100%.  Go to http://monoprice.com and spend 12 to 15 dollars and a 6 to 8 foot, if that's what you need, 1.3a cable and you'll be fine.   No need for cables with Ferrit Cores. 

You can use standard coaxial cabling and get your signal fine, you just won't have the best 1080i picture.  Component cabling is not pure digital and is affected by bleed out from other transmitted sources around your equipment.  Cable shielding is more necessary in a Component cable.  However, Component and HDMI are extremely close in PQ, so it really boils down to the user.  I go HDMI for the best digital signal.  Your picture actually and obviously relies on signal input anyway, so you can have the best equipment and cabling, but if your signal transmission from the source sucks, then you're at the mercy of that unfortunate situation. 

There is an article out right now that shines its light on two major providers, Comcast and Time Warner,  that are compressing the signal to add more channels on the line. Compressing the digital signal is not a good thing when it comes to running more data because of small bandwidth.  Compressing leads to pixilation and paneling on the set that you can see.  Many times people think it's something going on with the cables or equipment when it's not.  It's the provider.  You don't see providers that offer fiber optics to the house compressing signals, so therefore those providers will typically offer a better product you see on the set.

You'll never see 1080P unless your watching Blu-Rays (HD-DUD is a lost format now).  The signal from the provider is only as good as 1080i, so don't expect 1080P from the provider.  Your set will upconvert to 1080P when you're watching a Blu-Ray.  As I had stated before, 1080i will become the standard eventually and you'll see all cable channels go to that format.  

Hope this helps.

Edited by EdH63 - 01 May 2008 at 8:44am
traylorc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote traylorc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by EdH63

Truth being, calibrating a 27" to 32" LCD is quite simple.  As you stated, contrast, brightness and all the visual adjustment at that size come easy to tweak.

I had an ISF calibration done to my Plasma and the difference is night and day.  It burns cooler, the blacks a truer and the blues were pulled out of the whites.  The color set-up is quite nice.  The problem with disk calibration on your big sets is that you cannot access the service menu to calibrate properly.  The service menu is not the options menu.  It's worth the money to ISF calibrate.

Ed I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of ISF calibration.  The calibration really helps your set reach it's true potential.  Most folks are use to oversatuarated colors on their sets.  They go to Best Buy where all the sets are pumped up to Nuke mode in order to attract consumer's attention.  I have a buddy who has a nice plasma, but thinks that calibration is a scam.  I have gone over to his place to watch some football games, he is a huge Raider's fan.  So the Raider's black jerseys represent a real test of his sets ability to generate accurate colors.  Unfortunately, the Raider's black jerseys look as if they are a faded grey color.  On a properly calibrated set those same jerseys look inky black.  Also every white person that comes on screen at my buddy's house looks as if A) They have a bad sunburn or B)  they look like carrots (skin has an orange tint).

I had one performed on my 70" XBR2 and the technician was gracious enough to explain the entire process and allow me to do a before and after evalution of my set.  It was a night and day difference.  An accurately calibrated set brings a sense of depth to your viewing experience.  Not stating that the OP needs to get an ISF calibration, but I thought I would comment on my experience just in case someone was thinking about an ISF calibration.
traylorc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote traylorc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:08pm

I personally wouldn't invest into a DLP.  It's actually the opposite from what I've been reading.  The DLPs are more problematic.  I would invest into a LCD or Plasma.  

I wouldn't invest in a DLP either.  The DLP technology is based on bouncing light off of thousands of little mirrors that vibrate in order to generate a high def picture.  In my mind the main problem with DLP is that the high number of moving parts means there is a greater chance something will go wrong.  I have talked to a number of managers and salespeople who claim they have more returns on DLPs than LCDs and Plasma.  That is one of the reasons you see so many LCDs currently in the market.

Also DLP suffers from the Rainbow effect which is best described as brief flashes of perceived red/blue/green ‘shadows’ observed most often when the projected content features bright/white objects on a mostly dark/black background (an example would be the scrolling end credits of a movie).  Essentially, some folks see "rainbows" or "flickers of colored light" while watching programming.  Some folks are more sensitive to this effect than others but it can lead to eye strain and headaches.  The rainbow effect is the byproduct of the DLP technology.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:10pm

I wouldn't invest in a DLP either.  The DLP technology is based on bouncing light off of thousands of little mirrors that vibrate in order to generate a high def picture.  In my mind the main problem with DLP is that the high number of moving parts means there is a greater chance something will go wrong.  I have talked to a number of managers and salespeople who claim they have more returns on DLPs than LCDs and Plasma.  That is one of the reasons you see so many LCDs currently in the market.

Also DLP suffers from the Rainbow effect which is best described as brief flashes of perceived red/blue/green ‘shadows’ observed most often when the projected content features bright/white objects on a mostly dark/black background (an example would be the scrolling end credits of a movie).  Essentially, some folks see "rainbows" or "flickers of colored light" while watching programming.  Some folks are more sensitive to this effect than others but it can lead to eye strain and headaches.  The rainbow effect is the byproduct of the DLP technology.

You are very correct in your comments on Rainbow effects on DLPs.  Bottom line on DLPs and LCDs is that they both have pixel bleeding.  This is when light escapes around the pixel.  You cannot get around that issue with these technologies.  If you want the best visual depth, colors and PQ in general, Plasma is the way to go.

Edited by EdH63 - 01 May 2008 at 1:11pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:13pm
1080i will not be the HD standard because 720p is superior when it comes to sports, games, and action movies.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:15pm
Cable companies are not broadcasting in 720p though.  There using 1080i and your set converts that.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:29pm
NBC, Discovery, CBS, ... are broadcasting in 1080i.

ABC, EPSN, Fox, TSN, ... are broadcasting in 720p.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:37pm
Just to follow-up a bit on this, I'll post a brief read http://ezinearticles.com/?720p-Vs-1080i-HDTV&id=91443

Cable companies are compressing signals now to get more HD channels in the pipeline.  This is why you'll see the pixelations, or paneling across your set every now and then.  There is now way a provider can offer both formats in one pipeline unless they expand the pipeline.  720p carries more information so it uses more bandwidth and I can't see providers sacrificing more HD channels for better PQ right now.

There is a race by providers to offer the most HD channels on their networks, but bandwidth usage is the wall that they're hitting right now.  The more HD channels they keep adding to the pipeline without increasing the bandwidth is resulting in poor signal transmissions.  They see the workaround to this as compressing the signal which diminishes the PQ.  Catch 22.  Until the bandwidth issue is addressed cable providers will offer less than premium service for a premium price.  Increasing bandwidth equals higher prices to the consumer.  We already pay way too much for these kinds of services.

We can thank our US government for the lack of pipeline expansion and special interests.

Edited by EdH63 - 01 May 2008 at 1:37pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 2:13pm

1080i will not be the HD standard because 720p is superior when it comes to sports, games, and action movies.

You are right about 720p being "a" standard for sports networks, skyR, but the industry standard for non-sports networks will gravitate toward 1080i.  I would like to see more bandwidth in the pipeline so we can see both formats co-exist.  If it happens, and it probably will, we're going to pay for it.
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 4:50pm
Check this thread out

BTW AVS is the supreme audio visual nerdout place. Tons of info there.
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 5:13pm

You know, Why is a TV thread the longest thread on a computer forum?!

This thread also probably has the most moderator responces as well...haha.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Duke

Check this thread out

BTW AVS is the supreme audio visual nerdout place. Tons of info there.

Backs-up everything I've been talking about here.  Your cable provider will dictate just how well your new $30,000.00 home theater will look in its final production... sad.  The only way you'll get 100% visual performance and PQ out of you system will be to hook-up a BDP and play a BD.   I am in the process of dropping TW and going  to a fiber provider.  It makes me sick that you spend a butt load of cash on a home theater system, just to have it it reduced to "ok" by your provider.

Cable providers suck.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by SunfighterLC

You know, Why is a TV thread the longest thread on a computer forum?!

This thread also probably has the most moderator responces as well...haha.

Funny thing is,  TVs are gearing toward PC integration anyway.  The future of television is to have voice activated commands you speak to the set that will take you to certain channels and integrated websites.  For instance, you say Ford, and the TV turns to a certain channel and brings you to a Ford website or a local Dealer. 

This integration is not to far off.  How will that affect PC boutiques like DS?  I believe that the smart boutiques will be the ones that align themselves with this technology and embrace the market.  They may not have a choice. 

Edited by EdH63 - 01 May 2008 at 6:47pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 9:14pm
seems like im really just going to have to put this to the test, im planning to hit up target, best buy, walmart and maybe some shops in the mall to see all this stuff up close and personal
my MAIN concern right now, honestly, is reliability. my computer hang ups have yet to stop and the only reason i made it this far is bc of DSOs customer service... not something typically offered by a retail store or even a mainstream company like samsung or magnavox

my plans are to compare 1080 to 720, lcd to dlp, see how each tv handles a TYPICAL analog signal from cable and plain dvd (also very important to me as i will not be blowing tons on all sorts of accessories and the newest players), see the black v white and drill each store on which type has yielded the most returns/reliability problems

at this point i still feel like ill be picking the 
 unless what i physically see is dramatic enough to change my mind

if someone can find what they feel is a comparable LCD, or better, at NO MORE than the 1200.00 for that samsung, id really like to see it

also, in light of the obvious plan to slash prices, no matter what i see i will not be buying until at least 2 weeks into the month, maybe later

Edited by !ender_ - 01 May 2008 at 9:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>