Post Date: 2019-11-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
retrowolf98 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote retrowolf98 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I need some help
    Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 6:23pm
So ive been wanting a pc for a REALLY long time and im getting one this christmas, im getting the good version of the lynx and i plan on getting modern warfare with it and a few other newer games. can this rig run games like that at high settings and 60 fps?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 12:01am
Post your configuration and your monitor resolution and The Smart Guys® can come along and help you out.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 4:45am
Assuming the "good" Lynx is the Level 4, the RTX 2070 SUPER in there will well exceed 60 fps (if possible on your monitor) at 1080p on ultra. At 1440p, it would put you at or just over 60 fps on all but the most demanding games. Even those would be close enough to 60 you wouldn't see much difference. The performance you get from a Lynx Level 4 for gaming is quite phenomenal for that price.

Examples: will run COD Modern Warfare up to 140-156 fps at 1080p on Ultra; Borderlands 3, 73-81: Far Cry 5, 102-114; Metro Exodus, 63-71. The range is minimum to average fps. Metro series is notorious for stressing GPUs.

At 1440p, those numbers would be: 112, 57, 95, and 55fps respectively, average

You should be very happy!

Quote retrowolf98 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 7:59am
sadly, no its not the level 4 its the level one. i cant really spend that much on a pc right now (im only 14 lmao)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 5:01am
Okay retrowolf98, welcome to DS, our Forum, and welcome to PC gaming. a DS computer at 14 is a great place to start!

Even with the Level 1, you will have a machine that can play games and provide you a lot of fun. It's performance will not s*ck, but it will be something you will want to start saving to upgrade when you can. The only things you will need for some pretty great gaming will be a video card and a solid state hard drive (SSD).

The level one relies upon graphics capability built into the Ryzen 5 3400 CPU, and does not come with an SSD. As an entry level starter, it will get the job done, but it will not be something to be happy with for several years. The advantage of an SSD is that it is over 10 times faster than a mechanical hard drive (HDD), and that speed is great to have for Windows, school work type programs, and all the things you should have to maintain your computer well... like anti-virus, anti-malware, and a program or two that help you keep your drive from filling up with junk from the internet. It will help all those things run very, very fast, while games and storage can go on the HDD, no problem.

The advantage of a video card (Graphics Processing Unit, or GPU), is that it will display everything faster and in better resolution than the on-board graphics. Some games you will want to play will be very slow on the Level 1, so you will want to save up for a GPU right away. When ready, come back here with what you can spend, and we will advise you.

As it happens, the level 2 comes with both of these things, plus a much better and longer lasting processor (CPU). Why is it longer lasting? The i7 9700F is a very, very fast and powerful CPU that will game well for 5-8 years into the future. The extra $300 for those three extra things is a bargain. Just sayin'.

I hope this helps! Ask anything else you want!

Quote retrowolf98 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 6:45pm
yes, i am saving up to buy a 1050 ti as soon as i get it because im getting a job soon. but is the only thing ill have to really worry about is the gpu and ssd? or more ram as well. (also i was looking to play games modern warfare, and alot of other cods, cs go, rocket league, and a few other more graphically demanding games) will the 1050 ti be able to do this?
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:00pm
My forum pal Cretae is spot on here with his advice for you.    

Save just $300 more to grab a DS Lynx Level 2 at $999 already equipped with 3 better components that will help you play better games, and do much better for you for school work as well.... for less than you would spend to buy them separately and install.    Btw most parents & grandparents would appreciate that kind of logical plan from a 14yr old ...and maybe with Xmas coming you might even get some help...lol.    Just happens to play games lots better as well...

Stronger Intel i7_9700F 8-core cpu, a faster 250 GB SATA III SSD Drive1 as your Win10 boot drive in addition to the big Drive2 2 TB HHD....and a newer faster performing GTX 1650 4 GB VRAM GPU.    The GTX 1050 Ti was obsolete soon as the new GTX 1650 came out.

You would still want to add another 8 GB RAM when you can, but RAM is getting cheaper...and it’s a very easy plug and play install you could do later. Lynx 2 comes with a 300-H mobo with 4 slots, so it will likely come with 2x 4 GB DIMM...and 2 open slots for adding more easily.    

Level 1 Lynx only has 2 RAM slots so you would have to replace the 2 x 4 GB DIMMS it comes with to upgrade to more RAM. Wasted RAM.

Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 7:39am
Originally posted by retrowolf98

yes, i am saving up to buy a 1050 ti as soon as i get it because im getting a job soon. but is the only thing ill have to really worry about is the gpu and ssd? or more ram as well. (also i was looking to play games modern warfare, and alot of other cods, cs go, rocket league, and a few other more graphically demanding games) will the 1050 ti be able to do this?

Yes, but like the other folks are saying, you're much better off spending the extra $300 for the Lynx Level 2.  That gets you a better CPU, a GTX 1650 which is much faster than a 1050, and an SSD in addition to the HDD.

Quote retrowolf98 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 6:43pm
ive already solved it im just gonna build one myself. i can get way better bang for buck with a custom build. a tech store down the road does builds if u give them the parts.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:54am
Originally posted by retrowolf98

ive already solved it im just gonna build one myself. i can get way better bang for buck with a custom build. a tech store down the road does builds if u give them the parts.

Always an option and a good learning experience.

Good luck on the warranty, though. Hope everything works.   
 Post Reply Post Reply