FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I waited for the 1080... Need Advice.

Post Date: 2016-05-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Olerong View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I waited for the 1080... Need Advice.
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:15pm
Budget:
$7,000

Expectations:
I would like the system to support two ROG SWIFT PG348Q monitors at Ultra settings for current generation games.

Usage:
4K gaming with Ultra settings and VR ready; gaming includes Overwatch, Doom, Witcher III, etc.

Special Needs:
None. I am also considering a Velox since noise is not an issue for me. Thoughts?

Saved Ticket #: 1421111

Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 3:59pm
well, a single and dual GTX 1080 will handle 3440x1440 no problem. You'll still be able to max settings out and be getting over 60 fps in games like Doom. The Witcher, I'll need to see some benchmarks...but it still won't struggle at all. So two of them in SLI will definitely give you extremely nice and smooth > 2k gaming.

You can run 2x 3440x1440 monitors, with no real issues, but if you are trying to do a two monitor extended desktop or a 2 monitor surround... you're going to be taxing them. I'd be curious to see a benchmark.

But I can promise you, if you're using both of those monitors at the same time, but only gaming at full screen Ultra settings on just one, while you use the other for whatever... yea no issues at all. I just can't promise you on performance for ultra settings with new AAA titles when combining 2x ultra widescreen monitors. No clue on what kind of numbers the 1080 will give us.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 4:46pm
if you're thinking of doing one huge image in a "surround" type of environment with those ultra wides you're going to need 3 of them.  two would put the bezels right in the middle.  if, like Meller said, you intend to extend the desktop and use one for gaming and the other for web surfing or whatever that's fine.  i haven't had personal experience with the new cards, but my 2xGTX 980ti's under water using a 4k gaming screen with gsync, with a 1080p monitor for web surfing, didn't fair so well in The Division.  now the 1080 is supposed to be about 25-30% more performance, so i don't know how well a single 1080 would do at 4k (ultra settings all the bling), i'm betting not so good in ALL games.  all i know is that i reduced settings to "High" in the Division just to get average frames at 50FPS with frame drops into the low 40's quite frequently.  obviously that particular game has optimization issues, because the gpus were only getting 75%/65% at most utilization.  but that's the thing, right?  you want to cover all of your bases.  you don't want to spring for the cost of your system, getting it tuned how you want, and then buy a game that you really want to play only to find out it runs like crap.

if you really want to do 4k well, and power through poor dev optimization of games, you need to go overboard on the hardware and not just get what theoretically is just enough.  we were speculating in another thread that waiting for the 1080ti or Titan version of these new cards is potentially going to be the first single card/gpu solution to do 4k well.  however, the 1080's are going to have to be sli'd to cover all of your bases, imo. 

i also didn't like 4k@60Hz.  i came from 1080p@120Hz, so while the 4k was glorious looking while standing still, in action it was extremely noticeable how slow it was.  it just wasn't the smooth game play i was used to with higher refresh rate monitors.  i will go on record stating that i had a better gaming experience on 1080p@120Hz than on 4k@60Hz.  4k@120Hz should be here already (another discussion some of us forum regulars were having) because display port 1.3 standard has been out so long that dp 1.4 just released in March.  the only problem is the monitor industry is lagging behind and 4k@120Hz won't be realized until next year at the earliest.  

anyway, just some thoughts (from one person's personal experience and preferences) to keep in mind.        
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 4:53pm
Actually, DB, the new GTX 1080 in a single card format is rocking most new AAA titles in 4k with Ultra/Max settings (rocking/destroying meaning it is doing over 60 FPS). I have yet to see a Witcher 3 4k benchmark... but I would bet you anything that two GTX 1080's can do 4k. I don't know about 2-3x 3440x1440 in surround that. That's pretty intense.

And yea, 4k@120hz is something we could actually use now that we have cards that can single handed push over 60 fps on average at 4k in new games. With drivers maturing, I'm pretty sure we're going to see FE/Reference cards hang out around 30% more performance, while our Custom PCB's will probably be hanging out in the 40's%. I do think with this, we will see a 120hz 4k market by the time CES 2017 rolls around. We actually have cards that aren't struggling to play at 60+ fps @ 4k.

But still, 2x GTX 1080 in SLI pushing 3x 3440x1440... that is going to be very rough. I'd bet you aren't running things in max settings with 60 fps at that... unless it's LoL.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:02pm
yeah no doubt 2x1080's at 4k, but even with mature drivers/custom cards for 30-40% performance improvement over 980ti i'd still hold out for the ti/Titan versions for a single card solution to 4k if it were my rig.  i'd like to power thru all games and not just most.  i haven't seen the testing you've obviously put the time in watching.  i was just shocked to see how bad the experience was for me in that particular game, and even if it were optimized, just how huge of a difference 60Hz vs 120Hz made (especially at that resolution and screen size 32").  perhaps the 30-40% is enough of a difference. 

let me ask you how well you think my 980ti's will do with a single PG34Q?  my ti's are oc'd 1430MHz core/8K memory.

Edited by db188 - 28 May 2016 at 6:06pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2016 at 1:47pm
Here is a link from AnandTech that tested the GTX 1080 Founders card in many different games at different monitor resolutions. Witcher 3 is one of the games tested.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1714

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2016 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by db188

yeah no doubt 2x1080's at 4k, but even with mature drivers/custom cards for 30-40% performance improvement over 980ti i'd still hold out for the ti/Titan versions for a single card solution to 4k if it were my rig.  i'd like to power thru all games and not just most.  i haven't seen the testing you've obviously put the time in watching.  i was just shocked to see how bad the experience was for me in that particular game, and even if it were optimized, just how huge of a difference 60Hz vs 120Hz made (especially at that resolution and screen size 32").  perhaps the 30-40% is enough of a difference.  let me ask you how well you think my 980ti's will do with a single PG34Q?  my ti's are oc'd 1430MHz core/8K memory.

Depends on the games. Like if you were to play The Witcher 3 on Ultra with hair works... ~30 fps +/- 10fps. Turn off hair works, 50-60 fps. Shooters, 60+ fps. MMO's 60+ fps. I think you'll be rocking 60 fps on almost everything... you just might have to slightly tune the graphics alittle here and there. Turn AA off or turn it down. At that resolution you can probably get away with having it on. I know AA is kind of pointless at 4k. So you have that going to your advantage.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 3:07pm
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about waiting for the Ti or Titan announcements, just to see what the performance increase would be over the Founder's edition. Are these being released in the late-Summer or early-Fall timeframe?

Also, any thoughts on Haswell vs. Skylake processors? Thoughts on waiting for Cannon Lake? I believe that is slated for a 2Q 2017 release, so I probably won't wait for that.
Jimbostein View Drop Down

Quote Jimbostein Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:09pm
The GTX 980 TI came out 9 months after the 980. The Titan X came out 6 months after the 980.

So, perhaps we might see the 1080 titan for the holidays? If that...and maybe the 1080TI as a refresh Q1 2017, if history is any indication. That's if they make the titan/TI versions at all. Rumors show that theres prototype 1080TI versions being tested.

They're not going to release the 1080TI in 2-4 months...heck the 1080 might not even be widely available in 2 months.

The numbers on the skylake processors aren't very impressive in terms of actual progress. They're more power efficient and have better integrated graphics, but...meh. That said, if you're building a new computer, it's not exactly expensive to go to the new skylake chips. I don't know much about the next chip beyond skylake, but it's important to reiterate that Intel has publicly stepped away from the old "tick/tock" paradigm of upgrade-refinement-upgrade-refinement.

I think all the 2016/2017 major releases (skylake/pascal) have pretty much taken place, and now's a good time to get a new computer.

What's not widely appreciated yet is that most games today are still based on console ports and dx11. Dx12/vulkan represents the largest leap we might see in gaming in a decade, once games made with dx12/vulkan start coming out. You'll want to have a strong DX12 card in your hands, and sooner rather than later.

And of course, VR has arrived, if thats your thing. The 1080 is much, much better than the 900 series in this respect.
 Post Reply Post Reply