FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I want a midsize case? Coridium?

Post Date: 2016-06-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I want a midsize case? Coridium?
    Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:05pm
Okay - so my plan for desktop gaming is to only have 1 graphics card. I don't want to do crossfire - Yeah, I'll try to get the best graphics card at the time, but I don't want 2 graphics cards.

I also don't want a big bulky fullsize case because of my circumstances.

I am interested in the digital storm coridium but I am wondering why it's not offered on the main desktops page?

The apollo apparently is also full sized as well. How is the coridium case compared to others?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 3:44am
The Corridium is a very good case, and some of us regularly recommend it.   It's the Corsair 450d vs the Apollo 760 t if you want to Google and compare.

It's not featured because they can't feature every case and the Apollo is a flashier, larger case with a few added features.   

The Corridium has about the same cooling as the Apollo with 2x front and a rear fan.   It doesn't have the fan control like the Apollo but that's more gimmick than actual need. The Corridium, being a bit smaller, has less front optical drive bays, 2 vs 3, and fewer internal sleds for drives, But how many does the majority actually need.

They both can hold and cool whatever you want and it comes down to size and aesthetics.   

Hope this helps.

Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:29am
Thanks I highly appreciate it. Just wondering why there is no medium size case at all haha. Is the coridium the only mid size case DS offers? Just checked and apparently it only has 2 USB slots :o

While the Apollo has 4!

Edited by Moritsuna - 04 Jun 2016 at 8:39am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:41am
My pleasure.   The case itself has only 2 front USB, but the back I/O, where the motherboard is, has many more, depending on the motherboard you select.  If you select 'more info' under each mobo you can see what it has for hookups.

The Corsair 400Q, featured under the Slade configs and selectable under Apollo, , is also a mid-tower.  

Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:55am
Thanks. Looks like I'm planning to get the coridium then - Can you advise me on this config? I'm most clueless about power supply and cooling. Do I need the bigger radiator/performance fans?

Item 1 --- Digital Storm Apollo (Config # 1428098)
$2,731.00
$2,731.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Coridium

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Western Digital / Toshiba)
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-N53 (Dual Band Performance) (Supports 802.11n/g/b)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:18am
That build looks very good.    You didn't mention your monitor setup, but if its a single 1080p or 1440p then it'll game great. 

Couple of changes.....  Swap the 5930k for the less expensive 5820k cpu.  The only difference is the number of Pcie lanes for graphics, and with your single card, the 5820k is all you'll need.  Even sli would be good.  Saves a few bucks.

Change the secondary HDD for the Western Digital Black for another $29.  More reliable and longer warranty over a Seagate.

For just gaming you could start with level 2 and go with the Z170 chipset.   Its a 4 core vs your 6 core and tests a bit better in gaming.  But, not by much and if they ever utilize DX12 for added cpu core usage, the X99 build you put together would benefit.  But that's a big maybe.  Z170 would be a little cheaper. 

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:44am
Thanks again. Speaking of processor what about the "Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4GHz"? It's newer but cheaper? Just did some research apparently it's a broadwell vs haswell thing, I do feel more comfortable getting a newer processor even though it may be technically "less powerful".

Might do your route as suggested and still get the 1080i cause I'm thinking that matters most!

Yes monitor wise, going to be ordering a monitor as well. 24 inch Asus

Thanks to your suggestions I can save around $200 and still get the 1080 card https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1428146

Edited by Moritsuna - 04 Jun 2016 at 9:57am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:52am
I knew you were going to ask.  Hahaha

If you drop to the 28 lane 6800k Broadwell, similar to the 28 lane 5820k, you are still saving money over the 40 lane 5930k  but not as much..  Its a newer processor, just released, but my initial look- see is that its not worth the extra money.   The 6800k is cheaper than the 5930k but $150 over the 5820k. 

If you want the latest then the 6800k is it and still less than your build by $50.    Otherwise, pocket $200. 
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:58am
Oh my bad, I did like you suggested and went for the level 2 build - It only gives you options for skylake processors which is what I'm planning to opt for. I didn't realize there were 3 codenames haha

Edit: Thanks for anything haha learned alot about processors today !

Edited by Moritsuna - 04 Jun 2016 at 10:03am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:05am
Yeah all these code names are confusing. Hahaha
   The Z170 Skylake setups are my choice.    You can also save money by getting the i5-6600k  cpu over the 6700k.  The i7 does have hyperthreading meaning same core count but double the threads, but gaming makes little use of it.   The Hyperthreading is great for multi tasking, etc, so not a wasted purchase.  Depends on the budget.  i7 if you can and i5 if things are tight .  
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 2:20pm
Okay so I'm planning on getting the z170 with skylake for sure. Can anyone provide any insight on the most ideal cooler? Since the founders edition 1080 is a relatively new card, I don't know what ideal cooling setup I shoudl choose. I'm also guessing I won't overclock it as well.

Still however, I'd like to have reliable cooling. What size radiator cooler? It goes from 120mm to 280mm.

I don't think I need hydrolux. I just need a reliable cooling system that won't get in the way just in case I decide to replace the graphics card down the line.

And second thing - Should I wait for nvidia's partners (asus, MSI, EVGA) on their version of the 1080?

Edited by Moritsuna - 04 Jun 2016 at 2:21pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 3:22pm
The 120mm rad will be ok, but I would opt for the Corsair h100 with its 240mm rad. Just gives you more cooling and helps the case airflow. It mounts under the top, the 120mm mounts against the back wall where the rear fan is.    It won't have anything to do with the graphics card, just the CPU.

The custom cards, EVGA, Asus, etc will most likely have better power delivery circuitry and better air cooling with their multi fans, if the past is any indicator.   The reference, Founders Edition is also fine. It's single fan blows all the heat out the back.   The custom cards with multi fan will dump a lot of the heat into the case.   But, for your single card setup, no problem. Either is fine, but I believe the customs will be cheaper, Nvidia charging a premium for the initial releases.
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 3:36pm
It might actually make more sense to get the founders edition, since I am getting a smaller case- more air blown out the back is less hot air inside of it. So the coridium case is compatible with all these air coolers? If that's the case then yeah I'll definitely get the 240mm radiator.

Edited by Moritsuna - 04 Jun 2016 at 3:37pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm
The Coridium can hold the h100i under the top.

The Founders Edition will keep the heat out of the case, so it's a consideration for sure. I always recommended the reference single fan cards until the last generation or so video cards just for that reason.   The newer cards do benefit from overclocking but there's still the added heat.   It's normally an sli setup where the added heat can be of a concern, but the card is powerful either way.
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 4:00pm
Thanks- looking forward to making the purchase within this month or the next. Hopefully by then the 1080 driver will be updated, apparently a problem with fan throttling or something. Will update with final config before I make the purchase.

Edited by Moritsuna - 04 Jun 2016 at 4:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply